Mixed Doubles Tactics

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jason, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Jason

Jason Guest

can someone gimme advice on how to play mixed doubles realli effectively?? thx!

2. Pete

Pete Guest

That really depends on the strength of your partner.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Tactically, mixed doubles is by far the most difficult badminton discipline. A good mixed doubles pair has to rely on "pre-determined choreography" a lot more than in level doubles, as improvisation is a lot riskier due to the different physical abilities of the two players. For this reason, rallies are generally longer than in level doubles -- you need to be very patient and not attack too early!

Anyway, here's a couple of links that will give you some good hints:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/techniques/mixed-double.php
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/techniques/mixed-doubles-defense.php

4. Jason

Jason Guest

well... I play without a constant partner... but I always prefer to be in the back and so does my partner cuz then she wont have to run too much if at all...

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Jason: Do you play at Cameron on Friday nights?

6. Jason

Jason Guest

yes i do~

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I will be there Friday for the 9:30 session, but usually get there earlier to sign up. If you would like some coaching or advice, let me know, I will be happy to assist.

8. Jason

Jason Guest

thanks... but how can i tell it's you? ^^"

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    What time do you usually play on Fridays at Cameron? I usually see a few kids playing mixed doubles on the first court in the gym. Are you playing in that group? My wife and I normally warm up by the benches behind the court.

I'm an old chinese guy wearing glasses - no, I guess that's not specific enuff on Friday night Cameron. I'll be carrying a black and red Forza bag.

If you stay for the 9:30 session, with your partner, my wife and I will be more than happy to play mixed games with you. She could assist your partner.

10. Jason

Jason Guest

thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it ^^... however, I cannot stay for the 9:30 cession (curfew problems ^^") so... I guess I'll pass on the offer... (ugh... wut a loss ><)

11. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Well, I'll be there anyways around 8:45 to sign up. If you recognize my Forza bag, give me a shout. I will take a look at your game, and try to help.

12. Jason

Jason Guest

thanks lots ^^

13. Jason

Jason Guest

Bardad... I'm off to cameron... I'm wearing a sleeveless white top and either dark blue nike shorts/silver nike tearaways... and i got glasses... if i dont recognize you... plz gimme a shout... thx ^^

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Hey saw a bit of your doubles game. You disappeared before I got a chance to talk to you.

Don't know if you want an assessment or what. My wife and I noticed some of your technique and strategies. First off - if you really want to improve, you will need to play serious games, with stronger players than with the group you are with. One of the kids is not too bad, but all rallies are not played with any intensity, focus or strategy.

From a techical level, you may want to consider coaching to work on various aspects of your skill set. A simple point to mention is that you are holding the racquet with an incorrect grip. Everything else starts from this point which you will need to correct. If you are serious about improving your game, stop me next week and let's have a chat.

15. Jason

Jason Guest

Hi... sorry about yesterday... my friend taht was suppose to give me a ride home kinda made a joke n triend to take off without me ^^".... good thing they waited for me outside ^^"... so i kinda took off in a hurry

well... that game yesterday... my partner was centennial's sr badminton team last year... the opponent that did most of the drops and net shots and could smash is usually very good... don't know what happened to him yesterday... and his partner just likes to fool around... so it wasn't exactly a very serious game yesterday. and since like I said... we dont really have set partners, we dont always use a "set strategy" so we havto adapt to the strategies as we go along...

My technical level... well... I'd rather say I had none ^^"... cuz tell yout the truth... I didn't know how to smash before the end of last summer.... it's only been about 8 months since I've actually known how to "play" the game... so... i guess my grip would be faulty... but the good players there (there's another guy there that was, and still is very good... but he tends to play more basketball now cuz he's got no opponent that's good enough >< ) i ask for help... but he can only help on the macroscopic level.... footwork, where to put the birdie during the game etc.... so I've not have much help on my form... that's what's kinda frustrating me...

and... I'm wondering if you have ICQ or MSN... cuz I'd also like, if possible, tips whenever... cuz I know the there's not that much time from the end of my cession til the time my friend that usually givs me the ride home leaves... so... here's my ICQ and MSN accounts
    MSN: jchen99@telus.net

if you dont have either.... then I guess we can chat on this form...
    and again... thank you very much... I really really appreciate your help ^^

16. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Will catch you on MSN...

17. Norman

Norman Guest

Dear Jason,
    I Followed your corispondence wirh Badrad but I would like to keep to the subject about Mixed Doubles:-
    The first tip is PLAY A HIGH SERVE ON THE LADY AND A LOW SERVE ON THE MAN
    2) THE LADY SHOULD ALWAYS CLEAR CROSS COURT AND THE MAN WILL PLAY A STRAIGHT CLEAR
    3)wHEN THE LADY PLAT CROSS LOBS SHE WILL MOVE A LITTLE TO THE BACK AND PUT THE RACKET IN FRONT OF HER FACE READY FOR A CROSS SMASH.
    4 ) tHE MAN WILL SMASH ON THE LADY IF POSSIBLE. I THINK THESE ARE A FEW IMPORTANT TIPS FOR MIXED

18. Jason

Jason Guest

thx for the advice.. however... #4 is not utilizable... since we play amongst our friends... I will be yelled at if I am constantly smashing at the lady on the opponent team ^^" other tips were useful.. thx ^^

19. Norman

Norman Guest

Dear Jason,
    When I said you have to smash on the lady I didn't say that you are going to win the rally for sure:)
    The lady could defend the cross smsh by putting the racket in front of her face and she could make your life miserable by returning the shuttle straight to mid court.
    Mr. Jason when we are playing we are playing against OPPONENTS not friends.
    You can enjoy winnining against friends too.
    If you keep smashing on the lady ( The other team will learn not to play too much lobs. So you will be helping them too. )
    I am happy that my other advices were accepted.

;) :)
    LOL
    Norman

20. Jason

Jason Guest

haha... i know ^^... but mind you know that all the ladies i play with are older than me... ^^"