View Full Version : Yonex Shuttles - what do the numbers mean?

FlyingTiger31
06-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Hi

I tried a search - but can't believe this hasn't come up before?! I normally play with Yonex AS Shuttles and now I see they have the AC shuttles out. I gather the AC are made from Duck Feathers - so are they not as good as the AS range? But what do the AS numbers mean? AS10, 20, 30 etc?! I normally play with AS40's as that what my club have but i cant seem to find out what the difference between, say 10 and 40 would be and there's nothing on the Yonex site!

Thanks for your anticipated help, FT

cooler
06-14-2010, 07:11 PM
higher the number, the better the shuttle grade.

AS 10,20,30,40,50

good<--------------> best ( in the AS series)

dont know if AS10 is duck feather or not, i use AS20 becoz they are goose feather for sure.
If u can afford AS40 for club play, u r above the average crowd.

FlyingTiger31
06-15-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm sure that the As series are all Goose but the AC are duck. Not sure how different that makes them.

When you say they are better 'grade' - what does that actually mean? They're more consistent, they last longer, the fly better....?! I looked today at an AS40 compared with an AS10 and the 10 looked narrower, as it it would be faster, but i cant imagine thats the case?!

NoRice4U
06-15-2010, 05:22 AM
I'm sure that the As series are all Goose but the AC are duck. Not sure how different that makes them.

When you say they are better 'grade' - what does that actually mean? They're more consistent, they last longer, the fly better....?! I looked today at an AS40 compared with an AS10 and the 10 looked narrower, as it it would be faster, but i cant imagine thats the case?!

The AS is all goose feather, the narrower it is doesnt mean its faster because the weight of the cork is pretty crucial. The higher the number the better the quality in all aspects except price is good. The top of the range AS50 is mainly used in Open Graded tournament.

Even if the shuttle has a few scratches or bits and pieces of it has fallen off its speed is still as fast as its brand new but for club players don't complain because its really EXPENSIVE.

The reason why it is expensive is for its speed and "feel", the shuttle is easy to go out because of its speed so control is very important.

pBmMalaysia
06-15-2010, 01:21 PM
as 10 to 50 series are all made in china from goose feather

as 10 & 20 are low end suitable for training (sorry, those using these grade for playing!)

as 30 are used mostly by players because of the affordable 'high price'

as 40 are the best considering the flight and durability and of course the price as well

and lastly as 50 is special tournament grade shuttlecock and not so durable as as 40 be flight is guaranteed

as 2 to 5 series are made in taiwan from duck feather

basically same as above the bigger the number the better the quality but overall these series are less
durable being duck feathers than as 10 to 50 series.

on the top cap of each tube there is also a small number for the speed of the shuttlecocks - 1 (slowest) 2 (medium) and 3 (fast)

quotidian
06-16-2010, 06:01 AM
What's the difference between 1) AS-05 , 2) AS-5 and 3) AC-05 shuttles in terms of quality? It's something that's been bugging me, since i can't find clear answers on this forum.

My AS-05 duck feather shuttles are made in China, and have extremely good price-to-performance ratio.

FlyingTiger31
06-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Hi

I have another question: If I buy 50 tubes of AS30/40 here they cost around £11 per tube so say $16.50. Could I buy them more cheaply in China/Japan/Singapore etc and import them?!
Help!

FT

NoRice4U
06-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Hi

I have another question: If I buy 50 tubes of AS30/40 here they cost around £11 per tube so say $16.50. Could I buy them more cheaply in China/Japan/Singapore etc and import them?!
Help!

FT

depending on your local store or local private retailer ( coaches etc) it would be cheaper to buy it locally than oversea and import it. Japan has high-living standard fee so dont even mention about getting anything from their imo unless your willing to spend a few penny.

China is not a bad idea but becareful they could be fake because, if you buy just small amount of shuttlecocks they give you good quality and if its in large quantity it could be poor quality. I have a friend that imported 100 shuttlecocks the first few samples were great but the rest are poor quality. BUT if you trust someone from China and its cheap then go ahead but make sure you include shipping fee.

justbecos
06-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi

Help!

FT
If you can get AS30 in the UK for £11 per tube for 50 tubes that's pretty good could I ask where your buying?

pBmMalaysia
06-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi

Help!

FT

if 11 pound its cheap for as 40

FlyingTiger31
06-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi

My mistake - I've just checked and think we're paying around £16! Know anywhere cheaper?

pBmMalaysia
06-16-2010, 01:31 PM
again if 16 pound its equivalent to the wholesale cost here in malaysia/singapore for as 40. if any cheaper they are not genuine anymore...

FlyingTiger31
06-16-2010, 01:34 PM
OK - that price is per tube for 50 tubes

pBmMalaysia
06-16-2010, 01:35 PM
probably your place you play speed 3?

FlyingTiger31
06-16-2010, 01:46 PM
I haven't a clue! I'm going to look tonight as I've never noticed before!

NoRice4U
06-17-2010, 07:56 AM
You kidding me 16 pound for 50 tubes? Yonex shuttlecocks cost like $30+ AUD which is very expensive even if its 50 tubes i'm guessing you would only get like 10% discount

pBmMalaysia
06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
You kidding me 16 pound for 50 tubes? Yonex shuttlecocks cost like $30+ AUD which is very expensive even if its 50 tubes i'm guessing you would only get like 10% discount

you got it wrong, you must buy 50 tubes to get 16 pound for 1 tube !

as for your price if its $27 (less 10% discount) then it is expensive!

NoRice4U
06-18-2010, 04:05 AM
you got it wrong, you must buy 50 tubes to get 16 pound for 1 tube !

as for your price if its $27 (less 10% discount) then it is expensive!
For us in Australia only Open Graded Tournament use Yonex AS 50 shuttlecocks other than that we use Sea Lion which imo is the best, the rest like Apacs Aero-Flight 700, RSL

pBmMalaysia
06-18-2010, 04:21 AM
For us in Australia only Open Graded Tournament use Yonex AS 50 shuttlecocks other than that we use Sea Lion which imo is the best, the rest like Apacs Aero-Flight 700, RSL

i think everywhere almost the same - yonex as 40 price has risen too much, now only limited players using...

one interesting point about as 40 - if you weigh every one of them don't be surprise to find their weights are precisely all the same!

kingskawn
06-19-2010, 07:20 AM
I found someone through alibaba that claims to sell Yonex AS-50 for $9.18 per dozen.
The company is called "Minwei Sport Company" and this is the direct link http://www.topseller.com.cn/product/314968403-210015130/badminton_shuttlecock_AS50.html

He also sells racket like; li ning, Yonex and Wilson but I can't see if it's genuine. Not enough pictures.

He says that it's genuine but I don't know. What to think? :rolleyes:

pBmMalaysia
06-19-2010, 08:45 AM
i can bet all my properties they are not genuine!

they may look like as 50 but they are not as 50

you should ask them to contact yonex, japan for orders!

NoRice4U
06-19-2010, 08:54 AM
I found someone through alibaba that claims to sell Yonex AS-50 for $9.18 per dozen.
The company is called "Minwei Sport Company" and this is the direct link http://www.topseller.com.cn/product/314968403-210015130/badminton_shuttlecock_AS50.html

He also sells racket like; li ning, Yonex and Wilson but I can't see if it's genuine. Not enough pictures.

He says that it's genuine but I don't know. What to think? :rolleyes:

Don't buy it, not that i am racist or anything you cannot trust Chinese people when you are trying to make business with them unless you trust them and they are a close friend. I know that because one of the host i play with bought 50 dozen but the sample were perfectly fine.

Because if you did the logic thinking 1 sample may cost you lots the 50 dozen of shuttle the profit they gain is probably more than 20% if they replace with fake ones

pBmMalaysia
06-19-2010, 09:24 AM
some clues for identifying fake yonex products:

NoRice4U
06-19-2010, 09:26 AM
thanks for spotting it out pBmMalaysia normally if you were to purchase any equipment or anything from the internet you should get it from a trusted site with good ratings and positive comments. Great work spotting it out with just merely photos.

pBmMalaysia
06-19-2010, 09:49 AM
just say i have a long history of retailing and wholesaling popular badminton brands and stringing experiences and i don't like these fake product supplier.

even trusted site may give you problem so if prices are not much different try support local dealers, just my advise.

kingskawn
06-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks pBmMalaysia for your explaination :)

But honestly when you have an online price of $10 for AS-50 and at your local (trusted) retailer, you can understand that I go for the cheapest one.
Now if the $10 one is counterfeit I cannot only blame myself. Ok I would always go for my local retailer but they are very expensive.

I looked on http://www.yonex.com/badminton/counterfeit_products/index.html for how to spot fake rackets so I can see which are genuine and which not. For shuttlecocks there's is nothing yet.

I'll looked for other good shuttlecocks then instead of the $26 Yonex AS-50. Am looking for something around $10-$12

ctjcad
06-19-2010, 04:34 PM
..they are not genuine Yonex AS shuttles...but as long as one doesn't pay reg. genuine Yonex AS shuttles prices for them, i guess that's fine with me..just consider them a different brand or lower quality shuttlecocks..

pBmMalaysia
06-20-2010, 01:12 PM
not paying the original price for fake yonex shuttlecock is fine with you?

wobbling and inconsistent speed fine?

i can understand your standard of play unless you are talking about playing outdoor!

pBmMalaysia
06-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks pBmMalaysia for your explaination :)

But honestly when you have an online price of $10 for AS-50 and at your local (trusted) retailer, you can understand that I go for the cheapest one.
Now if the $10 one is counterfeit I cannot only blame myself. Ok I would always go for my local retailer but they are very expensive.

I looked on http://www.yonex.com/badminton/counterfeit_products/index.html for how to spot fake rackets so I can see which are genuine and which not. For shuttlecocks there's is nothing yet.

I'll looked for other good shuttlecocks then instead of the $26 Yonex AS-50. Am looking for something around $10-$12

sometimes its more economical to use shuttles say medium grade. you can change more!

but not yonex medium grade like as20 or as30, they are still too expensive and do not last!

choose the commonly used brand in your area - just see the used shuttle lying on the court can tell you roughly the popular brands.

silentheart
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM

i can understand your standard of play unless you are talking about playing outdoor!
Hi,
Please do not put word in other member's mouth. Interpretation of meaning is fine. Accusing and personal attack is a little over the top. I respect you have retail experience on major brand badminton equipment. But calling other using substandard shuttles is OK while the other is not, that is a little step out of line. We respect other opinion. If you have question or confusion, ask nicely and you should have a nice answer. I hope I am not offending you in anyway, I would like to see more civilized posts. Also picture in your post is some help.

FYI, Yonex did not bother to post how to spot fake shuttles because for the experienced user, they are very easy to spot. Also, it is not economical for YY to track them down because after the first tube, the player will use better quality shuttles from other brand.

silentheart
06-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Sorry. I did start a thread on fake YY shuttles. I think that is a better place to discuss the fake shuttles issue while this is for meaning of @$$ model number.

NoRice4U
06-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Normally no one play's with Yonex AS shuttlecocks becoz of its price, for general like training or anything. But in competition they would use depending on what the comp is and who is the host. Because the host (usually a club) can get shuttlecocks from the distributor instead of retailer.

pBmMalaysia
06-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi,
Please do not put word in other member's mouth. Interpretation of meaning is fine. Accusing and personal attack is a little over the top. I respect you have retail experience on major brand badminton equipment. But calling other using substandard shuttles is OK while the other is not, that is a little step out of line. We respect other opinion. If you have question or confusion, ask nicely and you should have a nice answer. I hope I am not offending you in anyway, I would like to see more civilized posts. Also picture in your post is some help.

FYI, Yonex did not bother to post how to spot fake shuttles because for the experienced user, they are very easy to spot. Also, it is not economical for YY to track them down because after the first tube, the player will use better quality shuttles from other brand.

really? my english meaning that bad? :o:o

maybe i missed out and should have include the next line... ;)

"i think the person must be skillful to play wobbling and inconsistent speed" :cool:

thanks for your comment but next time don't jump too fast, for me it ok :cool:

for others they may not like it ;)

NoRice4U
06-23-2010, 02:49 AM
"i think the person must be skillful to play wobbling and inconsistent speed"
You didn't really specify anyone so i don't see how its offensive in anyway just could be irritating to the person but not me personally.

pBmMalaysia
06-23-2010, 03:02 AM
You didn't really specify anyone so i don't see how its offensive in anyway just could be irritating to the person but not me personally.

yes but others think otherwise..

anyway a quick clarification would solve everything..

btw, i am trying to read through all the shuttle post on this topic "playing fake yonex @ $10/tube is the same as low grade shuttle @ $10/tube''

give me sometime

bill681231
08-31-2010, 02:53 PM
I will buy Yonex Birdies directly from Yonex China official dealer, AS-03 and AS-02 at $10 and $9 per dozen. But the shipping is expensive, $3 per tube if I buy 50 tubes at a time. The final price will be $13 for AS-03, $12 for AS-02. I think this is a good deal and worth the effort.
If you know someone who’s importing goods from China, and is willing to help in the shipping part, that will bring down the cost by a dollar or two.

If you see anything cheaper than this, it is 100% fake. I see some label price for AS-10 at $5.5, and the seller tell me that they are "high quality fake". I am curious enough to try it out, not bad for a $6 minus shuttle!

If anyone want to buy from the same source that I buy from, and you konw someone in Guangzhou China, I can send you the Yonex store address. But I really can't garantee you will get the same price like I do. Cause my friends in GZ they play with some retired pro, they are friends with the store owner.