Karakal mtec 85 or Head Metallix 8000 tour

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by gb3886, Feb 28, 2009.

1. gb3886

gb3886 Regular Member

So i've been looking round for a new racquet and have found a couple I like the look of, and from what I can gather the specs are good. However, i've only been playing a few months and to be honest, I don't fully understand the whole racquet thing very well.

I play a general all round game, smashing, dropping, driving etc. all in a single game. I have no one set way I like to play so I'm really stuck as to what I need.

Anyway, I am looking at getting either the Karakal M Tec 85 or the Head Metallix 8000 Tour. Which of those is the better one?

2. Effusion

Effusion Regular Member

Im about to go and order a M tec 85 lol. Maybe i should see what else people have to say about it.

3. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

I bought the 85 off a fellow member and I tested it and also didn't like it so sold it. To me it felt blah not doing anything poorly just didn't excel at anything. Think there are quite a few more interesting rackets out there for the price.

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Where are you planning on buying from, and how much for?

The "Tour" version of the 8000 has a nicer paint-job, but apart from that, I have no idea what makes it better than the standard version, so you might be better off with that if it's cheaper.
    Sweatband.com seem to be selling the 8000, 8000 Tour, and 8000 Tour (Euro Grip) - all at different prices, which is kind of strange.

Judging by the prices I've seen online, the MTec85 is about £15 cheaper, so you could actually get the MTec80 for the same money as the Head. From what I've read it's a lot more popular than the MTec85 with most people, and it's also more similar to the Head in terms of weight (apparently Karakal rackets are, as a rule of thumb, about 5g heavier than their listed weights).

They're both very middle-of-the-road kind of rackets, that should suit all different kinds of player, so I doubt you'd have a problem with either of them, or outgrow them for a while.

I'd say the MTec85 if you're on a tight budget; otherwise the MTec80 or Metallix 8000 (whichever you think looks better or have a better gut feel about).

5. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

i had both mtec85 and mtec80 tattoo previously, and sold off the mtec85. its too heavy and stiff for my weak arm to use, now keeping the mtec80 tattoo only.

6. gb3886

gb3886 Regular Member

I'd be buying from Millet Sports using my coaches discount from Hockey to get stuff cheaper.

The Karakal M Tec 85 is £33.99
    The Head Metallix 8000 is £38.24

The M Tec 80 you suggest is £40.79

Then 3.95 delivery on top.

7. gak_12

gak_12 Regular Member

UPz for MEtallix 8000!

8. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I bought a Mtec85 before and was using it pretty often. I feel that it is a very good singles racquet, great for smashing and somehow it doesn't tire you out as much even though the weight is 85gm. One of my friends tried it and love it and I sold it to her.

I tried the Metallix 8000 before but just for a few strokes, I feel that it is an all round racquet. In Singapore, the price parity between the Mtec85 and Metallix 800 is big and because the Metallix 8000 isn't offering a great lot more, I will go for the Mtec85. At least for the Mtec85, I know I have a weapon that is great for aggressive play especially since I have other racquets which are all rounder.

9. helloyou

helloyou Regular Member

-
    how is it different is the karakal mtec85 and the SL series(sl 80 or sl 70)?

10. gb3886

gb3886 Regular Member

thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered a Head Metallix 8000 tour today. Hopefully it will be here before Friday so I can use it. I'll let you all know what I think of it, though it will be an inexperienced opinion

11. missmandy

missmandy Regular Member

pls give some review of ur new head 8000? thx

12. gb3886

gb3886 Regular Member

It will be next friday before I use it (assuming it arrives) but i'll certainly post here about it