Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lee Chong Wei has been certified to be medically unfit

Bad news just been received from The Star: http://thestar.com.my/sports

Tuesday 08-Dec-2009

Chong Wei pulls out

A day after sensationally defending his title in the 2009 Super Series Masters Finals, Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei has dropped a bombshell by pulling out from the 2009 Laos SEA Games.

The world number one men’s singles shuttler has been certified to be medically unfit for the Games following the recurrence of a knee injury.

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

nah. in that match, it really obviously shows that taufik is not in lcw's class that day. no motivation to play at all. LCW's style of playing in front of home crowd is different tbh. just ask pemuda.:cool: nothing to do with lin dan.;)

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Let's see how our malaysia badminton camp in the men's side cope IF without lee chong wei:cool:

4. stevemariyoh

stevemariyoh Regular Member

Badminton goods salesman
    Lets look thing in another view. A positive way. Malaysian team has been relying on LCW only for all this while. It is a good chance for other players to show everyone that they can also perform a good game. Of course the chance to get GOLD medal will be hard for Malaysian team without LCW but again as I said it's a chance for Kuan Beng Hong and the others to shine also. Like waht george said, lets look at the Malaysian team without LCW. :)

5. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, HH seems very determined this time without LCW, he is the big brother now.........:D:D

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    did u compare this new style with the 2007 french open victory?
    there is something to do with injury

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    why? LD is better in 2009 than in 2007.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LCW looked quite sharp and fast, stamped out taufik and PSH quite easily to take the SSMF MS title. He doesn't looked injured.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Every time LCW loses, many BCers say that he gives some excuses for not winning

Hehehe... Every time LCW loses, many BCers say that he gives some excuses for not winning.

Perhaps, this time (after winning) LCW is thinking of giving us BCers some excuses for his winning. :p:p:p

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    his is caring injury in that tournament
    and his play style is obviously different that others tournament i had follow;)

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It looks like LCW will continue to remain as World No.1 until the 2012 Olympic Games

As at the start of 2010:
    It looks like LCW will continue to remain as World No.1 until the 2012 Olympic Games.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Is that..^^

..a 100% guarantee??..:confused:

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It could be a 99% guarantee

After having a look at the results of 2010 All-England Badminton Open, may we say it could be a 99% guarantee?

14. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

At this moment in time, I'd like LCW to skip (not tank) tournaments and save it all for the biggies (with the blessing of M'sian baddy brass). Never mind being World Number 1 at this point (it certainly is a bonus), save the mileage and gun for the 'major' majors:cool:!

15. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Probably he does thought about making an excuse too for this one like, LCW: Pardon me y'all baddy fanatics for taking me so long to bag the big one, but don't you folks worry cos I'm going to buy a bigger bag and tote-in all the titles that spells 'biggies' from now on:)!

16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    LCW WR1 till 2012??...2010 sure, 2011 possible, 2012 will see CHN making a run for WR to qualify as many players for OLY12. The only player capable of challenging LCW is LD and CJ.
    CJ, I would say is slightly behind LCW but he is young, good and will play as many SS only if CHN signs him up. Therefore, CJ may have a chance to catch up.
    With 3 straight SS wins, LCW gain a huge lead in WR ranking points that the only person that can possibly close the gap and challenge him is LD but LD is no longer interested in SS, only focus in majors (and for good reason), therefore LCW WR1 may be safe till even 2011.
    I bet after this AE10, LYB would give a 'friendly lashing';) to his star players, would rejuvenate LD to train for the next meeting with LCW;)...that would be a dandy. With a top shape and fit LCW on a winning high compared to a LD with work to do to catch up to his previous form, we can say this bring both players on an even par....but this mental thingie, err...I still dunno lah but we will find out when they next meet, hopefully at the WC10 or AG10 finals.
    Abedeng reported LCW was nervous at AE10 and we all know, LD embrace the big stage and play his best at big tournaments. I really want to see who is better, LD or LCW at the final of a major like WC...until LCW beat LD in a major final, you know who I will bet on to win..;):D

#316 OneToughBirdie, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Please tell me how.

Like OTB said, 2010 is possible. What if he does a LD and plays selected tournaments only. It won't be long before he's knocked off #1.

I think you've become a little giddy with excitement. Time to lay off the homer juice.

#317 madbad, Mar 15, 2010
  18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Time will tell whether LCW will play or dare to play selectively like LD. If I guess, he won't. LCW is 27, between now and OLY12 is 2.5 yrs away. Sure, LCW will not play in every SS, no one can, even ginseng cannot help and Superman may die:D To focus only on majors and sacrifice WR points, is to put all the eggs in one basket, risky gamble financially. Pro baddy is business first and second, glorifying the nation, etc third in that pecking order. What if LCW doesn't win a major and end up not playing enough SS, his income drops. I guess with his winning form and top shape condition, he would milk all he can and play as much as his health and body can take it, weigh the SS that he has the best chance of winning, monitor his WR1 ranking (kaching $$$ in the bank;)) and focus on the majors between now and OLY12 2012. The more SS he plays, the more chances of winning $$$ towards a retirement fund. Winning majors ($$$) will top it all.
    Just me 2 cents.

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

OTB, fair comment. But we are dealing with a lot of what ifs as well. Maybe only Misbun knows LCW's schedule for the next 2+ years.

Anyway, I was responding to how chris-ccc came to his conclusion and it didn't make sense to me. My take from his reply to limsy's post was he had become overly excited with LCW's AE win, overgushed him with praise and made a homer declaration.

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I know, can't fault them for LCW first major...much like a pregnant wife gave birth to the first child after repeated trying to make one:p...uncork the champagne, delala!!:D:p There are lots of ifs but time will tell...but approaching from a financial point of view, I am just simply guessing LCW will play while the kettle is still hot, take advantage LD is not playing much, milk all possible till the cow's tits are dried:D I just imagine if I am in his shoe with 2.5 yrs left before calling it quits...the winning cheque and extra bonus from SS wins, bonus $$$ for WR1, monthly salary on high ranking, endorsement $$$ being WR1 and now AE champ, what other $$$ revenue and also, the chicks (arh, shuck forget the chicks, they are dangerous to his health anyway:D). You may do the same thing too.
    If anyone think pro baddy is not about $$$, take a look at Yeoh, Sairul, KBH, all MAS second stringers, etc. what is livelihood after baddy is over or worse, BAM cuts you lose because you overstay your welcome. It is merciless. It is all about $$$.;)
    That is why you cannot see me worship and kissing butt of ANY sucessful pro athlete, I support the players that give it all and go nowhere and facing a bleak future when old age comes calling.

#320 OneToughBirdie, Mar 15, 2010