Misbun quits as national singles coach

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Jan 1, 2011.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Perhaps, the ideal solution is to make MS the sole coach for LCW and take away all the other elite players from him. This way we can have a winning Siamese twin and any separation or addition or even questioning is forbidden.
    The trouble with this is when LCW goes or retires so will MS and so will the nation be left with elite players who were denied the services of Malaysia's best coach.

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    BAM hoping for Misbun U-turn

2011/01/04

BA of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh is likely to meet Misbun Sidek as soon as possible in an attempt to coax the latter to reconsider his decision to resign as national coach.
    BAM general manager Kenny Goh said yesterday a meeting was being arranged to end the current turmoil and put to rest numerous speculations surrounding Misbun's decision.

"We are trying to solve the matter fast. Let the president meet up with Misbun to find out why he resigned and decide on the next course of action," said Kenny.

Nadzmi returned from an overseas trip yesterday.

Read more: BAM hoping for Misbun U-turn http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/l_he31/Article#ixzz1AAiAa0YA

3. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Razali says crisis has to be resolved quickly

2011/01/04

DEPUTY Sports Minister Datuk Razali Ibrahim believes Malaysia's decline on the international badminton scene should be seen as a warning, and the current scenario is not the kind of development the sport deserves in the country.
    Razali said countries like India and Thailand have already started showing progress and it is important that Malaysia improve and the resignation of Misbun Sidek is not the crisis the local badminton scene needs.

Razali urged the BA of Malaysia (BAM) to settle the matter fast as any further delay will affect Lee Chong Wei's performance.

"This matter must be resolved quickly by BAM. It should either ensure Misbun returns as coach or have new plans as any delay will only affect Chong Wei's performance," said Razali.

"We are no longer a big name in badminton and we should take this slide as a warning but instead, other things are happening.

"This is not the time for such a crisis to hit Malaysian badminton and it has to be resolved fast.

"I don't want to go into speculations that Chong Wei will leave and I hope that this issue will not affect the morale of the national players."

Razali believes that BAM will end this saga soon and he hopes that Misbun will continue coaching Chong Wei and others by giving national interest the priority.

Read more: Razali says crisis has to be resolved quickly http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/minisuty/Article/#ixzz1AAjgcc00

4. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    BAM seeks Minister's help over Misbun issue

2011/01/05

PUTRAJAYA: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) has requested help from the Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek to resolve the controversy surrounding the resignation of national singles coach Datuk Misbun Sidek.

Ahmad Shabery who met BAM President Datuk Mohd Nadzmi Mohd Salleh at his office Wednesday said Nadzmi had requested the ministry to help resolve the issue that has plagued the local sporting arena since last Friday when Misbun emailed his resignation to BAM.
    The minister said he would meet Misbun to get his side of the story but did not reveal the place and time for the meeting.

"Maybe tomorrow or the day after I will issue an official statement with regard to the matter because I have to consider the feedback from both sides before making a decision," he told reporters after the meeting with Mohd Nadzmi here.

Ahmad Shabery however, denied that he would act as a mediator between BAM and Misbun since both do not see eye-to-eye.
    "I do not know that (Mohd Nazdmi and Misbun do not see eye-to-eye) but as the minister and representative of the government, I am responsible to resolve the situation because the government is the 'provider of funds' for the development of badminton in the country. This involves taxpayer's money," he said.

The minister also rejected any possibility that a new training and development system for badminton would be introduced.

Misbun, a former national champion, who was coaching Datuk Lee Chong Wei did not give a reason for his decision to quit, leading to various speculation among the badminton fraternity in the country.
    Under Misbun's guidance Chong Wei, the world number one, had won a number of titles, including the 2010 All England men's singles title. - BERNAMA

Read more: BAM seeks Minister's help over Misbun issue http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/BAMseeksMinister_shelpoverMisbunissue/Article#ixzz1AAsn4IuW

5. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    to solve this issue sack dato N and promote MS...
    happy ending to bam

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good to let MS be the boss so that he can best use his experience for the best of the nation. No one can disrupt his progress as he is the most capable person now. ;) No harm. ;)

7. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Sports Minister steps in to resolve Misbun-BAM dispute

By RAJES PAUL

PUTRAJAYA: Misbun Sidek does not want to have a discussion with Badminton Asso*ciation of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh even though many calls have been made over the last two days to find out why he resigned as a national coach.
    And the situation has led Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek to step in to find an answer and solution to cool the heat on the matter.
    There are fears that Misbun’s resignation would trigger a walkout by world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei and several other players from the national team.
    Misbun submitted his letter of resignation on Dec 31 via e-mail to the BAM without citing any reasons for his decision.
    But there were speculations that he was unhappy that his request to coach his son, Misbun Ramdan, was shot down and that he was also slighted by the continuous pressure from the management on his coaching programme and reports.
    Shabery met both parties yesterday but refused to disclose what transpired during the closed door sessions.
    He also spent some time during lunch with Nadzmi, who later chose not to speak to the media. The others present were BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai, general manager Kenny Goh, high performance manager Datuk James Selvaraj and National Sports Council (NSC) director general Datuk Zolkples Embong and director of sports management Abdul Jalil Abdullah.
    In the evening over dinner, Shabery met Misbun and again the media were shut out.
    Shabery said that it was only fair to make a conclusion after listening to both sides.
    “The BAM have surrendered this matter to me. It is my responsibility to hear their stories. I will do my best to help solve the matter,” he said.
    “I have taken an interest because this is a popular sport and they are in our Road to London programme. This sport has a big following and we have invested a lot in it.
    “I do not like division and ongoing problems like this to affect the athletes’ preparation. The decision made will be in the best interest of the nation.”
    Shabery suspected that miscommunication could have led an unhappy Misbun to quit.
    “Nadzmi did not want to make any statement today because he feared that it could be misconstrued,” he said.
    “It is only fair for us to listen to both sides before making any statement. We will surely try our best to resolve the matter as quickly as possible.”

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/1/6/sports/7742880&sec=sports

Datuk N perhaps was given advice not to talk without thinking like his first and second statements yesterday...;)

8. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Let our players turn pro, says Shabery

PUTRAJAYA: Lee Chong Wei may become the country’s first professional badminton player with the blessings from the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) if the association are ready to give up on their old system of doing things.
    Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Ahmad Shabery Cheek said yesterday that the BAM should look into the concept of professionalism.
    “There are other successful models out there. Tennis player Roger Federer is a professional. He is not linked to any association. But he represents his country in the Olympic Games,” he said.
    “In fact, Indonesia’s Taufik (Hidayat) is one player who does not train with the national badminton team. But he dons national colours in all major Games when the country needs him.
    “It has worked for some. We should allow players to turn professional if they are ready to abide by the rules of the association when it comes to representing the country in major events.
    “I think this was not tried before because unlike tennis, the prize money was not that good in badminton. Without sponsors and money, it will be difficult for a shuttler to pay for his travel and accommodation.
    “Times have changed and it can be a win-win situation for all. This is something that the BAM can look into.
    “The players will be able to make more money while the BAM can still get their services to win honours in major events.” I think BAM also wants money, thus the hesitation...
    Shabery was responding to questions on how he would react if Chong Wei leaves the national team to train with Misbun Sidek. The decision by Misbun to quit as national team coach may lead several players to follow suit.
    “Chong Wei is still the best player in the country. He should continue in his bid to win honours for the country whether he is in or out of the BAM,” said Shabery after a closed door meeting with BAM president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh yesterday.
    If he leaves, I think the association should not make it difficult for him to compete in tournaments.” *nod*nod*
    Last year, the BAM imposed a two-year suspension on back-up shuttler Tan Chun Seang after he quit the national team. He was allowed to play for a club but the BAM decided not to endorse his participation in international tournaments.
    The ruling affected his income and Chun Seang changed his mind and returned to the BAM fold.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/1/6/sports/7743305&sec=sports

9. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Courtesy from NST

Shabery as mediator

2011 / 01 /05
    By K . M . Boopathy

AFTER failed attempts to have a discussion with Misbun Sidek, BA of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh requested Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek to be a mediator between the association and the coach .

Ahmad Shabery who had a meeting with Nadzmi yesterday , later met Misbun over dinner.

Misbun has stunned the BAM by quitting as national coach in a huff.

He said the outcome of the discussion will be revealed in a couple of days.

Ahmad Shabery said Nadzmi declined to be present at the press conference after yesterday ' s first meeting as the latter felt his comments may complicate the issue as various matters are being speculated by the media and the badminton fraternity.
    " I discussed a few issues , mainly on the resignation of Misbun , with Nadzmi and a few other BAM officials who were present.

" I will get Misbun 's side of the story at a dinner with him . I will be able to make a statement in a day or two , " said Ahmad Shabery at his office in Putrajaya yesterday.

" I don' t want to reveal the details of my discussion with Nadzmi as I don 't want to make matters worse but the BAM president has asked me to get some feedback from Misbun.

" Nadzmi said he was unable to set up a meeting with Misbun and felt that it would be better for me to get in touch with him due to his reluctance. "

Nadzmi avoided making any statements for now , claiming he has been misquoted by one of the local dailies and he doesn 't want to further complicate matters .

" There could be some miscommunication between BAM and Misbun and if I can help solve it , I will. There is big funding involved from the government for badminton and we must also know what is happening .

" My personal view is that I don' t want friction ( between Misbun and BAM ) as it doesn ' t benefit anyone. "

Nadzmi ' s failure to discuss the issue with Misbun means there is a strong possibility that the latter will not change his mind on qutting as the national singles coach .

This is likely to cause more headache for BAM as Misbun' s protege , Lee Chong Wei , may leave the national set - up to join his coach if the current situation does not improve .

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

…i see, no wonder misbun didn't state reasons in letter:D

#229 pBmMalaysia, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  10. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    A good reading

Misbun’s difficulties is yet ending

Credit to the writer.

To read in BM: ( http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2011&dt=0106&pub=Utusan_Malaysia&sec=Sukan&pg=su_05.htm)

In our joy of celebrating New Year, and the win by our national football team in the Suzuki AFF Cup, we are stunned by DMS resignation as the coach of BAM.
    Misbun surely has a strong reason which led him to leave his job. Without a strong reason I believe he will not take such determined action. He has sacrificed so much for the nation’s badminton, like what he did while his wife was sick and needed a special operation in China.
    Even though his salary was once cut after the Athens Olympic in 2004, he still accepted it and didn’t resign. He was said to not train enough players, but still he didn’t resign.
    I know of two incidents before this which directly involving him: 1) the immigration didn’t allow him to accompany the badminton team for an oversea trip until I had to call the Head Director of Immigration on that night for clarification. Someone had intentionally informed the immigration that led to Misbun being detained from leaving the country for some time; 2)When he was honored Datuk by state of Malacca, there were people who were trying to stop it by spreading words, regardless of it being true or not. That was some of the difficulties faced by Misbun in his life thus far.
    During the 2004 Athen Olympic, when the country’s contingent was in pressure for not winning any medal hoped for in badminton, he told me that a champion who will rise in years to come and bring glory to the country is LCW.
    Misbun was made BAM’s coach after all foreign coaches failed to give great impact even though they were highly paid. Apart from that, I, as someone representing MSN agreed in bringing Misbun as BAM’s member in our effort to solve the problem between BAM and Nusa Mahsuri. He agreed with the offer and MSN pays his salary directly, NOT BAM. At one time, LCW was taken away from Misbun’s care but after he came back, LCW shines until now under the guide of Misbun.
    Actually, Misbun and Chong Wei need BAM and BAM also needs both of them. Misbun and Chong Wei saved BAM’s pride and all parties responsible in sport by winning medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympic, the only medal we won in that event.
    If BAM said it has spent a lot of money on Misbun and LCW, then it’s only appropriate because they both have repaid BAM through the winnings in OG, AG, CG and other tournaments. They’re the savior to BAM’s pride.
    What has happened with the large amount of money spent by BAM to other coaches and players who until now not producing any desirable result?
    Tan Sri Elyas Omar as once the President of BAM, brought all the best players to KL by establishing the National Training Center fully equipped with local and foreign coaches, especially from China. At that time, the strategy used was so effective that we finally won the Thomas Cup in 1992.
    We need to re-analyze the model introduced by Elyas which had been long practiced. I suggest that a few training centre is created and coaches as well as the players are divided according to these centers and situated in states like Kedah, Pulau Pinang, Perak and Melaka. Placing all the best players and coaches in one place has its own risk. If miscalculated, all that talents will be wasted and they will fail to be successful players. MSN has helped 3 states by developing badminton courts in Kedah, Perak and Melaka. Please use these facilities as a training center to produce more caliber players for the future and not using it as a place for the VIP’s wives badminton’s playing ground only. – To be continued tomorrow.

11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

there is no hidden message, it is how executives or officials think.

Badminton players and coaches are people on the ground and see things in a more technical sense.

Increasingly there is a need to understand each other.

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

In addition there are also the accountant types who are always thinking how best to use limited money.

Activities must justify the investments made because it may be depriving others.

From all the minister's statements, it seems to me that there is always a need by people on the ground

to adjust to changing circumstances, unless there are limitless funds small adjustments need to be made,

and allocations also adjusted to cover more people.

Hope you get the message, its trying to say things nicely without touching on sensitivities. Sometimes administrators have to be allowed to do their job too.

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Sports Minister steps in to resolve Misbun-BAM dispute

PUTRAJAYA: Misbun Sidek does not want to have a discussion with Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh even though many calls have been made over the last two days to find out why he resigned as a national coach.
    And the situation has led Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek to step in to find an answer and solution to cool the heat on the matter.

Let our players turn pro, says Shabery

........“Chong Wei is still the best player in the country. He should continue in his bid to win honours for the country whether he is in or out of the BAM,” said Shabery after a closed door meeting with BAM president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh yesterday.
    If he leaves, I think the association should not make it difficult for him to compete in tournaments.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its not easy to be in YB Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery shoes now. As he is the highest authoritive decision maker as far as sports are concern in Malaysia, what decisions that he's going to do in regards with the current scenario now is not an easy task. However, it's easy to identify when wise leader starts to comments and gives opinions about what is better for the Malaysia Badminton future rather than those who are in BAM.

However, as human like Datuk Misbun, when you are injured superficially, its easy to heal, but if its eroded deeply and peoples surround you seems to be critically uncaring rather than otherwise, its going to be invasive and an injured bleeding heart is not easy to heal. Datuk Misbun REFUSAL NOT to have a eye to eye discussion with the BAM President is enough to define the gravity of his dissapointment and personally, the person that architect his sad resignation to BAM likely to be him, if you ask my opinion.

Regardless whatever decisions that our YB Sports Minister able to come with in resolving this issue, as BAM top management peoples like Datuk N##### and the gang, they must realize and know that its not going to be easy to work with individual that is unwilling to work with you if his heart doesn't go with him anymore. So if i were BAM, i will prepare to accept the worst case scenario now that is Datuk Misbun will not join BAM back, Datuk LCW will follow him and opt. to be a pro and importantly follows YB Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery advices as what he stated above for the betterment of Malaysia Badminton.

Since Badminton in Malaysia is one of the top sports ( other than football ) that the public follows so much and a lot of money poured into its development be it district, states or national level, i think with the current scenario, and since developments into it uses the taxpayers money, i reckon BAM need to be evaluated by the Sports Ministry in some ways so that the public would know what's going on. If we looked into the history of Malaysia badminton, such scenario is not the first time happens that at the end involves politician as the problem solver and having again such repeated issue will just show BAM to the other countries its a problemetic government body that gives us bad reputation.

14. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Hahahaha....... you just crack me up. First of all, I just cannot comprehend how earning a silver in the Olympic games and Asian games not consider a success. It's already more than a thousand times better achievement than what YOU could ever achieve in your lifetime, but I don't see you calling yourself a big time bolehland FAILURE.

And here you are calling a spade a spade. So which clown ass school did you graduate from. What a joker.

Second, you mention yourself that Lindan is the "greatest of them all", so losing to the "greatest of them all" is consider a failure. Sorry man, but no SPADE here. Just a HEART for ass kissing. Lets just remember that many of the former great player who won major titles didn't have to deal the "GREATEST OF THEM ALL".

Lastly, you are right. We all just couldn't see your *cough cough* fanboyism and prejudice. Now if you just excuse me, I'm going to throw up.

15. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Pssstttt.......just between you are me, I think the moderator is kinda anti MAS. Usually when I start to spew out crap about jia you fanatic, the post instantly get deleted.

16. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

If Sports Minister can't solve this saga, may be he should escalate to his boss PM Najib... boleh?

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    If the Govt is serious, they should get a performance audit done on BAM by a professional auditing company. Define the scope of audit, identify points of failure, redundancy, incompetence etc based on criteria such as (but not limited to) process, selection, implementation, results. Then..... BAM!! :D

I have a feeling Bbn will like this idea... :D

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

"Misbun was made BAM’s coach after all foreign coaches failed to give great impact even though they were highly paid."

What an ignorant statement, probably by a typical politician type.

In the past decade or so foreign coaches have produced a team of players such as Wong Choon Han, Yong Hock Kin,Ong Ewe Hock,Lee Chong Wei (who was brought into the national team by Frost),and second tier ones like Yeoh Kay Bin, Lee Tsuen Seng, Ismail Saman and Sariul. these together with the Hashim brothers nearly won the Thomas Cup several times,and between them won many tournaments. Definitely of greater quantity and depth.
    Now it is saying that 1 LCW remaining at the top alone is a much better result!

19. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    haha, ok also between you and me,

i think that p guy is left here in bc to test how long he can survive by flaming …

after all most of the infamous flamers … in bc are gone:D

that's a possibility but we do not know the power of shabery and what he thinks.

of course he wants to resolve the issue but the question now is,

given the wound is not a fresh one, how far can bam compromise?

i see it as very10x hard and

its not small issues like his son's case or those as reported or speculated.

anyway, it will be out soon after all it has been blown to pieces already :D

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think it is well on the way, there is something here called "Key Performance Indicators" or KPI for people on government payroll.