What speed for north england at this time of year?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by bbirdman, Jan 19, 2011.

1. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

What speed shuttlecock should be used for north west england during the winter months? I play at different sports halls so I am looking for an average.
    Basically are different speeds used for different seasons.
    Having Paul Stewarts advanced badminton coach website (who is from my area) he reckons people are using wrong speeds but he doesn't mention what speeds

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    What is the temperature in the hall and what is its altitude? These two determine the correct shuttle speed, especially the altitude.

3. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

approximately
    altitude - 100 metres
    temp - between 10 and 17 celsius (very rough, take a thermometer next time, will get some weird looks!)
    outside temp at moment is just above freezing

4. Alom

Alom Regular Member

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    At an altitude between 0 to 300 meters and a hall temperature of between 8 degrees C to 17 degrees C, the correct speed is 78. At the same altitude and at 8 degrees C or slightly below, then go for speed 79.

6. Bcalchess

Bcalchess Regular Member

We play in the west of Ireland in similar conditions to what you mention and use speed 3 or 77's all year round. However I reckon that this speed is more suited to our summer temperatures than winter. Ideally we should be playing 78's in winter and 77's in summer but this is not always practical as very few players or shops for that matter in our area carry 78's :confused:

7. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    If you hit the shuttle from your baseline with an underarm action as fast as you can and it falls within 20cm of the inside tramline at the other side of the court then that shuttle is the correct speed.
    I know it's not useful for when you are buying shuttles, but if you do buy 78s test them like this and see if they are suitable.

Temperature, altitude and humidity are all factors in shuttle choice. But just bang it across the court and see.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I play in St Helens, and on the (lamentably rare) occasions we get to use feathers, 78s seem to be the ones we arrive at every time.

Ideally you'd be able to a brand new one in each speed (78, 79 and 80) and test them, because there seems to have been a trend of late with some brands that shuttles are playing slower than their reported weight. As Andy says, smack them underarm as hard and as straight as you can from directly above the baseline - if they land between the opposite singles and doubles service lines then they're of the correct speed.

9. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    Yes, the best way is testing, just bang it across the court and see it by you self.