Korean badminton player dies in car accident

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by suetyan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I know this happened many years ago, but just now when I was googling something, I found out this news from a forum.

Badminton Player Dies in Singapore

SEOUL (Yonhap) _ South Korean badminton player Kim Mi-sun died in Singapore on Tuesday after being hit by a car, the Korea Badminton Association said.

The 15-year-old was hit by a car driven by a South Korean while at a crosswalk. Her head was severely injured and she died shortly after arriving at hospital, according to the association.

Kim and 19 others belonging to the South Korean youth national team were participating in an international badminton competition in Singapore.

Kim was picked as a national player last year and was to play in both singles and doubles matches.

From: http://politics.sgforums.com/forums/1977/topics/168874

Who is she? Can anyone provide more details about her? The news was posted in 2005 and she was 15. She is so young!! Maybe she was borne in 1990?? Does anyone know more details of the incident? Any photo of her?? I am very sorry to hear that, even though that was a old case. :(

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2005 Cheers Youth International Badminton Championships (Singapore)

Her name was Kim Mi Sun, aged 16. She went to Singapore with the Korean team to participate in the 2005 Cheers Youth International Badminton Championships. Kim was picked as a national player in 2004 (together with Sung Ji Hyun).

The team arrived in Singapore on Monday (12-Dec). The next day, Kim was due to play in the Girls' Singles under 17 against Singapore, and the Girls' Doubles under 17 against Sri Lanka. But the accident happened just outside the Singapore Badminton Hall (at Guillemard Road) where they were to play.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...B481CB-4A67-4286-B3C2-3D4A199B67BA&player=475

It was sad when it was heard of her death. And the Korean team withdrew from the tournament to mourn.

#2 chris-ccc, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Wow, the whole team withdrew from the tournament? Sad to hear that, she was so young. I hope she is not the only child in her family. :crying: Do you have any picture of her?

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes it was a very sad case. I was at that tournament and heard the commotion outside the hall not knowing that a tragedy had happened.

Guillemard Rd on which The Singapore Badminton Hall was located around Geylang, is a busy road and road users must be very careful when using it. I believe the report was that the young Korean girl player was crossing the road with her friends but she hesitated midway while her teammates continued to walk to the other side.

Coincidentally, the driver of the car that killed the Korean player was a Korean woman. It was a traumatic experience for all her young teammates so much so that they decided to withdraw from the tournament.

Nowadays, badminton tournaments are not held at the SBH anymore as the venue has been converted into a food village after the lease expired and the new owners took over. I have not visited this place since then. For international youth competitions, they are now held in the many sports halls in Singapore like the Toa Payoh Sports Hall and others. For international tournaments like the Singapore Open it continues to be held in the Singapore Indoor Stadium at Kallang.

The SBA is now housed and the national squad is being trained at the Singapore Sports School in the Woodlands area. SB Hall is now history. When the new indoor stadium of a much smaller size than the SIS that will be built at the new Kallang Sports Hub, it may well be the new headquarters for the SBA. Time will tell.

5. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Oh, thanks for the more detailed story, uncle Loh. :) If the tragedy didn't happen, I think she is one of the Korean promising star, like SJH, BYJ.
    But, coincidentally the driver was also a Korean.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It is so true that life is precious and one must make the most use of it whenever possible and enjoy whatever you are doing. It is better if you do more of the positive things that can help not only yourself but also others with whom you may come into contact.

Like this young Korean player, tragedy can strike without warning.

The latest we've witnessed is Christchurch, NZ, where many died and much property completely destroyed as a result of the earthquake. Christchurch will have to be rebuilt and it takes many years to do this. Meanwhile those who are adversely affected will suffer in silence for a long time because of the trauma. And many who have visited NZ will be aggrieved too as the country is so beautiful, peaceful, picturesque and the climate pleasurable. So much so that a famous film (Lord of the Rings?) was done there.

I also remember at home in Singapore not too long ago, a highly intelligent, promising young lady (lawyer?) was sent to Mumbai to attend a conference and she was murdered in her hotel as a result of the Mumbai terrorist attack. It was so sad.

So life can be rather short and those who took their own lives must have made a terrible error of judgement.

#6 Loh, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  7. event

event Regular Member

I posted a link to this right after it happened in '05, but here, in a morbidly related thread. Kim was a team-mate of Bae Youn Joo, Yoo Hyun Young, and Jung Kyung Eun at Sungji Girls' Middle School in Masan. Her selection was for the national junior team, but still this is not so common for middle school players. She had been fairly consistently in the top 3 or 4 for her age group in Korea.

There is a thread open that talks of the lawsuit surrounding the incident. I found more recent reports here and here.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It is very sad to hear people arguing: Who is right or wrong (in this case)

It is very sad to hear people arguing who is right or wrong when this type of accident happens. :crying::crying::crying:

To me, the driver should be considered as wrong. Why? The driver should not insist on paying attention to the traffic lights (Green or Red), but to pay attention to people who are crossing the street.

#8 chris-ccc, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  9. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

thank for sharing the followed up case, event. :)

10. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Yes, I agree with you. I think the driver is wrong too. Based on the law of tort I learnt in my university, the three elements of negligence are existence of a duty of care, breach of the duty of care and resulting damages to the victim. Not every careless act done by a person results in his being held responsible in law. He will only be liable in negligence if he is under a legal duty of care. But, how do we know whether we owe a duty of care? It's very easy, one must take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions of any acts which he can reasonable foresee would be likely to injure his neighbour. This means that the existence of a duty of care will be established if a reasonable man placed in the defendant's position would have reasonably foreseen that his carelesness would have caused the plaintiff's loss or damage.

Like in this case, since you are a driver on the road, you owe a duty of care to the pedestrian on the road. Even though some pedestrians don't walk on the pedestrian path, but drivers on the road still owe a duty of care to them. This is what I learnt from the University. LOL... :D

11. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Agree with your comments that the driver owe a duty of care to the pedestrians but according to the article link provided by event, witnesses saw the young lady dashed across the road and it was too late for the driver to react.

On the judge's comment that "the three girls were paying no heed to vehicles coming from the left", I believe its left hand drive in Korea? I had a similar experience in Taipei and was not used to the traffic coming from the opposite way and was nearly knocked down when I jay-walked...

http://epitommy.wordpress.com/category/musings/

....One of them, Mr Chan Yoke Heng, a passenger in a car going in the same direction as Madam Shi’s, said his friend who was at the wheel sounded the horn at the girls, who were not looking at oncoming traffic.
    In his judgment on Friday, Justice Kan found that the lights at the pedestrian crossing were red, and that evidence before him showed that the three girls were paying no heed to vehicles coming from the left. Startled by the horn from the car Mr Chan was in, Mi Seon ran forward into the path of Madam Shi’s car.
    Her friends hung back.
    The court heard during the trial that she had the earpiece of her MP3 player in one ear.
    Justice Kan said Madam Shi’s negligence, from her own testimony, lay in her seeing the girls trying to cross the road; she should have realised the possible danger and slowed down, but did not do so.
    But he said Mi Seon shouldered more blame for the accident because she not only ignored the red light, but also ran into the path of Madam Shi’s car.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

^^^

Sad tragedy.
    When will young people realize that they should not listen to music or talk on the cell while they're walking around town or crossing the road.