Players violating tournament code of conduct at BWF events

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by chris-ccc, Mar 22, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Greetings,

Lately, there have been news about players violating tournament code of conduct at BWF events. I have read and filed away some. Fines can vary from hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Let's comment on the news under their different titles.

The first one is about our 2011 Australian Open GP Gold tournament.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Four Pak badminton players fined by world federation

For the 2011 Australian Open GP Gold tournament;

Four Pak badminton players fined by world federation
    Mar 21, 2011, 11.31pm IST

KARACHI: The World Badminton Federation has fined four Pakistani shuttlers for violating tournament code of conduct for the international circuit events.

The world body fined Ahsan Qamar, Wajid Ali, Raja Azhar and Tahir Ishaq for not participating in the Australian Open despite their entries being confirmed.

"Each player has been fined $250 and the federation has also been cautioned by the world body," a federation official said.

The official said that the world body objected to the four players getting visas for Australia on basis of the tournament and then not going to take part in it.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...d-by-world-federation/articleshow/7757124.cms

#2 chris-ccc, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Dane Baun slams Chinese players for unfair acts

For the 2011 All England SS Premier tournament;

Dane Baun slams Chinese players for unfair acts
    Monday March 14, 2011

BIRMINGHAM: Tine Baun, the Dane who has twice denied Chinese players the All-England Open title, has called for action against the no-shows of three Chinese players this year.

Baun has called it “unfair” that Wang Yihan, the former All-England champion she faced in the last two finals, has not turned up this week at National Indoor Arena here.

Although Baun was unable to defend the title because of a heel injury, she obeyed new Premier Series rules, which say she must still appear at the venue. Yihan, who withdrew with an ankle injury, did not, and Baun voiced her annoyance.

“I showed up and then I hear that Yihan doesn’t show up - how come?” Baun says on a Badzine website video.

“How come I have to show up?

“I think that the rule is okay if it’s going all the way, but everyone has to come.

“You can’t just have your doctor write that it’s not possible that you can fly.

“But every doctor can do that and of course doctors in China can do that as well. So I think it’s a little unfair.

“I think it is unfair that I have to be here and Pi Hongyan has to be here. But Yihan doesn’t have to be here”

This was a reference to Hongyan, the China-born former world No. 2 from France, who withdrew with a knee injury but travelled to Birmingham to make the mandatory appearance.

Baun claimed that if this happened again the rule wouldn’t matter any more, but Thomas Lund, the Badminton World Federation’s chief operating officer, was insistent that it did.

If players don’t show up, they will be fined $5,000, unless they can show they were not able to travel,” he said. “And that will be consistent.

“We will have doctors at our end to assist with the rules.

“It’s not something we have a lot of experience with, because this is a new rule.

But Saina Nehwal (the Commonwealth champion from India) was fined $4,000 in the Finals in Taipei for not showing up, so it is something we do.

“I don’t know the circumstances of this specific case, but yes, if not otherwise proven, she (Yihan) will be fined.”

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/3/14/sports/8262382&sec=sports

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Why do they have to show up. It seems a little silly Wang Yihan travelling to the other side of the world to do nothing (also waste of money).

Pi Hongyan can get Train straight to birmingham from Paris!

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It seems a little silly WYH travelling to the other side of the world to do nothing

This is the thing that I have been thinking:- BWF needs to trust their member National Associations when reporting about their players' condition/injury.

I find that BWF has suddenly become treating all players as independent players (like in World Tennis).

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think a warning system should be put in place. If you miss three tournaments you have entered for and don't attend, then a punishment should be made.

Having said that did WYH, TB, PHY inform the BWF prior they would not be attending. It is perfectly acceptable in my mind that someones entry goes in (for example) 4-5 weeks before the tournament then 2 weeks prior they injure themselves & withdraw. It isn't acceptable however if they enter & the organisers know nothing about the non attendance until the first days play.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

4 Commitment and Entry Offences

From the BWF Hand Book (Part III, Section 1B, Appendix 4, Updated: 03 December, 2010), I can see 4 Commitment and Entry Offences;

3. PLAYER’S COMMITMENT AND ENTRY OFFENCES

3.1 Late withdrawal
    Withdrawing from either the qualifying or main draw after publication of the draw without evidence or proof of “bona fide” injury, illness, bereavement or other emergency situation.

3.2 Playing another tournament
    Having entered and been accepted into either the qualifying or main draw of a BWF-sanctioned tournament and playing in another Badminton tournament during the period of that tournament.

3.3 Playing after declaring non-availability due to injury
    Withdrawing from a future tournament due to injury or illness and playing in any Badminton tournament during the period between the date of notification of injury/illness and the said tournament from which the player has withdrawn.

3.4 Early departure from tournament
    Making travel arrangements which would preclude the player from participation in scheduled matches or interfere with their commitment to attend dope-tests.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Saina requests BWF to conduct video conference

For the 2011 Chinese Taipei Super Series Finals tournament;

Saina requests BWF to conduct video conference
    Dec 27, 2010

NEW DELHI: Ace India shuttler Saina Nehwal has requested the Badminton World Federation to conduct a video conference after the BWF insisted her to meet the media even if she misses the Super Series Finals in Chinese Taipei due to injury.

The BWF has accepted Saina's plea for injury as the reason for skipping the season-ending championship, which is an exclusive event for the top-eight players in Super Series rankings but still asked her to meet the media in person before the start of the tournament.

The world number four Indian had pulled out of the $500,000 Super Series Finals to be played between January 5 and 9 because of a ligament injury in her left leg.

On Friday, Saina, who is placed seventh in the Super Series standings, sent all the relevant documents, including the medical certificates in order to avoid the new fine of $5,000 for not participating in the event.

"The international body accepted the letter and the documents but asked Saina to travel to Chinese Taipei for two days on January 3," Saina's father Harvir Singh said.

"She has not recovered from her injury and won't be able to travel so we have requested the BWF to arrange a video conference instead. We are waiting for a response for them now," he added.

In case, BWF declines the request, Saina will have to pay the fine of $5,000 for failing to show up at the tournament.

"It all depends on the BWF now. They have asked her to be present their to perhaps address the media regarding her injury. If she doesn't go and if BWF declines her request then, she will have to pay the $5000 fine," Punnaiah Choudary, a senior official of Badminton Association of India, said.

"Nothing is in our hand. We will go by the BWF norms," he added.

The BWF had amended its regulation last month and imposed a penalty of $5000 instead of the previous meagre $250 fine for pulling out of the Super Series Finals.

The decision was taken in the wake of the rampant pullouts by top shuttlers citing mild injuries.

Saina had injured her leg during the final of the Hong Kong Super Series and skipped the Indian Open Grand Prix in Hyderabad this month at the last minute fearing it might aggravate her injury.

Source: http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...137_1_bwf-saina-nehwal-indian-open-grand-prix

#8 chris-ccc, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I would say:

3.1 Not so serious

3.2 Very serious - however in case of lower ranked players if they lose in QF of a SS event then play into the main draw of a lower grade tournament whilst that SS event is going on it is a difficult one. Lower ranked players have little money so if a long journey is made just to lose in QF they would want to bring play another tournament within a reaonable distance away

3.3 Depending on the time length of notice given. If notice is given 6 weeks prior but the injury makes a recovery, the player may be unable to enter one tournament again, but may be accepted as late entry into another one. This could be the case with 3 back to back Europe events GER/ENG/CH opens

3.4 Again difficult for lower ranked players. I assume that a player from a small team (for example Spain) the team wouldn't book accomadation & flights on the Monday following a week long Super series, as it would be expected they would lose on the Tues/Wed of the tournament. Would the BWF fine them for leaving Birmingham (in the case of the AE) on Friday?

For all the above there are circumstances that could be genuine & reasonable for withdrawal. I think the BWF needs to be reasonable with punishments it hands out. The Saina Nehwal example appear a little officious, however BWF may say it is their leading tournament & media should be given the chance to hear the reasons. In badminton (unlike football/tennis/golf) Journalists wouldn't travel to India to hear Sainas' story, wheras they are in TPE.

Good discretion needs to shown.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The draw

Talking about 3.1 Late withdrawal
    Withdrawing from either the qualifying or main draw after publication of the draw without evidence or proof of “bona fide” injury, illness, bereavement or other emergency situation.

I still think that currently the draws are being made too early before the matches commence.

IMHO, a draw should be performed only after all teams have arrived at the tournament venue (which is 1 or 2 days before the matches start).