Can tennis elbow be cured?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by txv611, May 3, 2011.

1. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Please share with us yr experience.

How long it took for u to heal?

What treatment was administered?

Has it heal completely?

2. jilin74

jilin74 Regular Member

I once had tennis elbow from playing single-handed backhand in tennis. I stopped playing tennis and did some stretches. Now I don't feel any pain at all.

I also had some tennis elbow problem when I just started playing badminton. My overhead forehand move was not correct. The pain went away after the forehand overhead move has been corrected.

#2 jilin74, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  3. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

I changed my backhand stroke incorrectly and ended up fully extending when hitting. Got tennis elbow after a couple of weeks of this. Took about 6 months to fully heal after correcting my mistake and hitting light backhands during that time. Also did "tennis elbow" stretches. You can find those stretches online everywhere. Tried compression straps, didn't like them and ditched them. Sometimes, if I remember, I would rub on some pain relief cream on the joint. It didn't really help. I know some players who have had it forever and can't get rid of it, I count myself lucky. Good luck.

4. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Thats exactly what I did too! Fully locked out on my backhand due to poor timing and techniques.

5. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

Depends on severity, it will take at least 2 months to recover, or up to a year. It's best to stop playing until fully healed. You might also see a physio for guidance.

6. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

noooo dont say that, not playing badminton for year is not good for my mental health! seriously though a sensible answer. I think though most players will play through a certain amount of pain. to sum up:

ice after any excersise that involves the forearm/elbow

ibuprofen when needed

stretches involving flexing and holding wrist before, after excersise and daily
    light weight curls (when pain is light), using knee lap to support forearm

massage

wrest (the hardest one for me), if playing never play more than 2 days in a row until healed

elbow brace that fits at top of forearm this helps reduce load on tendon at elbow. wear this when doing any activity using arm, for me i wear throughout most of day

if you haven't already going doctors getting diagnosis you might something other than tennis elbow

loosening your grip. a major cause of tennis elbow in badminton players. My tennis elbow blessing in disguise as I now hit faster because of looser grip.

avoid too competitive games so you dont have to swing racket vigorously, use games as practice.

get another hobby to fill in time that doesn't involve elbow, maybe one that keeps you fit

7. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

U are fortunate to have the problem go away. Some people told me u will never recover from tennis elbow! I refused to believe so yet I do hear reports of it being permanent.

8. alexh

alexh Regular Member

It's tricky with tennis elbow. Tendon injuries are much slower to heal than muscle injuries. The way my physio explained it, I had the choice of taking three months off and letting it heal properly, or keeping playing and putting up with the injury for possibly a year or more. It was tough not playing for three months, but in the long run I'm glad I took his advice. I seem to be fully recovered now (since two years ago).

Of course the severity of the injury will vary from one person to another; what worked for me might not work for you, or might not be necessary. So do consult a medical professional.

Birdman's other advice is good.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    My physio cured my tennis elbow using Intra Muscular Stimulation. It's a very painful process by which a small gauge needle is stabbed into the wounded muscle mass to induce increased blood flow in order to speed up healing. I went for 4~5 sessions and that took care of it. In addition to IMS, I was prescribed a series of strengthening exercises (using small dumbbell and thera-band) to do. This combination kept the tennis elbow away for a good year and a half and counting. Look up IMS and check which physiotherapist in your area practice it.

10. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

This sounds like treatment by traditional Chinese practitioners. They believe tennis elbow is a blockage in the vein that retard healing. They will press on the vein to free the passageway or use acupuncture to free the blockage.

11. jilin74

jilin74 Regular Member

I know.

But my experience is as long as you remove the root cause for the painful elbow (such as correct the move, etc), and you have not injuried yourself too badly, you should be able to recover.

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

http://www.intramuscularstimulation.com/2.htm

that's just one of many links that explains IMS. All I know is that it works. It's a cure for overworked tendons, joints and muscles. However, tendenitis will always come back with improper technique and lack of crosstraining/ maintenance. Like Jilin74 said, it's gone for good once you remove the cause of it.

#12 cappy75, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  13. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

hi cappy75,

do you recall how much you paid for IMS? Do you get much scar from the procedure?

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

My physio sessions are CAN$70 per session but they're fully covered by my company health insurance. There's no scar since they're just injection. The process is very painful and might take more sessions depending on the severity of the tendenitis. My physiotherapist did not just on the site of the pain, but also from my back to my wrist. Due to poor form, I have had problems with my lower back, rotator cuffs, elbow and wrist. First session incapacitated my playing arm to the point where it just hang there so I would advise having the session right after work. I could not use my arm for one full day.

IMS do share some roots with accupuncture but it's totally different in that it uses only one small gauge needle whereas accupuncture uses several needles on the meridian points. Accupuncture is pretty much pain management that take several sessions to heal the problem area, but IMS is far from being pain management. It brings on the pain. If there's nothing wrong with the muscle mass or tendon, you'll feel only a prick. But if it's unhealthy, the muscle will spasm while the needle is in it. So if you pursue further, be prepare :p!

15. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

i feel like im getting tennis elbow because im not hitting backhand clears correctly... probably extending too much.
    theres slight pain in my elbow so im gonna avoid hitting backhands for a little bit... hopefully it goes away.
    backhand clears are so hard though!
    and this thread has some useful info... tyty

16. visor

visor Regular Member

^^
    Technically, that's not tennis elbow.
    That's a pain in the joint due to overextending and locking out the joint.
    Avoid that at all cost. Use better and faster footwork to get your body to the bird sooner and you'll fix the problem.

17. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

ah.. i guess i confused the two lol
    but ya, im gonna try to avoid it til i learn the right technique to do it. :)
    btw, is it also bad to overextend and locking out the joint when backhand dropping? its just bad overall right?

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep. Just like you should never lock out your knees when you land, same goes for elbow.