Xu Chen ( 徐晨 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by staiger, Jun 5, 2011.

1. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    After watching him in MD and XD many times , I am very impress how he now become more mature on the court, his shot selection has improve and he can mix up his game to good effect. Him and Ma Jin has good on-court understanding .

Just wondering if he might be a better partner for Cai Yun in MD ? Fu is brilliant but Xu has something more than just smash .....maybe after London 2012 ??

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Many have always seen him as the weak link in all his partnerships as he makes many, many unforced errors. He also gets bossed around by Ma Jin :p
    But I think he improved towards the end of the last year to this year, earned himself a place on the first choice for XD in the Sudirman Cup and won all their matches :eek:

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    even cai yun is great,i think fu need another partner,not cai yun
    this pair cant seem able to sustain a high intensity rubber match
    they already lost 5th time in a row to lee/jung(who lost to tan/hoon) in sc
    cant see cai able to play after og 2012

4. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Xu Chen had teamed with Cai Yun, won many national titles in China. They have been invincible for many years until broke up last year. Don't know the reason.

China had split Cai Yun/Fu HF, and regroup CY with XC, and FHF with SY. Ironically, even CY/XC did much better than FHF/SY, but CY/XC had split while FHF/SY still playing. Now FHF/SY is the best men's double in China now after CY/XC split.

XC/MJ is unexpected. After Zheng Bo kicked out, and He HB/YU Yang choke constantly, CHina coach regroup the XD, they put HHB/MJ together, and XC played with YY. The main reason was YY complained HHB.

But both HHB and YY complained their new partners again. So LYB had to put HHB/YY back again. Both XC and MJ were dumped by their partners, therefore, they had to play together as no other choice. Ironically, HHB/YY still keep choking, while XC/MJ has won a lot, including the most prestige All England as the scratch pair.

5. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

HHB complained about MJ? Isn't MJ one of the best net players around and many have said that HHB is dead weight?

For XC, he wasn't very successful with GZD, many claiming him as the weak link. I just wonder what happened in the past year that changed him into becoming a better player.

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Reality check! XC has won many national championship, All national games titles (most prestige in China held every 4 years) 2 times! While GZD has just got the semi final 1 time as the best results.

GZD has paired with XZB, Hong Wei, XC, CB,..., but very few titles. While XC is younger, with more titles already.

HHB has never been good in mens double. When XC paired with CY, they were invincible in China. When HHB paired with CY, they lost to everyone.

7. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I really like Xu Chen. I think he's a really great player in his own right, and congrats to him for getting to world #1. I think he's a much better player than he gets credit for. He has a powerful smash, and has a great work rate from the back of the court.

Ma Jin always gets all the credit, and people always make XC out to be the weak link. I kinda feel bad for him, he always gets criticized on court by Ma Jin when he makes a mistake. I feel like there's always lots of pressure on his shoulders, each mistake he makes gets called out.

I hope he keeps winning tournaments and gets recognized for his ability as well. And I hope Ma Jin appreciates her partner.

8. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

MJ is the one who creates nice shots for XC to finish it and sometimes, XC hits it right at his opponent instead of killing it and thats why you see MJ always telling him something. Doubles is about making your partner look good. You create nice shots for your partner to finish the rally and vice versa. And most of the time, XC hits shots that makes MJ clueless on what to do next, therefore losing the point.
    But XC did alot of unbelievably incredible saves, his commitment in court is one of the best... He is willing to throw himself around the court a few times in just one rally. and yes, I agree, MJ should appreciates her partner and give him more credits than he deserves. Just dont blame MJ for bossing him around, it may not be what it looked like..

9. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

wishing him and Ma Jin more titles to come! ;)

10. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

Xu Chen's confidence seems to be growing. He seems to really improved since the Olympics.

He has a powerful smash and drive from both the forehand and backhand, as long as the shuttle is above the net he is a killer.

11. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

and i kinda like how he cover more court for Ma Jin's convenience. :D

12. sophia_z11

sophia_z11 Regular Member

I think he win the national games mostly because he comes from Jiangsu province. Cai Yun, Zhang Jun, and Chen Jin also come from Jiangsu too, so he can pair with the most successful man's double players in China. FHF also lost to CY a few times in the national games because he can not have a parner as good as CY.

I can not recall that HHB pair with CY and lost to everyone in China super league, too. Maybe they lost to FHF/SY, not another pair as they are not in the same level.

Neverthless, I am impressed by XC's performance in Denmark and French Open. Though he is not a smart player, he really tried his best on every game.

13. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

congratulations for another SS titles Xu Chen. :)

3rd consecutive titles, 4th titles out of 4 last SS followed, and 5th titles of the year. next is Hongkong SS. Fighting! :D :) :D

14. echo17

echo17 Regular Member

I was really surprise to see how xu chen played recently. he has definitely outshine ma jin in many ways and this is very rare in china XD because women was alwayse better than the men in their XD.. Very impressive!

#14 echo17, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  15. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

too bad, he and MJ looks have no idea to break duoZ solidity. they must thinking and quickly find out a way to defeat duoZ if they have dream to be WC next year. :)

16. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Although I had hopes of XC/MJ defeating their Chinese compatriots, XC ultimately ran out of gas and was way too exhausts in the 3rd game. Either he was ill or his fitness needs a LOT of work. It's great he can consistently hit in the 270-280 kph smash range while peaking at 290 but he doesn't place them well enough. He relies too much on power and that also tires him out faster as well. He needs to smash in places to get MJ involved because the final in the Korea open show cases when he gets tired and desperate, he sometime leaves MJ no space to get involved in the rally after he smashes. It's great they can defeat every other opponent in the world, but they are truly the #2 Chinese XD pair with their awful H2H record against ZN/ZYL

17. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

amazing how things change in 6 weeks.

18. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

19. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

There is Li Gen name on the cover? What did he say in the article?

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Li Gen : I am more of an outgoing,active person (an extrovert).