Yonex Nanogy 98 New String (NBG98)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ants, Jan 29, 2007.

1. GUENNIIIII

GUENNIIIII Regular Member

Industrial Manager
    where can i get the different colours of the nanogy 98 in europe

2. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

Bought mine in Hong Kong. You can try:

http://www.mybadmintonstore.com

They deliver international and prices are very good compared to the stores in Europe. Also very good reputation.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    AK of SynergyBadminton showed me his 4U US coded VT80 strung with NBG98 @ 35lbs. it was crazy tight and the pitch was insane!

i went home and strung my MX80 at 29.5lbs and i will try it out tomorrow....

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It's a good job he's a stringer... I'd get about four hits from a 0.66 on an NSP @35.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i strung up my MX80 with nbg98 at 29.5 lbs.

the repulsion and the sound is incredible with this combo. best sounding and one of the most solid string that i have tried.

unfortunately, the light shots are subpar. there is very little feel on touch shots and the feeling is very dull/dead at this tension.

used it for a couple of weeks and the good part is that the tension and repulsion seems to be holding up for the medium term.

too bad the string gotten too dead. otherwise it would've been a great string. well i guess it is a good thing as it is pretty expensive string.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

NBG95 had the same problem but much worse, which is the main reason I dropped the Nanogies altogether (the other being the greasiness).

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You wrote earlier that 98 was better than 95 in net shots.

What do you use now?

8. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    NBG98 SP vs JP

I have tried quite a few products different code versions and for the most time I have not found any difference at all. Till recently I believed it was all a big hoax. And I still do for the most part. But I have found that NBG98 has different characteristics and quality.

Long time ago someone told me that BG80 in different colours had different surfaces and that actually turned out to be correct. The yellow version is more rugged than the white.

Now, when NBG98 first came out on the market I ordered a bunch from Japan and I loved it. I got it in red and gold and never really discovered any differences. Then I found it for half the price, but SP coded, and of course bought a bunch. All in gold. First thing you notice is that the colour gold isn’t really the same. The SP gold is more yellowish beige than gold. The JP could go for gold. The surface is also a bit different. The SP version is more slippery.

None of that bother me that much. But quality does. And there are clearly a difference in characteristics. I strung two Arc 10 at 28 lbs with NBG98. One SP and one JP. The JP version is crisp as a celery and the SP feels like shepherds pie. The JP is lively and has a clear high pitch sound. The SP is dead and has a more muffled sound. This is clearly not the same string. The SP version also looses tension faster.

I have also got the SP version to develop quite a lot of vibration. To the point that you can actually hear a high pitch rattle. This has happened on two different rackets. This is a completely new thing for me. No other string has done that.

I find that the JP version is a very good product and I really recommend it. The SP version is nothing like it and actually not worth the money. Not even at half the price. I never thought I would say that.

Yea, and you probably wonder where I got the strings. The JP was bought from Shuttlehouse and Mybadmintonstore, while the SP was bought from Stringersworld and Mybadmintonstore. All reliable retailers.

Of course I now wonder if anyone else has made the same observations. I also need to retest some of the strings that I really don’t like. BG65ti and BG68ti I have only tried in SP version and I truly didn’t like them. I have also tried BG75ti JP witch was very good.

Funnily my favourite string of all time is BG66, and that only comes in SP nowadays. So SP can not be bad by default.

9. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    bro,
    you ve not tasted bg66sharp, so its not rated all time yet!

10. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    bro,
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean but I have tested BG66 Sharp. It is better than BG66 in some aspects but it is also almost twice the price. As I see it it is not twice as good. It does not last twice as long either. If the price was the same I'd rank BG66 as the better choice.

11. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    Bro,When we compare we compare one to one purely on performance but nothing else.We not talking on value buy right?Furthermore price wise bg66 not even in same league here...cheers...

12. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

OK. So it's not just me! The yellow and red ones were SP coded. The gold one I had was JP coded. First I thought it was a color problem, but now you confirm my suspicions.

13. Avenger242

Avenger242 Regular Member

Engineer
    I have strung Nanogy 98 @ 26lbs on Voltric 80. (CH Coded) (cost RM35)
    Previously I am using BG80 @ 24lbs on Voltric 80. (SP Coded) (cost RM30)

The power that I get from the string is Amazing ! Smashing definitely IMPROVED!
    Though my net play has worsen... the shuttle seems to bounce higher which allowing my opponent to net kill. I guess this is something I need to get used to.

#253 Avenger242, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You didn't notice any difference between the Stringersworld and MBS non-JP ones? I imagine the SW one didn't come in SP packaging (i.e. marked "SP")

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hm... sounds like another head-to-head is in order!

16. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    Ah, you are quite right! The SW version doesn't say SP on the package. It has the same plastic bag package as the MBS version but it doesn't say SP. I assumed they were the same. Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.

I don't know if they are different. I kind of put all the JP in one pile and the rest in another. Now I don't know witch I used.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Just had three racquets strung with NG98 SP version.

28lbs on cab20

haven't played much with it though. Is it me but the strings feel very slippery when I touch them.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cheung moving away from bg65! :eek:

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Just finished using NG 95 - good string but getting a good spinning shuttle is harder. Let's see what NG98 but I'm not sure it's going to be any better. :)

20. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

cheung - you can always give the vs850 a try as well if you decide you don't like the NBG.

Since re-stringing in HK isn't too expensive as long as you not a chronic string breaker. nbg 95 and vs850 are like $90 and ngb 98 are $110.

I've tried bg80, nbg95, vs850, rsl tn680 so far and I am going to give nbg 98 a go next. Then I will decide what to use for the "longer" term. But my rackets are usually only strung at around 23-24lbs though. SO I guess the feel of the strings will probably be so different to your 28lbs.

#260 ssgg007, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011