Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. chip167

chip167 Regular Member

Student
    Amleto... Who are you?? :confused:

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Based on the racket, I'd say the one in the red-black shirt - looks like a TPro to me :)

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Tom...

Correct. Keen eye!

And the video: A bit better by me, by still lots of things I can see by myself. Will be interesting to hear what others say :)
    [video=youtube;FGew75Xg7mA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGew75Xg7mA[/video]

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Based on what I saw so far, you're a bit lethargic on court - you don't adjust your position very much to where the shuttle is or where you expect it to go. Your defense position is too close to the net - the opponents dont really smash hard, but they surprise you and score some points anyway.
    I cant say for sure, but I think you're not hitting the shuttle cleanly when you smash, it looks like you're slicing it slightly. That robs you of a lot of power. I think you need to pronate more and adjust the swing motion a bit (the racket head should go straight through the shuttle, yours goes a little to the right from your perspective).
    Oh, and a more pronounced split-step might help you be a little faster :)

Hope that helps :)

5. chip167

chip167 Regular Member

Student
    Hi Tom... Didn't realise I'd accidentally posted a video of someone else who's on here! Sorry, the video I posted wasn't our finest hour :p

Hope your badminton is going well.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Thanks, there's all sorts of things wrong with my smash - had some coaching last week and they said I was pronating too much (and not following through in correct direction)! They also picked up on my base being too far forward.

No worries! Don't play too much whilst at uni - there's plenty of other things to be doing ;) ;)

7. Lukas11365

Lukas11365 Regular Member

Hi all!
    As suggested I went to the practice hall to record another video. I dont know wether it is "tougher" or not. As you can see there are some quite good rallies in it but some easy mistakes from both players, too. I also tried to deliver a better quality this time. Im the guy in red this time.

[video=youtube;asyOAxI7YvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asyOAxI7YvI[/video]

[video=youtube;b99SXilmuIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b99SXilmuIE[/video]

When I see the video I have some points to work on:
    Im not happy with my movement into the backhand corner when the shuttle comes to the rear court. Seems to be a bit slow and often produces opportunities for my opponent. Maybe I should try to anticipate better to take the shuttles with the forehand?
    Another thing is my return of serve: I dont want to play it short all the time because my opponents will know where it is going very soon but Im feeling that Im getting in a defensive position all the time when I try to play it long to the backline.

A more general question I have got is about my netplay: When I watch the video I see that my racket is very low sometimes which makes it difficult to take the shuttles early at the net. I know that I have to change this but beside this do you think I should move my base position towards the net to produce more killing opportunities or would that be to risky?

I have got also some tactical questions. Do you guys think I should try to be more aggressive taking every opportunity to smash or would it be better to go for the long rallies and wait for the counter attacks? Im not sure which actually is the style of playing I should try to develope based on my amout of talent (or whatever).

If you see any other things I did not mention feel free to criticize. I hope you can help me with the issues mentioned above or find other things for me to work on.

P.S. Hope you are happy with my serves now;)

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Agree, you lift far to easily, especially off the serve. If you play a basic push off serve its neutral, if you lift you give a better player attack. I feel you movement/base is ok, but your racket position/prep going into the forecourt is low as you say. You must stop going for the lines early in the rally, you should eliminate hitting out of court when not under pressure before anything else.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

hi lukas.
    I found your frequent bouncing between shots quite strange. It wont give any benefit except for sapping energy.

I noticed that when you receive drops you don't make much effort to take it early. You mostly take just one step and then take it at knee/thigh high even when you have lots of time to take it earlier.

10. Lukas11365

Thanks for your comments :)

As you said I have to improve my netplay over the next time. Think my lack of sharpness in the forecourt really is a weakness of mine. I have seen the video some times now and as you noticed Im really taking the shuttles very late when receiving drops. Have to work on that, but I feel it can be really hard sometimes to anticipate these dropshots. When the opponent plays the clear on that occasions you are really fooled.
    @amleto: I dont understand why my "bouncing" looks strange to you. Of course it looks funny sometimes when you watch the video just concentrating on this, but I feel it helps me alot to keep body tension between my shots and making my movement into the corners faster. When you watch the pro players it seems they are "dancing" round the court. I tried to copy that and so far it feels good for me. Do you think I should stop that? (Wont be easy bcs Im doing that almost automatically right now;))

If anyone has noticed other things dont hesitate to critique please. Helps alot to hear what others are thinking.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's not that you split-step, what looks a bit unusual is that you bounce continually between shots instead of just once like the Pros do. At least the first few bounces are unnecessary and sap energy. Another thing - your legs seem a little stiff, you don't bend your knees when you move (except for the lunge of course) and as a result, your whole movement around the court looks very stiff.
    By bending your knees, you would lower your center of gravity and could become a little faster and more explosive (using the bigger muscle groups in your legs more effectively - it looks like you get most of your power out of your calf muscles rather than the whole leg).

12. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    The only thing I noticed that haven't been mentioned already is lack of dropshots from the backcourt. You seem to almost always clear or smash. There might be reasons for this that I don't know about of course, but spicing your game up with a dropshot every once in a while wouldn't hurt imho. :)

13. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    I only noticed 1 drop shot and it left his opponent standing in disbelief, LOL.
    Opponents base when he was receiving serve was very far forward, ever tried flick serving him? I'd imagine it would leave him totally stranded.

14. Lukas11365

Thanks for your comments:)

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsQV4_vB5XY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACvxqJqfVg4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WekxOn2iVXs
    First MD match of the day in our league. Bad performance and thus great frustration on my part - the pace is considerably lower than anything I play in training. I tried to force it a bit and made some errors, and my partner had a gruesome first game. On top of that, my arm hurt for the first MD and MS match and made smashes painful. Don't know what caused that, though - I've been pain-free for weeks.
    I'm a bit under-challenged in that league and wish for better competition - however, I'm kind of important for the team (because I have time for most matches and reliably score points) so I probably won't be able to move up to another one before next season. Seeing the videos, I'm really not looking forward to spending the next 5 months on this level :/
    I'll upload part of the rest of the matches soon and try to get some footage of a few training matches - those are much better.

16. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Not sure who you were, but grey shorts is a total boss!

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ahem. Sorry. I'm the tall guy with yellow shoes (and grey shorts :D If you mean my opponent, those shorts are actually blue ;))

#1197 j4ckie, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

First MS match. The pace was excruciating :D Halfway through the second game, I realized he could only play a crosscourt drop shot or a longline clear - and tried to move my base position a little forward. I might've been a little overconfident as well because he used to train at my club and never took a game off me :D
    All in all, not an enjoyable match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXAoXgZnUrc

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

jackie, you don't seem to get fully behind the shuttle. If you put just a little more effort into speed of movement backwards, it would make all your shots easier, and give you more options.

that guy (MS) has a very strange action!

#1199 amleto, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Indeed he has :D
    As I said, not very good matches. In training, I usually play with the teams 3-5 divisions higher - much better rallies and higher pace as well. I'll do my best to convince them to let me play in a higher team for the rest of the season (you can change the teams after first round). Not much hope though - my current team is in dire need of manpower as nearly all players can only participate in half the matches :/