Quality Replacement clamps

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by TingAhYee, Dec 3, 2011.

1. TingAhYee

TingAhYee Regular Member

Hi,

I have a Eagnas Combo900 machine and find the clamps crappy. Anyone knows what other good clamps can be attached onto the swivel base of this machine without any modification?

I think watdon clamps seems to fit both girth and height. Does the watdon ones have a rough surface at the teeth for supposingly better grip? From my experiences these rough surface may damage the strings. How about quality ones from Gamma? Seems like they are the best around as they grip without the rough surface, but do not know if it fits Eagnas machines.

Cheers

2. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

Eagnas Combo 900 has 2 kinds of clamp. Which one is yours ? For badminton or tennis ? coz Eagnas will sell this machine with tennis clamp by default.
    if you wanna spend a lot of money, you can check Dink's set-up since he also uses Eagnas Combo 900.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've got my eye on a clamp that I would have designed myself, but it won't be back in stock in UK until the end of January. I'll obtain and review then, unless somebody else can get hold of me some sooner... Brand is Pro's Pro (here, anyway).

Attached Files:

4. TingAhYee

TingAhYee Regular Member

I have personally seen the gamma universal clamp (MMSC-11) (http://www.gammasports.com/gamma.cfm?product=838) and revel over its slim design, smooth lockdown mechanism, in addition to its superb clamping qualities. The drawback is merely millimetres! The Eagnas badminton clamps i was using were total crap. At times the drawback is no different from flying clamps. Clamping hard works but damages the string. But i have no idea if gamma clamps works for the 12mm Eagnas ones.

@Mark
    What made you wanna buy the pro's pro clamp and what is the model? Looks like it should work for the 12mm Eagnas swivels.

#4 TingAhYee, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    You are perfectly safe by using Gamma Universal Clamp on your Combo 900. They are interchangeable. The measurement of MMSC-11 is 11.98mm x 83.3 mm long. Those teethes are coated with diamond for traction. Top quality product. Highly recommended.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The WD Universal Clamps have now started to come out the factory with a rounded cam face, which causes them to sometimes not close properly; the Eagnas/Pro's Pro ones above have roller lock, which IME gives a really nice "notchy" action (like the Yonex clamps).

7. TingAhYee

TingAhYee Regular Member

I see. I have gotten used to the Eagnas clamps and they are bang for the buck actually. They still perform admirably well with minimal drawback after spending some time to fine tune it. I am actually using the tennis clamps (PN-1012), which drawbacks very slightly more than the badminton clamps (PN-1013). However i prefer the tennis clamps as i prefer the slimmer design at the expense of the better quality badminton clamps. I did try the Gamma clamps and there is still a drawback, albeit minor, which made me realised the Eagnas PN-1013 drawback is a norm as it was pretty close to the Gamma ones.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    drawback is more of a function of the clamp and clamp-base matching than the clamp themselves. there is little flex on the clamp so the drawback cannot come from there.

while most of these clamps have 12mm fittings, there is still room for tolerance and if you get the whole clamp/base assembly from the same manufacturer the chance of drawback will be less.

furthermore, you can reduce drawback by giving (pushing) the clampbase a slight offset towards the direction of the tensioner.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I have a PN-1004 (one - wouldn't you know it?) and it's outstanding - reminds me of the Yonex clamps, the way it closes. Trouble is, now I want another one, and I can't find one!:mad:

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You forget how cheap I am, kwun:D. 70 bucks plus shipping and customs... by the end of that I could get a car!

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. understood. with that price can get a Gamma one already.