It's time for Misbun Sidek to work for Malaysian Badminton without BAM

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

Corporate sponsorships, i.e. prize money, will only be commensurate with the sports popularity. In that regard BWF are on the right track establishing the Super Series as a way to jump start the process of globalizing the sport and getting more spectators to get excited about these tournaments. Only time will tell, however. On a national level, there is only a finite amount of tax dollars BAM can spend on managing and subsidizing the sport. Even in the CBL, one does not see packed stadiums so there is a long way to go just yet. Everything goes hand in hand with how popular the sport becomes globally. We still don't see much take up of the sport in two of the world's biggest developed markets, i.e. the EU and North America. There are some exceptions, like the NBA (or NFL) which is more of a North American phenomenon and has a massive marketing brand name. Give it another five to ten years, who knows? Big sponsors such as Nike or Adidas will only invest if they see a fair chance of getting some return in the process.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Those pictures are great

Great pictures aren't there? :):):)

Hope that those children will enjoy playing 'Better Badminton' after attending the clinic.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Misbun was there to teach them the basic skills

Not sure if any of the children (in the pictures) are thinking of becoming professional players.

Misbun was there to teach them the basic skills to enjoy Badminton.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I am only emphasising on the ideal of producing potentials from youth programs.

In reality many kids from small towns and villages are so poor that they probably have to work by the time they are 18 to

take care of their parents let alone go for education or play badminton in some school without a scholarship.

Of course playing badminton is a healthy past-time,better than drugs or whatever.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The ideal of producing potentials from youth programs

Misbun will of course be hoping to come across some children with talent and willing to work hard to become the best players in the world. But so are many other coaches.

IMHO, a world champion is the one who makes himself/herself a world champion. Coaches can assist but it is the world champion who makes it there himself/herself.

Talk to Lee Chong Wei; I am sure that LCW would tell us that Misbun has helped in part of his success. Coaches before and after Misbun have helped too.

6. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

this is so true, look at NTM of Vietnam...eventhough he is not the best in the world...and without a proper coach,
    he is one of the notable name in MS, because of his love and passion for badminton...a coach does help...but players
    must be willing to work hard

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Just imagine yourself finishing O levels at 18 and joining the national squad, your friends go to College or A levels or U.

Some join a training institute to earn a certificate. 7 to 8 years later when you are ready to quit ask yourself this question,what have you achieved? Played in many tournaments, won a few, earned some prize money ,made some side income. Then you graduate and retire, what do you have, some glory, a little money,maybe a 2nd hand car and not even a certificate, what are you going to do?

Your classmates in tingk 5 may have already become successful businessmen ,others graduate with big diplomas and degrees and land good jobs.

And that is provided you survived in the squad for so many years as sparring partner etc.

Looks like if you dont keep them on the payroll for many years however mediocre they are, who would want to join the squad?

I often wonder when I bump into all these youngsters what they are going to do after badminton, whilst their colleagues in sec.school

have big qualifications and money well secured.

I think the biggest success story would be parental support or sponsorship to keep them going.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In Singapore, we have cases of top sportspeople who are so determined that they can end up with good degrees and good jobs after their athletic days.

Many of our swimmers are sent to the US to study and swim as well. The most well known was the CEO of our Sports Council, who resigned not too long ago.

Even our most famous swimming coach has a degree from the US. And one national swimmer went on to secure a Rhodes scholarship. They are Olympians!

Now our Sports School is providing training in the respective sports as well as the academic education to ensure that graduates obtain recognized qualifications which can enable them to obtain a degree or further their academic studies at the same time they want to excel in the sports field or swimming pool.

These are the special talents who can kill two birds with one stone.

9. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

At one extreme you see the successful college programs in the USA where good players (regardless the kind of sports) eventually progress to professional level competition after graduation, be it tennis, football, basketball, golf, et cetera. It all starts at the school and University level, and that is the model the BWF is trying to emphasize as part of their development target. Something like this should be institutionalized, but of course requires coach education and encouragement as well. That way players have a fallback option, i.e. an earned college degree. One issue now is that the sport of badminton does not have the same critical mass as tennis or golf, where bodies such as the ATP or PGA are set up to protect the interests of professional players.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

What about those who are not academically inclined?

What can they fall back on other than venturing into an overcrowded badminton related or car accessories business like so many before them.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hoping BWF will care more for players and coaches rather than National Associations

This is why Badminton is not catching up with Tennis, Golf, Football, Basketball, etc, etc, ......

BWF allows National Associations to run the show. National Associations think of their 'National Interest' first. So, what benefits are there for players and coaches?

BWF will need to set up to protect the interests of professional players.

I have started a thread to talk about professional players, located at (just click on it);

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/93949-Professional-Players-going-Professional

I mentioned that it's so sad that many National Associations are having so much control over their players that even the players' income/prizemoney cannot be retained by the players. :(:(:(

Let's hope that in future BWF will care more for players and coaches rather than for National Associations.

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

1 or 2 decades ago many sportsmen in msia could count on banks absorbing them whilst they were in their prime

or after their playing days. Or Private Colleges could give then scholarships if they were academically inclined,

but times are hard everywhere,costs of living high in the rat race and such partnerships with business are rare.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Such partnerships with business are rare

And when such partnerships with business are formed, BAM also come in to spoil and cause trouble.

Just minutes ago, I posted this in the Gan/Tan thread;
    The thread: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ik-Chai-and-Bin-Shen-quit-national-team-again

14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    This just came up regarding misbun sidek,

from our local newspaper International Times.

In mandarin and I couldn't locate the website,

even if I could I won't know what I am looking for :D

So I enclosed a photocopy of the news report :p
    Anybody can translate it ?

What I heard was he is with nusa

and working on the non-state players aged 9-13 yrs ...

Attached Files:

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Anybody can translate it ?

Yes, we'll appreciate if a Chinese-reading BCer can translate the news report. :):):)

16. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Will try...Not the best translator around:
    ***********************************************************************************************************
    Summary:

Misbun-the man is on a new mission to nurture future talents and he is still in frequent contact with Chong Wei

12nd-The former national coach, Datuk Misbun Sidek, states that his top priority at the moment is to promote Malaysia badminton and to develop more young talents. This is also his main mission as the chief coach of badminton coaching clinic. He admited that he is still in frequent contach with his protege, Lee Chong Wei.

Misbun made his press statement during the closing ceremony of 2011 Penang badminton coaching clinic held in Penang Youth and Sport Centre. The director of Penang Youth Sport Centre-Abdul Kalie?, Nusa Masuri(?)'s consultant, Misbun's brother-Jalani, Misbun's son-Ramdan were among the attendees of the closing ceremony.

The 2011 badminton coaching clinic, is an event hosted to train and develop the young talents in Malaysia. This is an event collaborated by both Nusa Masuri badminton club and Malaysia Youth and Sport Ministry and this event has been jointly promoted by the Sport ministries all around the 13 States and the 2 Federal Territories. The aims of this coaching clinic is to promote badminton, develop new talents and to improve the standard of badminton across all the states in Malaysia.

Only young players who are 9-12 years old, never having the experience of participating in any regional tournaments were allowed to take part in this event. Misbun said that the purpose of this clinic is to impart proper techniques, information about rackets & grips, rules and regulations of badminton to the younger players. The first phase of the coaching clinics will be taking place in 9 locations among the 13 states and the 2 Federal Territories. At the moment, the coaching team had just completed the fifth legs of their clinics and Penang is their 6th stop. The following 3 coaching clinics will be held in Perak, Pahang and Perlis respectively.

Misbun added that he has the experience of managing similar coaching clinics across the nation ten years ago to promote and develop talents for the country. Hence this is nothing new to him and he's been managing the clinics very well.

***********************************************************************************************************
    Some finer details were lost in translation-Pardon my English.

#936 lcleing, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

What Misbun is doing now is fitting to this thread's title

Thanks for the translation lcleing.

What Misbun is doing now is fitting to this thread's title. :):):)

18. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Ya, thanks to lcleing for the translation :)

Indeed misbun is doing what loh suggested :)

I suppose real baddy people do think alike somehow :)

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Is LCW asking Misbun to come back to help him to win GOLD at the 2012 OG?

Is LCW asking Misbun to come back to help him to win GOLD at the 2012 London Olympic Games?

Here is the article:
    http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=80086

Thursday, December 22, 2011

SHAH ALAM: World number one Datuk Lee Chong Wei admitted Wednesday that he still missed the guidance of his former coach Datuk Misbun Sidek, more so in the run up to the 2012 London Olympics.

"Even if I wanted, I cannot make a decision because I am under BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia). BAM has a manager, an officer who makes the decisions. I just follow," he said when met after being appointed as the brand ambassador for 'Cafe 99 Ipoh White Coffee' here Wednesday.

Misbun had tendered his resignation as national coach late last year after having served BAM for eight years and Chong Wei is now under the tutelage of coach Tey Siu Bock and assisted by Rashid Sidek and Hendrawan.

Despite numerous efforts, including Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek, Misbun refused to reconsider his quit decision.

The Penang-born said since the eight months of preparations ahead of the London Olympics was crucial and important, he would welcome any kind of support from anybody.

"But whatever it is I know that what is important is for me to be focused and prepared to face the challenges," said Chong Wei who also admitted to mounting pressure due to the high expectations from the whole nation.

He added that unlike his main rival from China, Lin Dan, who has the support of his fellow countrymen Chen Long and Chen Jin, he (Chong Wei) would have to shoulder the quest to win the country's first ever Olympic gold medal, all by himself.

"But I guess it is OK. This is my last Olympics and I am not too concerned about the pressure. I take this pressure and I hope the media and everyone else will support me," he said.

Chong Wei said one of his most disappointing moments of his illustrious career was losing the World Championships title in London last August.

"The World Championships loss was the most painful and it still hurts.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Tey Seu Bock would not hinder LCW from seeking advice from ex-coach Misbun Sidek

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 23 (Bernama) -- National coach Tey Seu Bock would not hinder national badminton champion Datuk Lee Chong Wei from seeking advice from any parties including ex-coach Datuk Misbun Sidek.

Here is the article:

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=636252