CHN/KOR/INA WD pair disqualified from the Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by FlamingJam, Aug 1, 2012.

1. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

GIVEN: The players/coaches/BWF are at fault.

QUESTION: In case YY/WYL did not throw the match and eventually met ZYL/TQ, thus avoiding the CHN-CHN finals; how would people react? I bet people would say they were stupid(honorable but stupid!) for not losing to KOR in the QF.

Sadly, it's a lose-lose situation for them...

the tourney format sucks... BIGTIME! lol...

2. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

A pyramid of faults with the BWF at the bottom, coaches in the middle and players at top.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    KOR was trying to do the same thing. That's why 2 pairs are both DQed. Their goal might not be as a sweep of gold and silver as like CHN. Their goal is to last as long as possible, and hope at least get to a medal match.

4. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Unfairness of being robbed? Go ask the non-CHN players who have been robbed many times by CHN s walkovers and fake play. Except this time the fake play was at the lowest level as to insult the intelligence of the paying fans that the usual polite Brits were riled to the exceptional stage of jeering. That is no mob. Those are intelligent fans that refuse to accept the visual badminton rubbish being forced upon them. Are the fans important? Of course. Without fans, no sport can be professional enough to last.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, then go to ask WSX, XXZ, xXF, CY, etc (as well as many other players from MAS, INA, DEN, KOR). They will tell you they got robbed by those non-CHN players to begin with, even before every single OG, since 1992.

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

In terms of entertainment, I actually skipped watching the WD China vs Korea game initially because I actually expected it to be played with low effort given their positions in the round robin. I then went back to watch it after hearing about the controversy, and I found it extremely entertaining, not so much for quality of the match but for how brazenly they were both throwing the game. Obviously, the situation is a bit different if you paid money to watch the competition, though that's always a risk when getting tickets for the last few games before the playoffs.

7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    If your were the competing athlete, would you like to find out for yourself? After all, I'd suspect the DQ'ed players didn't think the IOC/BWF would really do anything to them either... Nothing happened before.

8. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'm not sure we can call them wrong. They perhaps just did it too obvious this time. You see, given the opportunities, now you've INA, KOR joining. And JPN was named a suspect. Can you believe Thomas Lund himself, and Gail Emms don't have hidden agenda? Are you really sure? I mean, are you really sure of anything at all?

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Incidentally, why do you think you need to add this in your response? BTW, I'm a Canadian as well. ;)

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Exactly my sentiment. First there's the sport. Then there're the viewers, and those who sells tickets and makes $$$ from those viewers. The players compete to win, rather than to entertain. All the deceptions, tactics, tight spinning shots, hard smashes are there to help achieve one final goal - to win. It's only a side-effect that we also find what they do amusing, exciting and entertaining!

11. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I think, in the final analysis, after all the criticism of match format, the players did make a very serious mistake -

They made it too obvious, and too un-entertaining. If they could lose in a more entertaining way, no one would care. The fans, who're arguing/looking for entertainment would be satisfied. It'd be much more difficult for anyone to accuse them, beyond any reasonable doubts, that they threw the match.

That's it. ;)

12. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    have to agree on this, this time it was too obvious... It's like murder inside the police station and u expect police do nothing ?.

13. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Funny thing is, BOTH teams wanted to lose. If this is the case, what'd be the better than to lose in the first, or second shots?

After reading all the posts here, I watched the video. Man, it was hilarious. And incidentally, if LYB criticizes the players, I wonder what the 2 coaches told the two players during intermission? Did they advise the players to stop this silly play? I suppose not. In fact, I'm also wondering if they'd remind the players that they did it too obvious this time. Try to make it less obvious perhaps?

Also, if you were to look at the comments from the country's official newspaper as a representative of what the general public is thinking, you may be misled. The newspaper Xinhua is pro-government. They're known for being the party's spokesman.

14. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Suddenly I have this crazy idea -

I remember this IQ question I ran into when I was a kid. There's a horse race between two people. The unusual thing is that, they're trying to lose. Who ever loses actually wins the race. So for a long time, neither one moves. Finally, they figure out a way - they exchange horses. Now a real race begins.

So to avoid this kinda of throw-matches, perhaps we can add one more twist, the winner of the match gets to choose who to advance in that match, themselves or their opponents. So the players would still have the strategic goal achieved, while the audience get what they pay for. Win-win!!

15. SibugiChai

YAB
    the way they throw the match that force bwf to take this steps. I find it funny they are people who defend these players action in bc, I just wonder if those who defended these actions are true bad,inton lover or just keyboard warriors? I play badminton 5 times a week with different group of people and not even a single of my partners disagree with bwf action...

16. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Wow, I would like to see you when after pouring yourself into an endeavour (sport or otherwise) for 20 years and get kicked out for putting on a bad show, even though there was justification for your actions. And then for a by-standing azn_romeo to dust his hands off and say "too bad..."

And as for creating luck, that's a load of bs. Luck does not exist. So many people, especially on tv, say 'good luck' but that is absolutely meaningless crap. If they mean so, they should say, 'I wish you the best' or 'I wish you success', or 'I'll be cheering for you', or 'have a good time'...etc.

If those two games were insulting to the audience, then (as more astute bc-members have previously said) this disqualification is a greater insult to the audience for the elimination rounds who have paid to see those who qualified.

ps, I think you meant 'reins' not 'reigns'

17. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Totally agree!

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

this is getting on my t**s!!

everyone seem to forgot that the Japanese started it and now got away with a silver.

the only reason for their case slipped under the radar is there were 2 willing partners, JPN wanted to lose and TPE was happy to win thus got themselves into the last 8 and kept the IND out.

BWF said they had look into it and subsequently rejected IND's compliant/protest.
    so, the message is as long as you have 2 willing partners and didn't made it to look too bad it will be OK.

talking about the incompetent of the BWF!

19. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Dude, how young are you? You really can't differentiate entertainMENT from entertainING?

Entertainment defines the inherent goal or purpose of the activity, while entertaining defines the outcome. So a movie is entertainment (meaning it was made to entertain), while one could easily leave a cinema (or turn off the tv) saying, "what a bad movie, that was not entertaining at all!"

On the other hand, watching a dung beetle push his dinner up a hill can be very entertaining, while it was never its intention (were it capable) for it to be entertainment.

20. SibugiChai

YAB
    the japs wasnt that obvious, the others who VERY OBVIOUS... BWF need evidences to act...