How to see if clears are long enough?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by OhSearsTower, Oct 31, 2012.

1. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

Hello

sometimes its hard to see or feel if the own clears are long enough, close to the last line

i know that one is supposed to look at the opponent..where he stands when he makes the shot..but where exactly should he stay to tell me that my clear is long enough and when was it to short?

both feet between the service lines? one foot behind the doubles service lines? one foot maybe even outside the court?

im curious about how you do it :)

2. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

the short and useless answer is "practice". :p

Unless he's advanced or REALLY REALLY fast and can already be waiting for a deep clear and smash it back at you, chances are that clear is deep enough.

When I clear I try to get at least his racquet foot on the singles service line if not just beyond that. You pretty much know after a few attempts that if he can smash it back at you, it wasn't deep enough :D

3. visor

visor Regular Member

yeah... seeing that my opponent has to stand with both feet at the back tram lines in order to hit my clear is a good guide that my clears are deep enough

during the warm up or knock up stage with my opponents, this is what i would usually do

it achieves 2 purposes for me:
    1. knowing how much power i need to hit deep clears
    2. testing how much power my opponent has in deep clears (to see if it is a weakness i can take advantage of) ;)

4. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    My guts telling me that you also smash the opponent on the right, left, center and body side, to see if there are any weakness that you can take advantage of :D

5. visor

visor Regular Member

hehe... yeah :)... and that includes warmup drives too... ;)