Change hand when playing

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by wakin75x, Nov 13, 2012.

1. wakin75x

wakin75x Regular Member

Hi all,

May I know is there a rule say that the player he or she can't change the racket to the other hand when playing the game? And in single and double game, the player got 1 leg stand on outside the court and receive the shuttle is it a fault or out?

Thx.

2. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    Switching the racket to another hand shouldn't matter. As for stepping out of the court to hit it, that's definitely legal.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If the OP means on receiving service then both feet need to be in the proper service area.
    9.1.2 the server and the receiver shall stand within diagonally opposite service courts without touching the boundary lines of these service courts;

[BWF website]

4. wakin75x

wakin75x Regular Member

thx for the reply, now i know this rule. i got a game on last monday and one of the player he sometime will step out of the court when receiving the shuttle from the back court on receiving service and mid of the game. But he told me was not fault.

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

you have to stand inside the lines when in a "ready position" to receive the serve.

if the opponent then does a flick serve (for example) you may of course run backwards, jump and step everywhere you like!! or do a step forward when receiving the short service is of course allowed.
    (though, it's unlikely you have to leave the court, but that's another story...)

6. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    please clarify the timing. he was out bound before or after the shuttle in motion.

7. wakin75x

wakin75x Regular Member

before he hit the shuttle his leg already out bound.

8. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    you don't understand the question. was he in bound or out bound while waiting for the serve.

9. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

to make a long story short:

as soon as you hit the shuttle while serving, he may run outside the court, jump, hit the shuttle whereever he likes, even do some deceptive backflips...:cool:

e.g.: if you serve way too long, say 3m behind the court, he may still hit the shuttle 3m behind the backline and the game will continue. this is NOT a fault!

10. wakin75x

wakin75x Regular Member

He's in bound while waiting for the serve.

11. wakin75x

wakin75x Regular Member

Got it. thx fyi. that means my friend got no fault at all.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

as fidget quotes the bwf rules, you can only stand within the line boundaries when preparing to serve or receive

however, once the serve has started, then you can stand anywhere and do anything you want, including triple backflips and jumping jacks on the lines, outside the lines, ... as a matter of fact you can even run over to the other side of the court, as long as you don't impede his stroke and movement! ;)

13. wakin75x

wakin75x Regular Member

still got a thing like to know. when playing net shot, is it a fault when the racket touching the net and our foot step over the centre line?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

can't touch the net or tape... foot: ok if you're not impeding the opponent

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If the shuttle has hit the ground after playing the shot you may touch the net with your racket, or if you are receiving the shot and it hits your opponents side of the net and begins to fall to the floor you may also touch the net. Just to confuse you:D You are also allowed to cross the center line with any part of your body including your racket as long as it does not impede opponent.

16. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I'm not gonna go into the racket touching net thing. (You can search around my posts to the rules regarding that)

As for going under the net with any part of your body or racket, the rules state that it is fine if it does not impede OR DISTRACT your opponent. And honestly, you can win a point easily from that. Once you see your opponent's foot pass under the net, you can go up to the umpire and complain it is a fault since it distracted you and so you failed to return the next shot.

17. alexh

alexh Regular Member

If the opponent just played a net kill that you had no chance of returning, then a competent umpire won't take you seriously. It happens a lot in professional matches, especially men's singles, and I've never seen it called as a fault (as long as the player's body didn't actually touch any part of the net).

18. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    :D gymnast slash badminton player. I'd love to see LD or LCW do this.

19. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

In that particular case, most likely the net kill already completes before you are distracted. But let's say a player dives or does something where their foot crosses the bottom of the net, you can technically go up to the umpire and say you were looking at your opponent and were distracted in that case and you weren't paying attention to the next shot, which constitutes a fault.

20. alexh

alexh Regular Member

OK, I see your point. But I've never actually seen anyone dive under the net.