My Arcsaber i-Slash review

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Cattex, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Cattex

Cattex Regular Member

There’s been some interest in the Yonex Arcsaber i-Slash and I’ve had the racket for about a week and thought I’d give people my opinion on it.

I have extensively used the AS10 and AT700 and it is to these two rackets that I will compare the i-Slash.

The take home message about this racket should be speed, speed, speed. It’s ludicrously fast compared to the AS10 and AT700. However taming and effectively utilising that speed is very difficult. The small semi-isometric head shape is in part what enables it to be so fast but it is also the thing that makes using that speed so tough.

Anyone that’s used the z-Slash will probably adjust fairly easily but having used the z-Slash a little myself I would say that the i-Slash is noticeably faster.

The main problem with this racket is the *combination* of the following:

1). It’s headlight – more so than the AS10
    2). It’s medium flex – this is quite noticeable compared to both the AS10 and AT700
    3). It’s got a small sweet spot
    4). It’s extremely fast

It’s possible to play with the racket at a slower rate to make timing your shots easier. However if you do this you have very little power because it’s headlight. If you speed up you can raise the power level but timings are harder. I am not sure how much the medium flex helps or hinders but it seemed to contribute to the general lack of control I felt.

The AS10 is nearly as fast, has better control, easier timing and substantially more average power. Having said all this the i-Slash is stunning on defence and when you get the timing right the power is there. I just don’t see much of a reason to get this over the z-Slash which seems to better in most other respects. The i-Slash is quite good at intercepting at the net though because of it’s manoeuvrability – it’s better than the AS10 and AT700.

For me I think the i-Slash is too difficult to adjust to and the advantages of doing so don’t outweigh the disadvantages. For people who are adjusted to the z-Slash I can’t see the i-Slash offering anything of note. I suspect that other headlight rackets are about as fast as the i-Slash but easier to use. It can be very powerful, especially on drives, but this power does not come easily and think that perhaps if it was stiffer this would help. The medium flex helps a little with power on slower swings but this racket is all about swing speed and so I can’t help but feel that the medium flex unnecessarily holds it back.

But this is just my experience and maybe for people with exceptionally fast swing speed it might be a good racket but I’d suggest such people try the AS10 (or possibly ones of the Nanorays) before the i-Slash.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

AS10 is a shuttle.

What you say mostly ties in with what PaulStewart had to say. The notable difference being that he said it was much easier to use than the z-slash

#2 amleto, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Thanks for the review. Sort of confirms my expectations of this racquet in comparison to the z-slash. The Z is already (imo) quite flexible, whilst the material is stiff, the shaft is that little bit longer, allowing it to flex relatively easily. So I personally wouldn't get along with it being any more flexible, it'd be like playing with a fly-squatter.

It would seem that this is aimed at intermediate level/club players who need some easy to tap power.

4. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I think he knew that, just being facetious.

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    wow, more flexible than the z slash, that's like the arc002 then! i've been waiting for a review, thank you for your post. i have to play with the z slash again to refresh my memory in order to decide whether it's a racket worth getting.

i was told that yonex will discontinue arcsaber line after this racket, is it true? and if it is, i wonder what the arcsaber replacement will be named? exciting whenever a line discontinued tho i didn't have a chance to buy the arc10 peter edition since i'm a big fan :(

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

guilty as charged.

8. Cattex

Cattex Regular Member

ha! Yep, I worked that out!

9. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Who told you that?

10. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
    Really?i played with my coach's i slash n was able to tame it immediately and loved it.It was sad that not long after that my coach had to leave n took the racket along too

11. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
    And the smash is awesomely powerful as compared to my arcsaber 10.I think i even enjoy smashing with it more so than my vt 80 pg