A fresh replacement for my MP99

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by merciadriluca, Dec 13, 2012.

1. merciadriluca

merciadriluca Regular Member

Univ. Eng. Student
    Hello,

I'm a regular badminton player, 22 years old in 7 days. For around 5 years now, I've played with Yonex MusclePower 99, stringing from 21 to 28 lbs.

I mainly play singles, but doubles too. I really like my MP99, but I am considering a replacement, as one of the two I had broke recently. I'll however continue playing with the other one.

According to what I saw on various websites, Yonex MP99 is around/offensive, extra stiff, 3U and even balanced. I actually always thought it was head-heavy, but apparently not?

I've tried the ArcSaber 7, but it is way more flexible than MP99; I don't think I need that much flexibility. What do you think about that? I can nearly clear from one end to the other end without any difficulties. Would the Arcsaber 10 be better for me as it is stiffer? Or would you try a Voltric or a Nanospeed?

Thanks.
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. merciadriluca

Univ. Eng. Student
    Note also that I am not a heavy smasher, but I smash when possible. I like the control I've got with the MP99 for drops.

3. slice99

slice99 Regular Member

I would sugest the Victor Meteor X80 if you dont mind leaving yonex :)

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Should try ArcSaber 8DX ...

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    exactly what i was thinking when i was still reading the post, you beat me to it :)

6. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Armortecs are head heavy and Nanospeads are head light..
    Voltric is your best choice BUT VT80 is heavy and plays heavier because it is stiffer.
    VT70 would be a good alternative for you moving away from MP99.
    In my experience the closest to MP99 has been CAB30 but they dont make that anymore!

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Would agree with Demolidor on the 8DX, VT80 4U might be worth a shot as well (personally I've never found the 3U slow, but others seem to disagree)

MX80 is stiffer than the MP99, so maybe I would recommend MX70 instead from that range, SW35 is also a good shout from Victor as its similar balance/stiffness. :)

8. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    from what i remember of my old mp99, it was pretty similar to my present day arc10 premium. balanced, slightly stiff. but that's just my opinion.

9. Danze

Danze Regular Member

the MP99 is very very stiff. arcsaber 8dx even though is supposed to be stiff, is actually pretty flex. maybe the VT80 or other voltric series rackets. armortech is kind of flex too, not very similar to MP99.

10. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

armortec is stiff too..

11. vajrasattva

Hello,

if you have had noticed in buy/sell i was too looking for the mp99 as i had played with the mp99 for almost six years before switching to an at900t for a couple of years and now i'm back to the mp99.

in terms of the feel wise, so far none of the racquets that i have had tried, from voltric z-force, to arc saber z-slash, to ns9900, at900t etc etc ever came close to how the mp99 feels, and it was the feel that i was quite attached to. i managed to get another mp99 in trade recently, and just bought another brandnew one from hongkong :)

let me know if you come across something that feels right to you... so that i can make a switch too..

12. Danze

Danze Regular Member

The material for it is very soft and sort of more hollow. Unlike musclepower is solid and dense.

13. merciadriluca

Univ. Eng. Student
    Thanks for your help. From the store I am affiliated to, I can only try (and maybe buy then), among the two proposed rackets, the Yonex Voltric 80 and the Yonex Arcsaber 10. I'll try these two and will tell you what when they will come at my club.

Thanks.

14. vajrasattva

awaiting your opinion particularly on the arc10.. i just got a vt80.. it feels good but still lacks same feel as the mp99.. have gotten 2 more mp99s now and maybe getting a 4th one soon..

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Only just saw this thread so sorry if this is a bit late.

If you're looking for something similar to the MP99, look no further than the ArcSaber 8DX.

The Arc10, despite what a lot of people think is (in my opinion at least) a completely different racquet to the 8DX.

One thing you will notice when using the Arc10 having been used to the MP99 is how small and low the sweetspot is. Hit slightly above the centre of the stringbed and the racquet feels dead, vibrates a lot and will lack power massively.

The Arc10 is also not very forgiving on off-centre shots since it doesn't have that stiff frame that the MP99 has been reknowned for. The Arc10 is also a little less stiff than the MP99, which does make it easier to extract power if you can get used to the sweetspot.

The first time I used the 8DX, it just felt like an improved version of the MP99. An awesome doubles racquet but it felt more eager/repulsive than the MP99 and a touch lighter. Power-wise it is very similar, although the 8DX probably edges it for me. In terms of stiffness, I would agree that the MP99 is stiffer, although not massively so.

Another racquet I would suggest trying would be the NS9900, it has similar positive characteristics as the Arc10, although it has very few of the negatives. It feels more solid than the Arc10, more forgiving and doesn't have that tiny low sweetspot that the Arc10 has which is useless in doubles. The NS9900 is also very stiff like the MP99. Whilst the NS9900 is stated as headlight, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in balance when compared to the 8DX and Arc10. Admittedly, I haven't seen anyone use a NS9900 for singles but it is another racquet worth trying.

I don't play singles anymore, but would imagine that the 8DX would still fair pretty well given that it is so similar to the MP99. Since you still have an MP99, you could play singles with the MP99 and doubles with the 8DX! :)

Having said all that, at the end of the day you need to try the racquets yourself as you may find them different to how others perceive them. Good luck!

16. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    I have tried both the 3U and 2U version; the 2U version is completely different racquet from the 3U, 3U is fast, powerful with top notch repulsion. 2U is just a pure beast, if I did not have 4 2U Ti10 in my bag, NS9900 2U will easily be my go to racquet for singles.

Ted

17. vajrasattva

i have a 3u 9900 purple.. its not bad a racquet, but lacks a bit of the bite as compared to mp99 although in terms of agility wise it could be said to be comparable i.e. mp99 a bit more flexible, head balanced, 9900 being stiffer, head lighter..

swing timing wise, i'm spot on with the mp99's sweetspot and tend to swing too fast/early on the 9900, missing the sweetspot by a little

hmm.. maybe the 2u 9900 could be interesting...

18. merciadriluca

Univ. Eng. Student
    Well, but I can't buy the 8DX at my badminton store (for which I've got discounts), and I can only test the rackets my badminton store sells... :(

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Better be a good discount then ;)! You can get 8DX in Belgique for 123 euro incl. shipping and stringing now at badmintonpro . be
    Nobody in your club has 8DX?

20. merciadriluca

Univ. Eng. Student
    Yeah but they won't make any discount and, moreover, I won't be able to test it! Effectively,
    no. :-(