Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

jump smash at 3:00 you jumped too late - by the time you are ready to hit the shuttle it is much to close to you.

JS at 6:50 - not best shot choice to do JS here since you're jumping backwards and only jumping from one foot. You're landing at same time as striking so you jumped a bit early.

As with your normal overheads, your JS swing is very 'side-army' - it is robbing you of a lot of height/angle, and you are having to swing your body to the side to accommodate your arm. This is why you are falling sideways when you land.

#1681 amleto, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Ehh sorry guys I guess my overheads haven't improved much since my last video...I won't post another video until the issue is sorted out...

I wish I never saw that pronation video posted by Jimmy on youtube. It may be correct but it had me focus so much on rotation of the shoulder and forearm that I developed a bad 'side-army' swing...It would have been better if I saw the video "Fu-hai Feng teaches you how to smash" first

Oh well whats done is done. I've been trying to get rid of it but it's still there apparently. I'll try harder to fix my overheads. Yea my jumpsmash timing is bad but I'm working on that too...

Thanks a lot though, hopefully it won't take me another year for me to post a video that I'm happy with :)

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Just started playing singles again after my achilles injury. Apart from terrible footwork and awful overhead technique, things are looking up! :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;Tk6yPsn17v0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk6yPsn17v0[/video]

4. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

are you the person on the near side?
    I was looking at your smashes and clears
    it looks as if you use your wrist which is good but if you power in your smashes you should swing your whole arm, at the moment the angle is good! But if you want power use your arm as well and pronate your forearm while doing it

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I believe he's on the far side - usually the poster is the person walking away from the camera at the start ;)

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

^^ yep, I'm on the far side, so it's worse than you thought! ;)

#1686 amleto, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  7. XLR88

XLR88 Regular Member

Student
    Just a few clips of myself playing....I'll try to get an entire set up by tonight.
    This is from my country's(Trinidad) National tournament.
    A little about me, my name is Jason Ramjass from Trinidad and Tobago and I'm currently the reigning U19 champion locally.

[video=youtube;fl7XJOJsd20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7XJOJsd20[/video]
    [video=youtube;HODRDNXHWpQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODRDNXHWpQ[/video]
    [video=youtube;BmBcCt1P2eM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmBcCt1P2eM[/video]

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

[video=youtube;lnyjO8mOFlE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnyjO8mOFlE[/video]

My 2nd match of yesterday's MS ranking tournament. After winning my first match, I was up against the 1st seed....a couple things I'm satisfied with, a few others need much work. Leg strength and jumping ability are still high on that list, and I'm finally almost back to 100% from my annoying ankle/calf injury and can get back to full weight training. Not to make excuses, but my heels and right calf hurt from wearing dress shoes the previous day, and I'm a bit surprised by how normal my movement actually looked because it felt like hell :D

Going to do some weight training now, hoping to see a couple views or even comments when I get back ;) As always, every comment, like, favorite, subscription....is very welcome! :)

9. betazone

betazone Regular Member

Hi j4kie, you had him at 1:12, maybe could have been more aggressive and go for smash. Think this is the 2nd time I watched your video, you are very good with drops but you may want to attack and be more aggressive, it's a pity because you have good height and strength. Just my 2 cents, i am neither a coach or a pro plyr.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, you're definitely right. On court I never have the feeling my smash is all that strong, but watching this, I definitely should've smashed more. It's not quite as slow as I always think, actually :D
    But training with guys who can lift it back easily (at least in doubles) day in, day out tends to undermine your confidence in your smash :D

Favorite shot of the match: 2:33 :D

#1690 j4ckie, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  11. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

in the first game, you're ahead 20:16.
    then you do an unforced error: that may happen.
    then you lose 2 rallies: **** happens, that's normal.
    by then it's 20:19.
    then you do 3 service-return-errors in a row: that may never happen!

was it a mental issue? fitness?

1. generally these errors cost you games and matches. an easy unforced error here, an service fault there (i counted 2 in the beginning of game 1...), that easily sums up to 5 points. and that's exactly (or even more than) the difference between winning and loosing.

2. i agree that you somewhat lack explosiveness. your first step after the split step is often times rather slow. you know what to do here: squats, all kinds of jumps,...
    rope skipping helps a hell of a lot in becoming "light footed" (or whatever you call it in english, you know what i mean..).

keep up the good work, you definitely did improve.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You may have noticed my frustration after that game ;) Yeah. Unforgivable errors at the end. We had changed the shuttle and it was too fast, and I was unable to adapt quickly enough - also, the possibility of losing that game played on my mind from 20-18 on. I was a bit nervous because it was a huge opportunity for me, he played 3 divisions above me last season and was the big, big favorite for this match.
    Yeah, I'm back to normal weight training (which includes the squat machine for now), and gonna ask my club's coach to give me some jumping/fitness exercises to do as well. Rope skipping is a constant part of my training, although I'll have to get back to doing it to exhaustion after training. Also, more shadow footwork with focus on the first step.

Thanks for helping out! :)

13. betazone

betazone Regular Member

hi J4kie, I am back, i did not see the whole game last night. few other things
    - high service, need more practice as the length is not long enough
    - you play some very loose drops from 15 mins onwards. loose as in they were like 5inch or more above net (from what I can see), easy for him to control and win the point after that

- also when he serves low, you caught him out a few times with disguised pushes to his rear forehand, but I think you did not do such disguised pushes often enough.
    - plan B...need to have plan B. for myself when drops are not working etc I will turn on aggressive mode - attack is the best defence but again it depends on whether you have won first set or you want to play rubber set etc.
    - you may want to explore analyzing why points are win/lose during the game, obviously you know by now what have gone wrong but put yourself in similar shoes again, how will you play?
    - my personal view is that you may want to devote abit of time to tactical analysis of your game as well, and flexibility in switching gameplay pattern in-game.

(note :i only watched the game this time from 12mins onwards, last nite I watched the first 2 mins.....)

Good luck and keep smashing.....post more video and u can sure kick that guy ass the next time.

#1693 betazone, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks! A really helpful comment. I'll try and endure that match again to analyze a bit further :)
    Also gonna try and develop a few game plans. Usually I play just how I feel I can - which is mostly a bit defensive, depending on the opponent I play the net more or less (the weaker he is, the more I dare play net shots - which is probably why I struggle more than expected against stronger players^^).

#1694 j4ckie, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  15. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    For me the best practice to improve the speed and explosiveness on court is doing shadow footwork with shadow strokes (like jumps smash net kill etc.. ) and the insertion of recovery actions from strokes and the first step before you chose the next corner.
    Chose the next corner and your "first step" location by imagine the most likely return induced from your shadow stroke (do the shadow play with activated brain). And the most important thing is, do the shadow play as fast and as smooth as possible, try to go for the 120% by refining your movement techniques. It is better to do a short intervals (like 15 stokes) at utmost speed and to relax between the intervals, than to do a long interval at moderate speed.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Just the way I do it when I'm working on speed :)

17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Just had a good coaching session (well, it felt good/useful). Working a bit on drop shots and then trying to make my prep for them be hard(er) to distinguish from other shots.

[video=youtube_share;4EO2sRlZASE]http://youtu.be/4EO2sRlZASE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Xh_nI-tpNsw]http://youtu.be/Xh_nI-tpNsw[/video]

18. |_Footwork_|

nice ones.

the smash/cross court slice from the forehand side look pretty good. they're hard to distinguish, at least in the vids. nice!

on the backhand/overhead side, i think you hit the crosscourt sliced one a bit lower, your movement is a bit slower and you can tell from your body-position what you're gonna do. you could work on hitting the shuttle higher and do the slicing more with the wrist and underarm instead of the whole arm/body.

these exercises are really helpful, so keep up the good work!

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I think I need to do that for all of my shots! :D XD

20. |_Footwork_|

true, but it's most apparent when you do the overhead sliced shot...;)