Zymax vs. Gosen

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by phaaam, Jul 2, 2013.

1. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I mostly play with plastic shuttles at my university club (club provided shuttles) so please base your recommendations on that.

I've noticed that thin strings (e.g. BG66UM) don't work as effectively as slightly thicker strings (e.g. BG80) for my doubles and even singles game.

What I'm looking for in a string is mostly POWER. BG80 @ 24lbs. works well on my stiff rackets. Similarly, I've used ZM67 at 24+lbs. and it gets better as I increase the tension. BG80s hard feeling makes me put in more effort than I'd like, compared to ZM67, so a soft or medium feeling would be nice.

FEEL from a string doesn't matter too much for me. I can do tight net shots and defensive returns regardless of the string I use (trying out various strings from other players).

I've read that NBG98 gives awesome power, but it can be slippery. I ordered a pack just to try.

My next priority is the cost, a 200m reel of Zymax is $72, BG80 is $110, NBG98 is $127. This is where Gosen comes in, I can get Gosen Pro 70 (0.70mm) for $55! and R4x110 (0.68mm) for $79.

I did a search for Gosen R4x110 with very few posts, and some threads unanswered. And the Pro 70 thread was outdated c. 2006.

I am hoping someone can compare Gosen to Zymax to NBG98 strings in terms of power while using plastic shuttles.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

nbg98 with plastic is not going to last long... :p

have you tried zm65? it is very repulsive and has a medium feel so you don't feel the harshness of plastic

i use it for plastic at 23 lbs, whereas for feathers, i use zm62 at 23 lbs

3. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Thanks, visor. I actually read about your setup a few times in different threads :p. If I was going to get Zymax it would either be ZM65 white or ZM70 white (already have ZM67 red).

Really sad to hear that about the NBG98 :( But it can't be worse than ZM62 right??? Is the repulsion power far above the Zymaxes?

But Gosen Pro 70 is such a good deal though. Gonna order two off MBS to try out. DinkAlot's string chart actually says it's Good+, although he says its thickness looks like 0.75mm (packaging says 0.70mm).

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, try out a few packs first of Gosen, zm65/70 before ordering a reel.

Nbg98 coating notches rapidly, and when that happens, power is noticeably decreased. And also, it's expensive.

Bg65 is actually a very good option too. Soft feel and very repulsive. Just gotta prestretch first.

#4 visor, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  5. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I actually have some BG65 that I was waiting to find the right time to string up. Will test out Gosen and Zymax in the next month or so and see what I find.

So far Gosen Pro 70 seems like my pick. Durable, powerful, cheap, and no mention of string movement. Who knows, I might give ZM62 another shot after all the testing is over.

Which rackets do you use btw?

#5 phaaam, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

Zm62 will snap at the first smash with plastic. :p

My go to currently is RKEP XP60 and 70. Previously MX70/80, Revelation, P Pro.

7. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Haha if it doesn't, I'll give it to the guy at my club with the hardest smash =D

Damnit, visor, read about your RKEPs and now I'm reading the endless pages of reviews on the XP60, 70 and 80. Damnit, not going to sleep at all.