2013 Yonex Japan Open SS : Quarterfinals to FINALS (20th-22nd September 2013)

Discussion in 'Japan / Indonesia Open 2013' started by CLELY, Sep 19, 2013.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    when one subjective meet's another subjective
    the clashes of ego:D

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Exactly, that's why I said 'In that case' , of course that claim doesn't hold water - I was just using your 'logic'. You can only argue a player/pair has brought the level up another level if they do it more consistently over a sufficiently long period of time, just as what Wang Xiaoli/Yu Yang has done for WD.

3. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Hehe, it looks that way. Thing is, I would like to think that I am more objective than most. My favourite WS player is Wang Shixian, so it's not like I have anything against China etc, like some people here do hehe.

4. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I think that's not entirely correct. For example, the "level of play" that most players are at right now is much higher compared to players in the 1950s etc. Again, "level of play" is different to "number of titles won". Of course, they are not mutually exclusive, but I hope you get my point.

And yes, I agree Wang Xiaoli/Yu Yang "level of play" is much higher than anything we've ever seen before in that discipline.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Maybe LCW's flight home is in the afternoon.

6. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

because the organizer knows LCW sure win. haha... thus MS is not as exciting as the MD. haha :D

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At least what you say now sounds like a fair comment because we don't really know which of the two is more talented except subjectively until the future tells. The only problem is that statement of yours I highlighted appears to me to contain an inherent contradiction - "the most talented player ever...yet never win anything" ?

8. Penwinack

Penwinack Regular Member

No, LCW ,Ratchanok ,Ashan,Setiawan and Tuafix still in japan for promote their sponsor (Yonex) on monday and LCW will go to China for prepare CBSL.( correct me if I wrong:D)

I think,Yonex will have new edition ;)

#168 Penwinack, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  9. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

It's simply because "talent" is subjective, and it depends on what aspect of "talent" one is looking at.

Look, even if Ratchanok lost to Li Xueri and even if she hasn't won a Superseries title, I would still say she is the most talented WS player on tour right now. And again, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this.

10. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    I think LXR's standard of play since the Olympics has gone down. At the beginning of last year and leading up to the Olympics, her playing was marvellous to watch and so dynamic and every bit as good as Ratchanok at her best. Since then, she's gotten worse - watch her early 2012 matches and the matches she's played this year and see the difference. Speaking purely of racquet skills, though (not physical fitness, not court movement, simply what the hand and arm can do with the racquet), Ratchanok is hard to beat.

There's no need to defend LXR - she's already won the ultimate prize in sport and she can retire tomorrow with nothing left to prove. There are a frustrated few who'd love nothing better than to goad you into getting defensive about LXR (and by extension, China) when, quite frankly, what they've achieved (purely in terms of hardware) is what everyone else is aiming for.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It goes without saying we're talking about contemporary players/pairs , not comparing with predecessors decades ago.

Glad to know you like Wang Shixian, she's also my favourite once upon a time. Her special style of play mesmerized me, caught practically all her opponents off-guard and by surprise until they eventually figured her out, which is why her reign lasted barely a year.

12. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

That's exactly how I feel too. That's why I think, based on racket skills, Ratchanok is the most talented of them all. I suppose that's what I should have written before hehe.

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i hope tago beat lcw tomorow!:)

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes, but I had to use that comparison to clarify what my viewpoint is based on - "level of play" is different to "number of titles won", but not mutually exclusive.

15. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Tago deserves to win a Superseries title. It's going to be very heartbreaking for him to lose to the same man for the 5th time in a final. But based on how LCW is playing right now, that's exactly what's going to happen!

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Precisely, you're right. LXR's achievement speaks for itself, she absolutely doesn't need me or anyone else to be her apologists. What she has already accomplished at a relatively young age is more than what most can only dream of in their lifetimes.

Personally, I'm 'greedy' for LXR and sincerely wish to see her scale greater heights as she really has it in her to do it, not just for her own sake but for the badminton world at large because I simply love her style of play when she is at her attacking best. To be frank, I also enjoy IR's style of play, less aggressive but more fluid. These two are the best at the moment. Looking forward to seeing both of them at their best pitting their skills with each other in future.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For tomorrow, my sentiments go to K Tago but objectively speaking, the reality is LCW is unstoppable, a cut above him.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What's more, LCW knows Tago's game inside out, they are old foes unless the latter can spring a surprise, highly improbable.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Btw, this is the last tournament for Chai Biao and Hong Wei as a pair after which they will be split. So tomorrow's result I suppose won't change anything, I don't think CBA will change their mind even if the outcome is a pleasant surprise for them, will they ?

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I think it is too early to jump into conclusion. May is talented. I accept it. But she did not play a single tournament after her world championships. Let us wait to see how world has prepared to face her or how well she has prepared to defend her. For everything, we can see the result in Denmark Open super series premier where all the top guns will participate. :)