Yonex new racket is coming: Nanoray Z speed!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kumache, May 29, 2013.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Really. What did you say your level was again?

2. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    I didn't....

3. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
  4. dairyboichau

dairyboichau Regular Member

I've been waiting forever and checking everyday for someone to review this racket in comparison to the VT80 and finally couldn't wait and went out to purchase one to try it out myself.

Gotten 4 sessions (ranging from 2 to 4 hour sessions) with this baby and I'm loving every second with it! Coming from a VT80 3UG4 strung with BG80 28/26. Using Aeroplane Blacks atm in case anyone was interested.

Currently wielding a NRZS 3UG5 with BG80 28/26. I realize the grip is different on the rackets but hey they didn't have a G4 and I couldn't wait.

On the dry swing you can definitely feel the head weight of the racket - I can't say its heavier than the VT80 but I can for sure say it feels a lot quicker.

During warm ups, at first it took some time to hit the sweet spot as the head is smaller. But after a while, clears became effortless - the repulsion is a lot better than the VT80. Drives were a lot easier as well, and I did not feel much fatigue on fast paced drives. Smashes were very smooth but felt that it needed a bit more wrist to generate the same power and depth compared to the VT80 (the same can be said for back hand shots). Net shots felt very easy to get net tight drops.

During game time I did not feel slowed down at all from the racket and in fact was a complete joy to play with - the only thing was the timing for the first session where I framed a lot more than I usually did with my VT80. It felt a lot faster playing with the racket and it really just feels like there was an extension to my arm. But over all control, power, and the balance were very very good.

5. gy79bc

gy79bc Regular Member

programmer
    Not a review, but just some feels after played NZS 3UG4 with NBG98 at 25 twice.

Swing wise, it feels lighter than VT80-4U, VTZF-4U, in par with NS850-3U, ARC8DX-3U, ARC7-3U feels havey both static and swing wise than NR700FX-4U, NS3000-4U, NS7700-3U, VT70-3U, Head powerhelix 10000-3U

I have no timing issue, rarely hit frame with NZS, however, I do feel really bad about NZS is it had little numb feel similar to MX80-3U of Victor, which I really do not like, very big contrast to NS8000 and NS3000.

I like NS8000 and NS3000 a lot, very good sharp response, light and yet
    I can smash good also. With NZS, I only found backhand clear is better than all I mentioned except VT lines. Smash wise, it is less powerfull than VT-ZF and AT900T, but indeed it is faster. I even could not execute a good forhand drive or clear (sharp, short, crispy sound. I guess than Sonic metal is really not doing the job). I used to like ARC8DX, but after restring to NBG98, I could not find its advantage. I am not like all NS line,
    e.g. No liking to NS9000X. and I do not like ARC7. All rackets strings are NBG98 except NR700FX with bg66UM, ARC7 with NBG95.

It looks to me NR line packs most of new technology while ARC line with least technology. I am plan to get NR750 3UG5 which I forsee it will fit my style, however, I could not get a 3UG5 in US, only 4UG4.

6. melforge

melforge Regular Member

senior designer
    i already bought a pair of this..n its really awsome..just using the wrist..n the racket can do it all..that means gotta have a high lvl of control of the shuttle 1st ahaks..

7. silvertoes

silvertoes Regular Member

Multimedia Designer
    quite interested with the Z Speed and MX JJS. anyone can share his/her experience with both?

8. whs9988

whs9988 Regular Member

Anyone tried NRZSP 2U?

9. gy79bc

gy79bc Regular Member

programmer
    Played with NZS again. This time I feel one has to use a lot wrist power to execute good shot, when use wrist out of position smash still can be made.
    Backhand clear power is really best among all my used rackets.

10. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

I happen to have the both of them but not much game time with both of them. So here's just my point of view:

NRS - 3ug5 - 66um @ 27lbs
    JJS - 3ug2 - n98 @ 25/27lbs (got it as a gift from a friend so haven't changed the string and can't tell is 25/27lbs but it feels good.)

Backhand
    NRS > JJS. The NRS really out shine the JJS in the back hand department. It actually felt effortless as compared to other rackets as well.

Smashes
    JJS > NRS. The JJS lived up to its billing as a smashing racket. It is powerful more so than the NRS. NRS might be faster but it doesn't give as much threat as to JJS.

Drives
    JJS = NRS. Here is one department that I do not get much time on, but generally based on the limited time that I had, the feel was more or less the same. Able to react and push fast.

Drops
    JJS ? NRS. In my opinion, both rackets utilize a different kind of drop approach.. With the NRS, it was more of a touch and go to the spots (variety) that you want (given the head light frame), whereas with the JJS, its more of the slicing approach which can be steeper.

Defense
    NRS > JJS. JJS is a pretty good def racket but if compare to NRS, I will say NRS is a better defence racket due to the headlight frame and faster swing. The difference in defense is actually very narrow, probably 1 second reaction time.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Selwyn Jones again? Mine should be here on Monday;).

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Just seen the UK price... £190. Weirdly, I now feel a lot better about getting the JP rackets:).

In all seriousness, you could order this racket from anywhere else in the Solar System and it wouldn't come to £190 after shipping!

13. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    For £190 I'd expect it to play for me

14. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Yeah that's ridiculous. Although basically sold out here, it's the same price as all the other high end Yonex rackets. Yonex UK are being a bit cheeky.

15. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Mark

I feel a racket testing session coming on at Selwyn Jones as you say. Give it a week or so and I will have a few goodies from Victor to throw into the mix.

Paul

www.badminton-coach.co.uk

16. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Paul, probably the wrong thread and off topic, but what happened to this:
    http://badminton-coach.co.uk/4584/yonex-voltric-z-force-badminton-racquet-review/
    Did you ever test it again? It would be nice to see you follow up on it, since you were injured at the time of review.

Back on topic, I'm almost certain you will not like the Z-Speed much - that is, around a 3-4 star rating. How do I know? Well, it's a combination of things including bias (I know you try not to be, but being Victor sponsored doesn't help) and too many 5-star rated rackets recently hehe.

17. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

It's been a long time since I tested a Yonex racket. But had 17 Apacs rackets before this, and it took all the playing time last months.:)

I have the Z-Speed for about 2 weeks, and at the beginning, I did not want to give my opinion. My first impression was not positive. During stringing, I discovered the sticker issue was still there (just like the Z-Force) but not as bad.
    NR-ZS00.jpg

It was just on the edge and a white spot appeared from the transparent lack. I strung mine with BG66 Ultimax at 11 kg as usual. The version I have is a 3U-G4 model.
    NR-ZS01.jpg

To achieve the new record, there is a new frame design, but also the Horizontal-A concept, highlighted with the black stripes on the frame:
    NR-ZS02.jpg

And the Snap Back Zone:
    NR-ZS03.jpg

At the beginning, I had some timing issues. The racket feels heavy, but during play, it was not as heavy as it felt in hand. I had no issues playing at medium strength. In fact, there is a noticeable increase in speed. The problem arrises when playing hard and fast. I just couldn't get any power out of it or control. Clears and drops were not a problem, but as soon as I wanted to smash, I hit the frame. Trickshots did not work well either. It was the fast movement which differs from a conventional racket. If you are used to the Z-rackets, the timing should be easier, but still it's different. If you compare the frame with the Z-Slash and Z-Force, the head of the Z-Speed is wider. They are all smaller, but the Z-Speed is more isometric compared to the other Z's.

As for the feeling, it feels very dead. There is no feedback and I really had no idea if I was hitting the sweet spot or not. The racket does feel stiff, but everything feels dampened. I tried everything to get power out of it, but if I can get more power out of the Carbonex 30 MS, I must be using the racket the wrong way.

Today was the start of the 3rd week trying to control this racket. I tried playing with more swing, and with a lot of wrist. The problem was the combination of a heavy feel racket, but as soon as it moves, there was less air resistance. And the last match, I tried something I would never have thought doing in doubles, and that is holding the racket as low as possible. And that did the trick for me! Because holding the racket low, the acceleration was not so fast and I felt I could finally control the racket. Not only the fast shot's were back, I also manage to have power back into my smashes. The racket felt powerful, but not as powerful as the VT80 and VT-ZF. Playing with this racket needs time to adapt. I do think this racket has potential to smash fast. But you need a lot of power to get the frame to 'snap' the Zone. Due to this limitation, I think this racket is a top racket dedicated to top players. As long as I'm not able to snap the racket, the real power remains locked for me. Also, I do think the speed of this racket is here, but there is a difference between speed and power. Cannot really explain this. It's something like a fast movement versus a powerful smash. I will give it another try this Wednesday, but I do not expect this racket will be my new favorite.

18. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    Ive had a chance to use mine now for 2 weeks. Let me say that my smashes are much more explosive and drives are a lot quicker. No problem with drops either. I do have to mention though that the first few times I did have some timing issues and hit the frame quite a few times.

19. silvertoes

silvertoes Regular Member

Multimedia Designer
    thank u for ur reviews. now im not sure what to get Z Speed is around RM560 and JJS is RM600 in Malaysia.

please do share more comparisons when u spent more time with the Z Speed

20. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Pretty sure you can get a JJS cheaper than that from RKEP Eric.