2014 INDIA Grand Prix Gold : Qualification to FINALS (21st-26th January 2014)

Discussion in 'Korea / Malaysia / India Open 2014' started by CLELY, Jan 20, 2014.

1. whyau

whyau Regular Member

IT consultant
  2. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

Thank you Alan.

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i recall hearing mf said, xue song remind him of lee chong wei

4. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

You are correct. According to the BWF records, XS' birthday is 1/22/1994.

However, I am not sure if he is the next CL (maybe THW is ahead of him) and his style reminds me another great player Yang Yang during the 80's.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    That was in reference to the cross-court smashes.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I noticed Xue Song took a while to adjust to his opponents' style of play as evident in the IND Open GPG, imho. Against S Varma, an attacking player, in R3, he was trying to out-attack him, then in the QF and SF against S Dey and A Prakash, two rallying stroke players, he was playing a patient manoeuvring game, and,finally, against K Srikanth, a fast and furious attacker, he struggled at first to cope with his strong opponent's frenetic pace before he got the hang of it.

Well, he's barely into the first year of his international career (excluding his junior days), there's still a lot for him to learn. So far, he's doing all right, not as good as I hoped for initially but well enough. Only time will tell how far he can go, I shan't speculate too much.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If I may take the liberty to say so, I would liken K Srikanth to Lee CW and Xue Song to Chen Long (previously when I first saw XS play last year at the beginning of his career,I'd say he is more like Lin Dan, the attacker).

8. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Can someone id these players please?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Young starting-out LCW, CL, LD or the current ones? :)
    not too long ago, guru used to dominate srikanth, and sai praneeth could control the game's pace with him well. srikanth has a good future awaiting him - provided he continues to improve and add to his game. safe to say that then he'd be fit to carry on the legacy of chetan anand, anand pawar, kashyap and ajay jayaram for india (in the 2nd tier, not-so-top MS in the last decade or so)!
    Song seems to have all the needed ingredients in his game, he just needs continuous exposure

10. tommy_bun

tommy_bun Regular Member

yu xiao han....huang ya qiong....huang kai xiang ?....li jun hui or liu yu chen

11. swunk

swunk Regular Member

1st pic left to right
    Qingchen Chen, Yi Fan Jia, Kaixiang Huang, Li Junhui, Liu Yuchen (right corner)

12. liiil

liiil Regular Member

Srikanth's performance in the 3rd game was badly affected by poor judging and line calls. Xue Song was given an extra point in the 2nd game. The BWF graph is also incorrect.
    5:18:05 the score announced is 1:4
    5:18:27 XS serves from the left, loses the point
    5:18:40 on-screen 5:1, problems with the referee’s scoreboard
    5:19:54 SK serves from the left, wins the point
    5:20:19 on-screen 6:1, announced 6:2
    5:20:35 SK serves from the right and into the net
    5:20:43 on-screen 6:2, announced 6:3
    5:21:00 the referee shows XS he has 3 points and tells him to serve from the left.
    XS makes 5 points in a row to lead 8:6
    Finally, the 3rd game started with a bad line call causing Srikanth to make more errors. When he regained his spirit, it was too late to stop XS on the way to his first ever GPG title.

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Is Sindhu still using yonex?. What happened to her li ning contract?

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I watched the match only today and I wanted to tell what I inferred from this match. Though srikanth lost, I must say, he was the better player than xue song. He has that very powerful smash which won him most of the points he earned. Xue sing could return only 4 or 5 smashes back. And also, his deceptive flicks and net play were excellent. He is still in need of vast improvement. On the other hand, xue song (who practices alongside all the world champions and olympics champions) has all round game with less errors. Srikanth does not like to rally. He simply wants to finish the match as quickly as possible. That's why he had to pay the price. And also, pressure of playing in front if home crowd and continuous coaching hindrance in between rallies really shattered him. Let's see how xue song plays when he meets srikanth again . He has already beaten jan o jorgensen , boonsak ponsanna, sho sasaki, son won ho, hu yun . These are some of the notable top 10 players needed to be mentioned. He is just 20 years old. Xue song is already a complete player, I must say. Whereas, srikanth still needs improvement in many areas. Still he almost won the match. Thanks to xue song for showing srikanth's weaknessess. Definitely he will look into that and improve further. Nobody will be able to forget how he grabed one game from lee chong wei in ibl .

15. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Xue Song win over 6 host players to claim the title. perhaps this is the first and only in history

16. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    a series of bad line call denied Deng Xuan and Lindaweni to win the SF match

17. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

My friend, you may have missed another "first and only in history". Surely this must be the first time ever that the whole contingent from a visiting or home country is playing in the semifinal stage. I have not watched the DX-Saina match. If what you said about the line calls is true then a more sensational piece of badminton history could have been made with the whole visiting contingent involved in the final stage.
    I am, of course, aware that many countries did not send participants or their best except the host.
    祝大家新年快樂!

18. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    It wouldn't be good for any sport. Imagine WC soccer has Brazil vs Brazil, Italy vs Italy or Germany vs Germany in the final.

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Line calls were much better than china and korea. Everybody know what happens there and how they will try to win matches. Lol.

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Infact the line calls went against saina which eventually helped deng xuan in that match. Deng xuan is a good actor. Deng xuan's smash went directly out and it was clearly visible. No question and doubt in that.