Asian game 2014

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2014' started by Penwinack, Mar 18, 2014.

1. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I really disagree with including Cai Yun. He is nowhere near peak form. Why not play Zhang Nan with FHF? I feel that's been China's best MD team.

2. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Japan's made a wise decision to select Akane Yamaguchi and Takahashi in the WS field.

3. Zomania

Zomania Regular Member

Student
    Oh, not Mitani. I'm surprise!! AY and ST are good, but Mitani is great too. Anyway, their coach know them better than me.

And CHN will sent WYH, best wishes for her, hope she can play like herself and recover from the injury.

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Would you believe it? ?. Maldives sent 4 WD players whereas india sent 2. Really unfortunate.

I heard in an interview of Aswini Ponappa saying that she dont like to partner with pradnya (main doubles player) instead she will prefer p.v.sindhu partnering her. Even her coach Tom also suggesting that. His view about this is that sindhu can share the work load at the back with aswini so that she need not do all the smashes from the back if necessary to win a point.

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

So Wang Shixian who grabbed gold medal four years ago only play for team event and Lee Hyun-il as well, host KOR choose Son Wan-ho and Lee Dong-keun for individual event.

6. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

Seems like the right move given her embarrassing play at the WC. Hope WYH is healthy.

7. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    If you consider the last couple months, WSX's performance has been better compared to WYH. In the past 3 tournaments, WYH has lost in the 2nd round whereas in comparison, WSX lost at a much later stage in the tournament. Also, considering WSX is the defending champion at the Asian Games, she should have been given a chance instead of WYH who has been struggling abit lately.

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Infact, she is playing really well. She reached semis of australian super series premier, indonesian SSP and world championships but eventually lost to players who played very well on that day .

9. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Wang Shixian can play well but only reach as high. She is not a world champion. She lacks that killer instinct. Wang Yihan is perhaps the most deadly player when she wants to play. I still remember that Badminton Unlimited video, where almost every player in the video unequivocally singled out WYH as their most feared opponent. Also remember, we may not know behind-the-scene status, I'm sure LYB must have taken the decision which seems best to him.

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Leave LYB aside. Who cares what he thinks about.. ?. There was a talk about wang shixian there. That's why I stepped in to provide some inputs. Besides, yihan is very experienced and one of the tallest player in the circuit who knows how to use her height. There is nothing like fear or anything like that. This is just a game. I would like to know how she will do against some more taller players like p.v.sindhu in the next 10 encounters. Sindhu is still very young and not matured yet. I wanna see those encounters. I want sindhu to meet yihan in the draw of singles(ASIAN GAMES). So that she can learn more which will do good for the welfare of her future career.

11. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Easy, dude ... Why do I smell (perhaps) an air of hostility and maybe jingoism?
    As for LYB, you may not care, but most of the people do. He is the chief coach, selector and the leader of the most successful squad on earth, and has been for some time. One thing different about him (from other coaches) is that he has marketed himself as the leader. I even see him in advertisements. He can safely be regarded as the most influential person in badminton today.
    As for fear, well as far as my memory permits, I think this was the question asked to the players, and the ones asked all responded with WYH. (incidentally it was also asked to sindhu)
    About sindhu, I have high hopes that she will be able to better her much well known senior. How much? Only time will tell. Remember, there are other players in her age group who have acheived more than her, like Ratchanok Intanon (undoubtedly), Carolina Marin (atleast for me her WC win alone makes her more distinguished, and she is 1-2 years elder). So she will certainly have competition along the way. Let's see how she handles everything.

12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Jingoism? Infact , it's funny that you are judging me !!!!!!...lol

Regarding the 'most feared opponent' part , would you be able to provide any link of sindhu's interviews where she mentioned yihan as 'most feared opponent' . ?...

Man, if you consider sindhu did not achieve anything compared to the players of her age group, I must say, she did more than what you ever expected her to do.. she is the history maker for india which nobody here ever did.. what more we can expect from her? This is step by step process. This is not like becoming world champion and later disappearing ....

I answered this just because your judging sentences.

Ok.. coming to asian games, I definitely say, shixian is better than yihan in her techniches. She has that deft touches at the front court which yihan does not even has. But unfortunate, she was not selected for singles..

13. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Is there streaming for the badminton event?

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

15. Zomania

Zomania Regular Member

Student
    I think CHN want gold in WS very much. If LXR won the world title, it should be LXR and WSX in AG. But LXR failed to grabbed the gold, and LYB has a concern that may happen again in AG. WSX is a great player, no doubt about that. But she just not the champion, not yet. I think she was tested many times this year and she failed. In BAC she lost gold to Sung YH, Australia open lose to SN and in WC almost won the 2nd game and the match but she lost it.(or you can say Sindhu won it) WYH is not in the good form recently, why? Injury or whatever but if she play like herself she has a change to win gold but if not she will not reach QF. If CHN send WSX, I think she will reach QF or SF for sure as always, but I can't see WSX win gold. I know she is the defending champion but now the players are different, if SN or Sindhu are in her way the chance go to the Indians. So LYB just let WYH decide, which Yihan will be on court.

#35 Zomania, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  16. Zomania

Zomania Regular Member

Student
    Actually, I agree that WSX deserve a place in the individual evant cause she did well this year but WYH not. But LYB is still LYB he wants gold, and he will send the players that he thinks has a better chance.

17. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    It's unfortunate that india steps in even without a proper WD pair. They did not bring pradnya gadre. Instead they are planning to use singles players to play doubles.

Tanvi lad, p.c.thulasi are in the squad. hmmmmm... so many years, they have been playing without proper doubles pair.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    time flies.

i still remember 2006 Asian Games like it was yesterday.

19. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Here, it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpgCodzKNPE&list=PL77E6232445342EF8&index=12
    start watching at around 12 minutes.
    Also, the word used was not "most feared", it was something like the most overall best player.

Finally, for sindhu, I haven't said that she hasn't acheived anything. What I have said is that there are players in her age group who have acheived more like Ratchanok and Carolina.
    Sindhu has won 2 grand prix gold and 2 WBC bronze.
    Ratchanok has won 1 superseries, 4 grand prix/gold, 1 wbc. (As such by all conventions, winning 1 gold is always above any number of other medals)
    Carolina has won the wbc. (Here, I agree her performance in the international circuit has been not that great, but a world champion is a world champion.)
    Tai Tzu Ying, 2 superseries, 2 GP/GPG
    There are also players who are just below or equal to her, like busanan ongbumrungpan.
    And then, the current crop of players aren't going to hand up before Rio (LXR can continue till Tokyo).
    So, going forward, if we extrapolate this linearly to future, sindhu has shown the mettle to reach a world ranking of 5-6, but not (yet) beyond that.
    But, after all this is all my analysis.

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    For your information, "almost won" cannot be used as she did not even reach match point. She was 16-12 up in the second game.. that's all. How can it be considered as "almost won".

Infact, In BAC, sindhu was the one who was about to win the match against shixian. She was one game up and 20-18 up in the second. But eventually , she lost it.

I ask you which one is nearer to winning..?. You can't even compare these two. Lol.