for those who are starting badminton...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Lord Darken

Lord Darken New Member

Same with me too. I'm still beginner. Very useful tips indeed.!
    Thank you.

2. SHiX

SHiX New Member

This should get a separate space on the home page! :p

ainchekar likes this.
  3. idofgrahf

idofgrahf New Member

I completely agree, any starter of badminton should start in this order:
    Grip,
    form / technique, usually in the form of over head clear strokes
    footwork
    if you have spare time, stamina.

That said, I would go so far to say that unless your form is correct, you should not be on the court hitting at all. Sounds really boring and it does suck, however, having the right form / technique from the start is paramount. If you start badminton just hitting it around, sure you will eventually get the hang of the game but your technique / form will be off and you will plateau quickly, there is a reason why professionals have roughly the same strokes with minor variations, because they work. It also makes correcting your form very difficult down the line. When I trained, we were not allowed even on the court for the first 3 month, all we did is practice our strokes, nothing else. Years later, we found out that it simply takes too long to correct you if you start with the wrong form, so its actually quicker this way. Muscle memory is hard to lose, but its also hard to correct.

As for the others, fake moves etc, these will come to you naturally in the fullness of time. It is simply not possible for you to try any fancy tricks if you can not get into position quickly. A net fake usually requires you to intercept the shuttle in an advantageous position which cannot happen if your foot work is not up to par. If you watch Peter Gades practice his double action you will notice he does it when he can intercept the shuttle close to the top of the net, not when he is scrambling at the bottom. Also should note, fake shots has a higher chance of error, which may negate its point unless you can do it consistently.

#123 idofgrahf, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    ainchekar and visor like this.
  4. ainchekar

ainchekar Regular Member

Very well articulated

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

5. Eko Andrianto

Eko Andrianto New Member

Definitely agree with you Bro...

In every training, the coach team always and always repeated the footwork training. Little bit lazy to practice this, but when we play, we got a lot of advantage, can cover almost the 4 or six point yard, can hit the shuttle properly - I think... Much easier

6. julioalmeda219

julioalmeda219 New Member

Thank you for the info

7. MingDao

MingDao New Member

Thanks for the info, but I understand that the Grip Guide is gone. Found the replacement on the Badminton Bible, but it does not seem to be for beginners anymore... There is no info on the Basic Grip and all the other are confusing.
    Are there any other beginner resources on grip and stroke basics? Thanks.

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thejym/videos
    with footwork too

9. Alex123

Alex123 New Member

DO NOT FOCUS ON:

- trick shots
    - fancy style
    - strength training
    - expensive racket

as a moderate beginner, when you mean trick shots and fancy style , do you mean copying the style of high ranked competitive players like Lin Dan,LCW or others? Since i do tend to want to play like Chen Long
    and racket wise, im using cheap fleet rackets but still cant find a good ones that gives me a good feeling when playing... should i just focus on perfecting basic shots before looking for the right racket?

10. bek sun

bek sun New Member

nokh88 likes this.
  11. Jooji

Jooji New Member

Hi All,

These tips are so useful! I have only just started to learn to play badminton over the last 2 months or so. I am blogging about my experience so far.

www.badmintonchronicles.com

I have found learning how to hold the racket the trickiest! I always start off with the right grip but then change it somehow. At the moment my only saving grace is my short serve!

Jooji

drmchsraj likes this.
  12. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Awesome to have another blogger and a female to boot! My blog is http://www.badmintonbecky.com and I actually wrote a post about my hair too, haha. Although we have totally different problems. http://www.badmintonbecky.com/2017/02/20/badminton-problems-hair/

Even though we had different problems I like that someone can share my pain. ;) Anyway, I read your blog and it's great! Keep up the blogging and the playing. It's totally worth it.

Jooji likes this.
  13. Jooji

Jooji New Member

Hi! I have checked out your blog and really like it! I will be following! It is so cool that you are learning to play badminton in China! Looks like your badminton skills have come a long way which really inspires and motivates me!

Haha yes we do indeed have different problems but good to know I am not the only one! Thanks for checking out my blog :)

nokh88 and drmchsraj like this.
  14. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Yeah, your blog is great! I really like reading about other people's experience in playing badminton. And not just a general overview but like, the more detailed nitty-gritty stuff.

Jooji likes this.
  15. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    There are time where you are struggling to learn and it seems your progress is not going anywhere. Despite having the full understanding about the correct technique, did your homework but your shots still looks horribly wrong and damn it is very frustrating.

Dont blame yourself as even top world class player be it Lin Dan or Datuk Lee Chong Wei or Roger Federer or Lionel Messi goes at certain point of their career such situation. There are numerous factors that can contribute to such situation varying from the physicality aspects i.e fatigue, mentality i. e personal problems etc.

It is the upmost important aspect that if you're going to learn badminton be it with your coach or friend, your heart and mind is also well prepared so that you can have the full concentration and focus to learn it properly. As important it is such as to learn how to grip your racket correctly, having a correct grip will be no good If you look depressingly tired while playing. Acess yourself, be well prepared, sort out any issue that can affect your learning concentration if possible and have enough rest.

SS

DanNguyen, Jooji and kwun like this.
  16. DanNguyen

DanNguyen Regular Member

Important for beginner as well: find the balance between having fun and be ready to commit to training! I have seen people getting frustrated and depressed all the time from training. Remind yourself of why you started training in the first place.
    A cent for you: the more you understand the game, the more fun and challenging it becomes. It’s like a growing loving relationship. It is great!

kwun likes this.
  17. shooting stroke

Elaborating more what was well said here

Phase 1

Understand the theory and application

How to move properly around the court (correct footwork) + correct basic techniques (grips etc) + how to perform correctly all the basic shots (smash, dropshot etc) + fitness exercise (jogging, skipping etc)

Your main objective at this phase - can confidently understand and perform all the above CORRECTLY.

If you already able to achieve this then the next step is to practice to improve more all the quality there are in how you play

Phase 2

Improving the quality of your gameplay

You cannot improve the quality of any of your style of play if you still cannot master CORRECTLY phase 1. For an example, how can you execute a tight net play if your still can't execute a basic netplay.

At this phase

Improve the quality of your footwork
    - reaction time and stability
    - speed of movement
    - speed of recovery
    - balance

Improve the quality of your shots
    - validity
    - accuracy
    - power
    - deception

Learn to control emotions and mental
    Learn peripheral vision
    Improve cardiorespiratory endurance
    Improve musculoskeletal strength and endurance

At this phase, high level of commitment, discipline and physical endurance required. Involved possibly as much competition or games for self evaluation. As your gameplay improved then in the next phase it's just to further fine tune your style of play

Phase 3

Dedicated training to further fine tuning your style of play.

Footwork
    - faster reaction time and court coveage agility
    - better reaction stability and movement balance

Quality of your shots
    - 100% validity
    - 100% accuracy
    - improved power
    - more deceptive

Stronger mentality and character
    Excellent eye coordination and peripheral vision
    Better physical fitness and endurance

Understanding the above phases, you can see that is why it is very vital to grasp first all the essence of learning the basic before moving forward if you want to be a better player. That's why this thread was written at the first place. No point to focus on difficult shots if even your basic shot is not executed correctly or mostly end up stuck in the net. Patient plays a critical part also in your quest to learn.

SS

18. kurty

kurty Regular Member

ah long
    Hello SS,

Since you are a coach, may i ask you about double play.

My friend told me single and double plays differently.

My questions for double play:
    Serving - low forehand or high serve, which is actually better?
    footstep, for low serve - master leg in front.
    High serve, master leg behind to support the posture.

Receiving
    Footstep,
    both legs, slightly bend in parallel.
    or master leg behind, in order to sprint front or rear.

is this correct?

19. shooting stroke

Hi

Single and doubles plays differently mainly in the aspect of strategy and certain type of shots selection. Practical applications as far as for techniques and footwork is still the same.

As far as when you want to serve in doubles, there are no type of serves that is much better than the others. If you can execute a high serve that create more problems than your low serve than a high serve is better similarly vice versa. Importantly, .mastering both a very good low and high serve is very important so that you can have a wider option of what type of serves you can used esp to adapt against players that can reply serves well.
    In theory, why players adapt more into low serves because it reduces chances for the opponent to mount an attack if executed well. Having said this, players also sometimes use a high serve to deceive opponents into thinking he is going to do a low serve... A flick serve.

About the preparation, your racket leg should be in front while preparing your serve and racket leg at the back while preparing to receive the serve

MrWilsonxD and kurty like this.
  20. MrWilsonxD

MrWilsonxD New Member

Man. 13 years later, you've helped a newbie to badminton. Thank you :)