Meanings of Level of Play

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by viver, Dec 31, 2000.

1. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Re: How to rate myself?

When people are talking about level A, B, C, D, it's the tournament level they're playing in. With "A" being the top, and "D" is the lowest. It is not how you feel your level is.

If you want to know what level you're at, you can try to play in a few tournament and see if you get a compatible match in that level. Normally, people who just started playing in tournaments, they will start in a lower level, maybe C or D. Unless you have confidence that you're much better then average players in your club, maybe you can start in B. And everytime you win in the level, you move up a level, however, it also depends on how big the tournament is. I would say, it's fair to stay in that level and win twice, after getting fist place two times in that level, you should move up to a higher level.

There are also different opinions of levels in different geographical area can be a little different. So at some places, the level D would equal to C at other places.

2. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    I too also am wondering how this rating system works but since I've never played any tournaments, it would be hard to rate myself. However, I have gone to this one club near me where a lot of national ranked players played. So yeah, best way to rate yourself is by playing with people of known ranking and rating and see how you compare with them.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: How to rate myself?

So, u mean, the "level" is actually the tournament's level??? Not for players? So, the level of tournament that a player participate the most (of course, with respectful result, not just 1st round out every single time), is his level... hmmm...

Then, another stupid question, how to rate the tournament then??? How did the ppl who organize , to rate the current tournament?

4. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Re: Re: Re: How to rate myself?

I'm so Sorry, I must of confused you badly... It's not the "tournament level"...normally, in a tournament, it will have 4 flights (or levels) A, B, C and D. And you can sign up for the flight that fits your own level. Does that make more sense?

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Oh, I see...

Guess tournament that I participate were not that formalized... They only have sections for "MS, MD, LS, LD, XD". Maybe age group, too. Never see them put level A, B, C, etc around...

hehehehheeh...

6. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Yeah, I've also been wondering, how do0 you rate your self? I've had a friend to tell me that she's in advance level and she's not good at all!

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Is that poor girl, who got blew out by u 15-0, but still claimed to have "nature talent"???

Then, I can rate u to be A+++...

:D

8. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

In the clubs i've been to, most "intermediate" and "advanced" players are all the same level, and i'm sure its the same in most regions. Skill level is a regional thing i guess

9. LIPlayer

LIPlayer Regular Member

Rating anyone's play is a matter of personal judgement usually done in comparision with some already ranked players. Rating is not a science but an art (Ranking may be science that usually based on tournament results). Rating may differ from person to person and may be totally wrong sometime. Many people have tendency to rank themself higher then they actually are. Many tournaments only have A and B levels. Trust me, if you are an "A" level player then you should already know by now. Nobody becomes A level player in vaccum.

The way I look ranking is as follows:

Pros: Full time Badminton player who plays international tournaments.

A+: Player who qualifies to play IBF ranking tournament where some Top world ranking players are also playing.

A : Player who qualifies to play nationally rank tournaments and have good chances to get to Quater Final or highers.

A-:Who is good enough to play in nationally ranked tournaments and also good enough to get to second or third rounds but not good enough to get to QF.

B : Players who plays nationally rank tournaments lose in their first round and then do good in consolation tournament.

B- : Do bad in consolation but good enough to look good in playing badminton.

C: Who can hold some rallies once in a while. May become partner to play doubles with B level. Participates local tournaments (non ranking) but don't get anywhere except having fun.

D: Beginnners: Those who enjoy playing but needs to work on almost everything.

I hope above helps.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    LIP,

i don't agree with the rating. i imagine if that rating is used, then 75% of the people who plays in tournament will be in B-

11. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    and 80% of the general badminton population would be D. :D

12. LIPlayer

LIPlayer Regular Member

Agree: I would say from personal experience that 80 percents who plays badminton do not go to tournaments. Most of them could be rated as C, and D level players.

By just playing in any tournament does not make a person an "A" level player.

May be I do not want to dilute A level player's acheivement. I believe A level is acheived by less then 5 percent who plays badminton. Next 15 percent can be considered good players that is B level. All remaining 80 percent do belong in C and D level (off course my judgement only).

We tends to overrate players from whom we lose a game. May be we want to justify our loss but that does not make a winner an "A" level player either.

There is nothing wrong to be C or D level. These players, play for fun mostly and that is great. Not everyone has to be so competitive!

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i guess the level is really dependent on the location of the tournament.

if there is one absolute level, then if one go to some location with low level of skills (like the US. :) ) then there will be no one playing level A.

thus i think the level really varies. and in most places, they are some like taking the whole badminton population, and then do a even distribution, 25% A, 25% b, etc.

case in point. i usually play level B/C in the N. Cali area. i was told that the level is higher in S. Cal, and i was also told that if i play a tourney in Hongkong, i will be playing level E.... so there. :)

14. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Just repeating my quote from before, "there is always someone better than you, and always someone not as good." Your rating depends on your competition and how people perceive your game. Best way to figure it out is just go and try it.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    what happened to B+, C+, D+, D-??

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's even more confusing in England because they have different leagues of different standards. You might be division one player in one league but pretty poor in another.

In M'sia, they don't seem to have much in the way of formalised leagues but you can find really excellent players around.

Met a guy from Holland when I was in Sydney. He said he had a ranking in Holland in the 200's (for doubles). Well, I like to think I am a couple of levels above what he was:)

The best way is go travelling around playing in different countries. (Check out badmintonfanatic link):cool:

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    That's surelly help my badminton rating a lot. However, my bank account and credit card rating won't look too good anymore... :eek: :( :eek:

18. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Lol, yeah, her. She even said her coach asked her to go and try-out for the Selangor try-outs! And no way and I a A+++ player, lol. :D

19. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

How do I tell though.....

Whether I'm in beginner, intermediate, or advance? Or in-between one of these levels?

20. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Im not sure about the standard in Malaysia, but the standard in the clubs i've been to is something along the lines of:

Beginner: has neither technique nor strategy conquered
    High Beginner has ok technique and shot placement, and rarely returns high to mid-court

Intermediate: has great technique and shot placement, but doesn't use much strategy. Element of deception is weak or lacking.
    High intermediate: has some strategy, such as suprising the opponent, wearing them out, etc.

Advanced: great technique and use of strategy: thinks one step ahead of each shot. Always knows which position to return to, etc. Great use of deception keeps opponent on their toes.

Elite: same as advanced but better all around.