Certain strings suit certain racquets better

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Cheung, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Do you believe in this?

What’s your experience?

Normally when we change racquets, we use our preferred string. The racquet might not feel good.

But what if that string was not suited to the racquet giving us a bad impression of the racquet. Would you think that’s a factor?

2. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Definitely! Different racquet charateristics change the power curve/output of a certain shot, and therefore the strings will feel differently during shots.

Take for example a drive with either a very stiff or flexible shaft, or a head light versus a head heavy racquet. Our swings will differ from these factors so the stringbed action at the point of contact must also change.

3. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

It probably does. Yonex provides string suggestions for some of their racquets based on whether you are a hard hitter or control player. e.g. NF1000Z, control players: Aerobit, hard hitters: EXB65

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Tho in simple, yes different racket fit different string, but i think its more on player fit than racket fit.
    Different racket had different characteristic & different string also had different characteristic.

Maybe other racket swing weight, weight, balance & other physical spec fit our preference but due to different material, frame shape, frame size, etc makes it feel abit off from our preference. So, we could adjust the string, be it the tension or different string to close the difference.

The obvious example is a brand new prestringed racket. Most of the time, the string sucks alot as its a cheap string with quite low tension & not to mention how long its been there which probably the string already died. Changing those racket string could makes the racket perform much alive.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I don't believe in this in general. Beeing a stringer (for consistency doubts) and tried out more than 25 different strings from various brands (Adidas, Apacs, Gosen, Li-Ning, Oliver, Victor, Ashaway and Yonex) I simply landed always after a short time at my go-to and what I was used to. Used in 8 different models from the Big 3 over the time.

I personally think that the choice of the racket (how demanding it is for the player) become with a hard feeling string, too high strung tension even more demanding and this leads to the conclusion that this combination don't work for a specific player with certain types of strings. Demanding+Demanding+ Demanding equals too demanding That every user of racket X should lean towards string Y is IMO not true. I think it really depends where the racket choice sits.

Most people I string for choose price and durability over performance and many people play rackets which tell me on their low request are too demanding for them in terms of stiff. So many tennis elbows, golfers elbows, shoulder issues...

On the other hand there are also players who string too high, so slightly lowering by 1-2 lbs would give them better performance, but they fear the tension loss and overclock. I see it that way: A bread fresh out the oven tastes best. Why should I take a peak performance in 4-5 weeks as reference? I cut my own rackets when they got 20-25 hours of play and I want a short break in period.

All in all I think there is a window from easy to use to very demanding for rackets and same for strings and also a personal window for tension from too low, right and too high which can be very personal. If people choose very demanding rackets, just a very few can handle an demanding string in combination with high tension, it will more likely that this will not work, but you can adjust three screws. The racket, the tension and the string.

A player who uses a very easy racket can go with some reserves more for demanding strings and higher tension. What's easy and demanding is very personal, also the choice of tension.

I always dislike every demo racket but not just because of the string or tension just because most grips where to thick for my liking and this influence the feel of the racket even to the same amount, maybe even more.

dnewguy and I3ugs like this.