Correct SHOE size

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by dnewguy, Apr 9, 2024.

1. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

IMG_20240409_153204.jpg

So when the shoe size says UK - 7 (25.5 cms)
    What length is under consideration here ?

I recently changed the insoles on my Yonex 65 Z3 wide (some brand on Amazon) .
    These are thicker than the standard power cushion+.

I'm experiencing pain behind medial malleolus of my right foot after the games.

My foot is 25 cms in length.
    What size should be appropriate for me ?
    When I got the standard Eclipsion Z2 (it was bit tight) took me couple of months to break them in and get comfortable.

The 65z3 WIDE gave my feet some extra room to move around which might be the reason for the pain ?

I would like to know what would happen if a person with standard feet wears the WIDE variant of a shoe ?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Could be anything. Even if you gave more detail in your description, it’s hard to give an answer for your pain. If it really bothers you, then you better change to a different insole and see if it makes a difference.

If you think it’s the shoe, you should try a different shoe, or see a podiatrist.

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    As Cheung says can be anything. I think that when the insoles are thicker, they are softer as well? If they are much thicker your feet is higher and more prone to ankle roll because your feet sit higher and are less good supported by the shoe. Also the insole can be supportive for other feet than yours and you are not neutral anymore. That this occur on your right foot could be related to lunging as a right hander. Also your hell could be not locked in place anymore due the extra added height.

For the length I recommend to measure your feet with socks and both. 0.5cm would be too tight. You are alot of the time in badminton on your forefoot when you jump, so a too short shoe can leed to bumpy the toes in the toebox. I personally a little bit less space than 1cm. So naked feet while standing and adding aroung 1cm is a good rule of thumb. But not to long.

Too wide shoes will always give you the feel that your feet swim at some areas in the funeral regardless how tight your laces are. Sliding can also be related to socks or the insole. It's also worth to try on different brands and their fitting to find the right shoe.

dnewguy likes this.
  4. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

That's why I was asking what length are they referring to with their shoe sizes ?

The foot length, insole length or the outsole?

I liked the booty design of the Eclipsion which can lock my heel securely.
    When I try the same with the conventional design of 65z3 then it's tough edges rub against my skin and forms blisters pretty quickly.

I tried the Eclipsion today.. no pain. Although the session was also less demanding.

Also tried my friend's Victor shoe (A series - size 8). The width was fine but it was a good 2.5cms ahead of my toes.

I will try again with different insoles and report. Currently it's pinching my toes together leading to callus formation in between.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I wear 28.0cm in Victor and measured the original insole at 28.0cm for you. :) What other brands do and how sizing is off I don't know. In Yonex and Asics I also wore 28.0 but Mizuno Wave series was ridiculous big at 28.0.

Could also related to socks. I have some Babolat socks which give me heel pain around the achilles tendon. When I wear other socks from e.g. Adidas which are thicker - no issues.

If the width on too large shoes was fine, maybe you have wide feet? What about going to a badminton shop and try on different brands? It mustn't be Yonex at all costs.

I awaited nothing else with a thicker insole. I play in custom orthopedic insoles. One of the best investments in my health I ever did. I had also some buy and try dilemma from amazon with horrible pain. What's the reason for the replacement and wouldn't be to buy the stocks from OG Brand the safest bet?

dnewguy likes this.
  6. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member