India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. 80plus

80plus Regular Member

Anmol lost to Sr. Tara @ R1 Bengaluru Nationals.[21-19,11-21,15-21, Tara was leading 11-18 in decider]
    Tanvi S(harma) narrowly escaped from Sr. Abilasha.

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Anmol need experience it seems. She feels the pressure now; Only way out is practicing hard to overcome her weakness

3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Yes, I watched both the matches. Anmol is now a shadow of herself as her weaknesses in the front court have been exposed. Her confidence is at an all time low and she is feeling the burden of expectations. She doesn't have enough time to raise her level before the Uber cup. She will face even more difficult opponents who will come hard at her. It may take her 1-2 years to work on her game. Until then she will face immense pressure from the media and she will face many losses.

I was happy to see Tanvi back on court. She was looking really rusty and needed 3 games to beat a qualifier. Tanvi needs a few tournaments to get back to full match fitness. She seems to have recovered from her injury but is not yet match fit. Tanvi lost in the R16 to Shrianshi Valishetty. Our Uber team is looking really weak now.

https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/tournament/6b538a23-f4c6-4beb-899a-bb2c83d8f12f/matches/20240411

Live Streaming: https://www.youtube.com/@KBALive-vc9do

4. Baddyforall

In my opinion, Devika Sihag and Anupama are making a mark both in domestic and international competitions. Devika is better than Anupama i think. Any inputs?

Simeon likes this.
  5. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Anupama has more experience on the circuit and is physically stronger. Devika is rising fast, needs experience will get better.

Baddyforall likes this.
  6. Baddyforall

With the way both Anmol and Tanvi are playing, our Uber cup group matches will be a laughing stock. I fear for the worse.

7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Yes, India is going to look like a very poor team. Selection trials would have helped the women's team. We have to wait patiently for the next Uber cup for a better performance.

8. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Devika Sihag wins the WS Bangalore Senior Ranking Tournament as Anupama Upadhaya retires with a right thigh strain.
    21-15, 4-1
    Isharani and Tanya chose to rest after the Kazakhstan IC. Unnati, Samiya also skipped this tournament.

Unnati plays her first tournament this year at the Luxembourg IC May 2-5,
    followed by Thailand S500 May 14-19, Samiya will also be playing here.
    I don't recall Unnati or Samiya making any SF or F at the S300 level. The competition is stiff in Indian WS and the desire to go ahead of your peers is there but rushing is never good for overall development.

It is a good practice if players choose to go to higher level tournaments in sequence instead of skipping levels. There are exceptions for
    supremely gifted players.
    For example IS>IC>S300>S500>S750>S1000. Once they go to SF or Final consistently they can look to the next level.
    This builds confidence and skill.
    Year 1 IS, IC
    Year 2 S300
    Year 3 S500, S750
    Year 4 S750 S1000

#5448 badmuse, Apr 13, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    Simeon likes this.
  9. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

No Super 100 ? Or do you feel they can skip one level from IC to 300 if their level is quite nice.

10. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Yes, they can skip S100 if they are able to consistently make SF and F in IC levels. They can also combine 5 S100 and 5 S300, each player will have a slightly different plan based on results and consistency. Some Asian IC tournament like INA IC, THA IC are on par S100 in terms of difficulty.

11. Baddyforall

It might sound good idea but our indian players are indians. They become too complacent when they start winning titles at lower levels. Take Satishkumar karunakaran for example. After he partnered with Aadya variyath, i felt he is taking too much risk considering his training base and almost no experience in XD category. But he won 5 international titles and 3 runner ups. But he started playing super 300 as he was less successfull in playing super 100. Even worse, he could not even reach second round . So, the level of super 300 is more for indian players unless they have high knowledgable coach to give you inputs. If you are starting from scratch and have some domestic coaches, you are not going to shine at all. So many examples are there in our system.

12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Yes, I agree it depends on the player and their results. There are exceptions like Saina, Sindhu examples of players who skipped levels and tasted success early. It's really to check if a player is one of the exceptions or if they need a lot of guidance and step by step climb. I said it because Samiya and Unnati were skipping the S300 level and jumping to S500 level.

When a player skips a level and struggles then it's back to training and the lower level again. Doubles definitely needs high level coaching which is only available at NCE Guwahati and Hyderabad Gopichand Academy.

13. Baddyforall

14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Ashwini failed to qualify in 2020 because of a poor partner Sikki. It was poor planning to join as partners in 2023 as they barely scraped through in the end. Ashwini had enough experience to know this. They would have been a much stronger pair if they had joined in 2020.

WS has been the lone Olympic medal warrior since 2012. The players who can handle pressure win medals and those who can't handle pressure falter. Doubles and MS are long overdue for medals. Even though this WD pair qualified they are not in the top 16, Ashwini/Tanisha are yet to show they have big match temperament. If they win a medal it would be a miracle.

I hope Tanisha plans better for the next Olympic cycle 2024-28. If she waits till 2026, 2027 to try a different partner she will blow her 2028 Olympic qualification when she will be in prime form at age 24.

Baddyforall likes this.
  15. Baddyforall

Realistically speaking, their current game cant win them a medal. Only MD and MS (outside chance) has some chances. WS, this time , though my mind says not possible , my heart tries to defend Sindhu and her big tournament game. 2 medals possible this time.

badmuse likes this.
  16. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

There was a time we weren’t able to think WD or for that matter any category except WS would bring a WC medal in 2011, we won bronze due to Jwala and Ashwini heroics. I remember they beat WR2 Taipei pair who used to be very uncomfortable in their backhand serve. Miracles have been done. If these girls win WD medal, that would be huge. I’m surprised by their confidence (in a good way) , them saying about winning a medal, I read that Ashwini said something like changing the colour of the medal in Olympics.

Cheung likes this.
  17. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

I would be extremely happy if they get a medal. Why did they skip the Uber cup? Ashwini mentioned the importance of playing matches to test their preparedness and work on areas. They get a good 3 months after the Uber cup to rest, train and prepare.

Baddie lover likes this.
  18. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    She will get more value playing in Indian senior tournaments rather than junior tournaments. That’s probably why you don’t see her in the U19 except perhaps national U19 championships (or local U19 with greater strategic significance).