Surplus Racquets ??

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by dnewguy, Apr 13, 2024.

1. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

I seldom borrow racquets from my friends.
    I have a long history of unknowingly damaging their equipment :eek:.

At the least, I will end up getting it restrung.

2. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

I used to keep a complete kit in my car.
    But I suspect that the extreme weather changes here played some role in cutting short it's lifespan.

So I went back to having just one kit.
    Added benefit is that whenever I pick that from home... Everyone assumes I will be out of reach for next 2-3 hrs and then I can head to the nearest bar with my boys...:p:p.

what07 likes this.
  3. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

I would like nothing more than to find THAT racquet. But so far I have only concluded that I can get better with a racquet if I'm willing to accept it's/my shortcomings & strengths and play strategically.
    Ofcourse, a much superior opponent would definitely outmaneuver me but I should know better to challenge him on the net with a difficult racquet..(imho)o_O

A funny realisation dawned on me during my journey:-
    When I'm playing good with head heavy, stiff racquets I imagine what damage I could do with a light / flexible equipment in my arms and vice-versa.. ?! :D:D

4. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Ya depending where u live, leaving the kit in the car and parking outdoors will significantly shorten the life of the strings especially and grip.

If the area is hot, then good luck to the glue coming off from the shaft and handle.

But definitely a good decoy. Sometimes the club players has a habit of after game event...so even we played more...we got fatter too! Hahaha.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

dnewguy likes this.
  5. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Not fair that u are trying the raket and the string break and u have to pay for it.

Unless the guys at ur club strings the racket at 28lbs+ using 0.62mm strings?

Or u simply have super bad timing, it may happen as the racket is new to you so swing speed will need to be zeroed? But most ppl will take it slow, will lob, drives, touch and clear then finally a few smashes.

So very unlikely u will break the strings, don't be discouraged to try. I will always let familiar licenced players to try. So far nobody breaks my strings.

And when using other ppl racket I don't scoop shuttles off the ground, don't take risk...so ppl knows u care for their stuff.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

So far i never harm any of my friend racket i borrow. At most im just snap the string & just pay for their string, but it just happen only once in my lifetime snapping borrowed racked. Also probably habbit that all of us had, taking the shuttle on the ground with racket, which many times scrapping the frame with the floor. I would never do that on friend racket.

dnewguy likes this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Different style but it’s up to you whether you feel it’s more difficult to keep pace with.

8. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

I would expect the same from a person borrowing my racquet. Ofcourse not if the string is already on it's way out.
    I take care and follow general safety rules but somehow I have broken about 6 frames and recently the wooden handle of a borrowed racquet.
    Most people here have their strings at or above 28lbs, bg 65 commonly.
    I borrow for a few days or longer if he/she agrees so I can be sure of my decision. I still remember when I first used my friend's VtZF2.. it felt great to smash but as soon as I bought it off him.. that connect was gone :(.

9. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Three of those racquets were lost in a clash with partner. Now I avoid teaming with people who run wild on court and don't listen to calls.

Sometimes it's a clash with a lefty who has inched too close towards my side.

Two were lost after it hit the floor (wooden). I'm assuming the high tension played it's role here.
    I keep mine at 26lbs mostly.

The handle snap was probably due to the wood going bad with the sweat. He had a single overgrip directly over wood.. the frame flew away at a smash with the base still in my hand.

Bieffe and Budi like this.
  10. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Seems like the problem here is the guilt part. Buying and trying new rackets is a hobby in itself. Just like buying comic books or wine or vinyl record. There's no need to feel guilty if you can afford it and you earn your own money.

Besides, rackets are pretty cheap compared to some other hobbies. When I look at my friends who are into cars, I can buy hundreds of rackets with what they spend on their cars in a year.

Fidget, DarthHowie, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  11. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Agreed.

The guilt is the biggest factor here.
    Now that you have mentioned I feel the same with comics, clothes, shoes etc :)

I have put them up for sale.. but no takers yet.
    So far I have kept my distance from flagship models due to fear of clashes and also because I don't consider myself as an advanced player.

But if I find that one ideal (doubles/singles) racquet I just might get a few.

#31 dnewguy, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024