21 rally-point scoring system: Is it really better to Attack?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chris-ccc, May 18, 2006.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    By comparison and in principle, the NSS is supposed to be relatively shorter than the OSS.

But I now discern a lengthening of the NSS matches with some recent ones going past an hour. If this trend continues and the players' skills have improved further so that they make less mistakes, I'm afraid NSS matches may last longer and longer. Hoperully, they will not cross the 2-hour barrier as with some OSS matches.

Whether the average time taken for NSS matches will converge with OSS matches is left to be seen! :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Old system
    Lower limit - 15 or 16 (if don't have serve at beginning) rallies; 11 or 12 for WS
    Upper limit - Infinity

New system
    Lower limit - 21 for all disciplines
    Upper limit - 59 if it goes all the way to 30-29

You mentioned you have seen some going past the hour (I presume you mean that the average ones would take much less time), but in the past, those would have gone to 1.5 or more hours, and also matches going past the hour are very normal in the old system. But now, matches going past the hour are surprising.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    My friend, you must be Mr Punch's publicity man! I'm sure he will be most happy to read such feedback. I certainly hope more will come to similar conclusions. ;)

4. franxon

franxon Regular Member

i understand it this way: we cannot lable a player as an attacking player because he plays more attacking shots than defending shots. just like we can not simply say MP99 is stiff. it's stiffer than MP66 but less stiff than MP100. it's all relative. if one plays more attacks than others, he is an attacking player, though most of his shots are not attacking shots but control shots.

that's why now there's a trend saying the top players all belong to one type: all-around, who can play all three types and use the right weapon at the right time.

there shouldn't be a drastic change of play style for the top players, in spite of a shift towards attack. however, they become more careful to avoid errors and fight harder to keep the score close now.

#44 franxon, May 25, 2006
    Last edited: May 25, 2006
  5. Player13

Player13 Regular Member

Thanks for the help guys... all the links have been very helpful ^^

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Philippines Open, Manila 24-28 May 2006

Hi hcyong,

Just mentioning the Singles Finals; Men's Singles & Ladies' Singles (both matches were just 2 games). If they were both running to 3 games, their matches would have stretched to about 1.5 hours.

Anyway, below this a report for my Club's members which I thought I will paste it here too.

======================================
    Hi CCC Members,

Just received the full results (All Finals) for the Philippines Open completed on Sunday 28-May-2006.

Men’s Singles: Hafiz Hashim (Mas) bt Roslin Hashim (Mas) 21-19, 21-7.

Women’s Singles: Saina Nehwal (Ind) bt Julia Wong (Mas) 21-15, 22-20.

Men’s Doubles: Alberto Susanto Njoto-Yohan Hadikusumo Wiratama (Hkg) bt Hendra Gunawan-Joko Riyadi (Ina) 19-21, 21-19, 21-18.

Women’s Doubles: Jo Novita-Gresya Poliic (Ina) bt Nur Sugianti Endang-Rani Mundiasti (Ina) 21-16, 21-13.

Mixed Doubles: Sudket Prapakamo-Saralee Thounbgthongkam (Tha) bt Kennevic Asuncion-Kennie Asuncion (Phi) 21-18, 21-16.

I am very happy for Sania Nehwal. I watched her played well at the Commonwealth Games just weeks ago. I told Saina and her Indonesian Coach that she will one day be a World Singles Champion. But I didn't think they believed me. Saina is only 16.

======================================

Cheers... chris@ccc

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well, I did not tell Saina that she will become a World Champ one day but I congratulated her on her fine performance during the MCG and look forward to more successes from her. But she certainly has the makings of a champion and if she continues with her good work, success will come sooner than later!

8. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    imo the 21 scoring system is generally shorter...so, if your attacking is good, i mean the snashing is good...and your fitness is consider okay, then attacking should be good for this.

But all in all, an attacking game should be more advantage, if only you are good at them..XD

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    But you need strokes to create and then set up for your attack. Attack is by itself useless; better to use attack for the coup-de-grace.

10. wimmua

wimmua New Member

15 pt and 21 pt are just 2 different displicines. It is like comparing 100 meter run to maraton.

100 m champions are not marathon champions.

I am still puzzled, why they (IBF) change it. We all know, this is not the way to popularise the badminton sport, nor the means to make it attractive.

Badminton sport can be popular in England, Denmark. We should study, why it is popular in these countries and then, implement them in less popular places.

We should try different approach to make badminton more popular.

1) try to make it fun and entertaining for all ages
    a) support badminton in kindergarten and school
    b) organise badminton matches in different ages group
    eg 35 -45 yrs old, 46-55 yrs old or different weight group 85-92 kg, 93-97kg, or combination of both !

2) bigger, better marketing
    a) more friendly exhibition matches
    b) gets endorsements from MEGA companies, eg Lee Chong Wei for Nike Promoter, or Lin Dan for Adidas
    c) approach mega movie stars ~ hkg or hollywood stars and directors to help marketing

3) get IBF to engage professional people (marketing, international organisation)

Certainly, there are many other ways to make badminton njoyable for all people.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

All-round players can still play well under the NSS?

Hi franxon,

So are you saying that an all-round player will still be able to do well under the NSS?

Somehow, at the present moment, I tend to agree with you. Why force yourself to attack if your attack is not good enough, or if your opponent's defense is good.

Cheers... chris@ccc

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Can someone who is watching the Indonesian Open report on this

Hello People watching the Indonesian Open,

Can someone who is watching the Indonesian Open report on this?

Please remember that we refer to Singles Only.

Are attacking-players more successful than control-players?

Cheers... chris@ccc

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Singapore Open 2006

Hi hcyong,

Are you in Singapore or in KL? Or should I ask, are you watching the Singapore Open 2006 at courtside?

I have asked Loh to report if there are any "great differences" between NSS(this year) and OSS(previous years) @Singapore Open's Singles Matches. But knowing Loh, he would be at the hall, watching 24-hour if he could and find no time to report.

Watching at courtside is very different from watching it on screen(when and if I can get it later).

Any report would be appreciated.

Cheers... chris@ccc

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ]I believe on the technical side, the world-class players will not only have to sharpen on their smashes, like adding more power and accuracy, but also to improve in other areas also, such as netplay and a solid defence. If a player can anticipate a powerful smash and use the same power inherent in that smash to return it away from his opponent, that reply will be devastating! So we should expect the overall technical skills to be honed still further.

After watching many rounds of MS in this SO, it confirms my belief that the attacking game will be standard strategy for the 21 pt rally system (NSS).

Typically, it will start with a low serve most times. The return will either be close to the net away from the server or a quick flick to the base. Then the two rivals will try their best to create opportunities to attack, mainly with good net play before they the finish off with a smash.

With the exception of the Ronald Susilo versus Nguyen Tien Minh match in R3, whereupon the traditional old-style, long rallies, point for point style was employed as both players were visibly tired, almost all other MS matches were quick, attacking play.

So, the player who has mastered the net and being to play to whatever net shots, especially the delicate cross court to completely change direction; and who possesses a very powerful and accurate smash, will very likely to win.

As regards the smash, so far in the tournament, Chen Hong and Bao Chulai stood out with their seemingly easy execution of the overhead smash. In an instant, just with merely flicking their wrist and without using much power, they can cause a lot of problem because of the speed and direction of the smash. Lin Dan would also fall into this category although he did not participate. :D

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Thank you Loh for the report: SO 2006

Thank you Loh,

Please report when you have watched the FINALS of the SO Singles too.

Cheers... chris@ccc

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Loh, did you notice any player who elected not to serve but instead chose to receive service after winning the toss?

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Chen Hong out in the NSS. What happened?

Hey Loh,

I just found that Chen Hong was beaten by Kenneth Jonassen via Singapoe Open 2006 Live Score Link. What happened???

Most people assumed that NSS would give a big, big advantage to Chen Hong, who is well known for his excellent attacking play.

Both Peter Gade and Bao Chulai are also considered as excellent attacking players. So I wasn't surprised when I found PG winning. But how did KJ beat CH?

Cheers... chris@ccc

18. jerby

jerby Regular Member

the lost art of not making mistakes?;)

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hey jerby,

Thank you last week, for the Friendly Soccer Match, Australia Vs The Netherlands, before The World Cup 2006.

Good Luck to The Netherlands.

Cheers... chris@ccc

20. jerby

jerby Regular Member

ehm,,,,I don't follow soccer that much...did we win?:D
    good luck to the Australia..shouldn't be too hard with such a good coach;)