Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

A New Racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by seanc6441, Jan 9, 2017.

1. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Hello guys! I am looking to purchase a new racket pretty soon as my previous (and only second ever) one I have had for 6-7 years and I feels it's time to upgrade. I was using a Carlton Aeroblade ISO FX as I bought it as a relatively inexperienced player so did not want to over spend open a racket and liked the feel of it anyway. But now I feel like it doesn't offer enough control or 'feel' and would like to move onto something a little more advanced.

My old racket has these specs on time of writing:

Weight--- 87g (Strung)
    Balance point--- 304mm (again strung)
    String--- Yonex BG-65TI (tension unknown but I THINK maybe 20-22Ib)
    Grip size--- G4 (measured with standard Yonex PU type grip on the racket. No Overgrip)

Since my racket is listed as Head Light, Flexible and weight 85-89g I do not want to make any major jumps to stiff/head heavy rackets or anything ultra heavy or light.

I'm thinking maybe medium or medium-stiff flex. Even balance? I play a pretty well rounded, doubles game. I'd like to keep the same weight class most likely too.

With this in mind, does anybody have any suggestions on which rackets I could start looking at? There's a place near me where I can both test and purchase rackets on the spot if I book courts for an hour. I just need some pointers and others experience as to which rackets I could start looking at as I have not played with barely any rackets other than my Carlton. I'm willing to try any popular brand the shop will probably stock Yonex, Carlton, Li-ning, Victor and maybe Wilson equipment but if you suggest anything I can always find out if it's stocked when I go browsing. :)

(Edit: Forgot to add the price range. Anything in the region of €60-140 will be acceptable.)

#1 seanc6441, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

I believe brother you are looking at get a midrange racquet, I only know about Yonex racquets in that range as I have never tried any other midrangers from the other brands. And for doubles you seem to be using a head light balance racquet as a preference, try these racquets - Nanoray 99 tour, Nanoray 03 tour, Nanoray 95dx, Duora77, Duora 88. If the tour series are not available try a Voltric 5 or 7 in 4u(83g) category, these are head heavy but not as much heavy and are really good to manoeuvre. Check out the and make up your mind out of these as to which one suits you the most. All these racquets are below €70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanc6441 likes this.
  3. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Thanks I will keep these Rackets in mind. I am currently using head light but would be interested to try out other balance too.

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  4. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

To increase control, I'd suggest something a little less flexible. If you're happy with Carlton, I think the Vapour Trail Tour should suit you, and falls in a good price category.

5. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

I was happy with the racket for many years as I was young and the flex helped generate a longer shot. Something less flexible (but not a completely stiff) would be perfect for a transition. However I never really got exposed to many other brands so I won't rule out any before trying them. The tour looks perfect in stats from what I've just read about it. It's at the higher end of my budget but if it feels right I may pick it up.

I've also been looking at a Voltric 5/7 even as the are slightly more towards the head heavy side they seem a good fit on other stats. I'll check out the Voltrics, the Vapour trail tour and Duora or Arcsaber series depending on what's available.

Thank you so much!

6. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

The Victor Bravesword 12 looks really tempting too. Although abit expensive!

7. SolsticeOfLight

You should be able to find it for around 90 euro.

8. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

The place I buy most of my badminton equipment has a larger online store with the Tour being priced at €129. I'm guessing it's the same in the walk in store but the owner always gives you discounts if he likes you :) so I can expect to pay maybe €110-115.

I could test it out locally but buy it online. Then get new string/grip at the local store when needed as a sign of good faith to the owner.

Could you recommend good online stores that are reputable?

9. SolsticeOfLight

10. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

You'd have to take a risk that you don't get counterfeit rackets when you browse google for buying badminton equipment. Also I'd have to calculate the delivery cost. But thanks for the racket suggestion I will try it out if I can :)

11. Vivek Bagadhi

Oh my god brother that is an insane price. Here in India the tour series retails for around ₹5000= €71. That is the maximum price for the highest end tour series. Well brother could please tell me what is the price of the Duora 10 and the victor jetspeed 12 , because these are the racquets i was going to suggest in the absence of the price bracket you have. Thank you

12. SolsticeOfLight

13. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

Carlton Powerblade Superlite Badminton Racket
    This is an incredibly good and unique racket, which is better than some high-end rackets. It is still possible to buy a new one for less than €30

14. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Wow I've just seen the Vapour trail tour for €65 on sportsdirect. That's incredible value! It's almost worth blind purchasing at that price...

15. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

I think I will just wait until I get to the courts to try out a few rackets before I worry about price. The feel of the racket comes first whether it's a 60 or 120 racket and after I find the right racket for me I'll check prices online before making a decision :)

16. Vivek Bagadhi

Surely brother do tell us about your purchase here we would be really happy about it

17. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Absolutely!

18. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

A bit off topic but I bought a pair of Yonex Aerus two weeks ago as my other court shoes just didn't fit how I'd like them. As soon as I put the Aerus on it was foot heaven :D

They are really perfect for longer, narrow feet and so so LIGHT!

19. Vivek Bagadhi

Good to hear that brother

20. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member