Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Advantages - if any, of using more then 1 over grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Sonic Smash, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Sonic Smash

Sonic Smash Regular Member

BA Mathematics Student
    Hey guys,

I was reading around and was intrigued by how many people used more then one overgrip. I just wondered why? Is it all down to comfortability, i have never tried more then one because i assumed the racket would feel the same to everyone with a single grip? Is it perhaps to make the end of the racket heavier? or for people with large hands?

thanks

Sid

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Warehouse dogsbody, Stringer, Panda reseller,
    Grips are never used explicitly to move a racket's balance; that will happen anyway.

An overgrip tends to lie in the 0.6 - 0.7mm region, while replacement grips can be anywhere from 1.6 to 2.0 mm. Thus, using two overgrips can give a size "between" replacement grips, and this is why it's done. I would estimate it takes three overgrips (@0.6 mm or so) to go up one complete Yonex grip size, so people with very precise requirements (like me) can fine tune it (but I'm happy with a 1.7 replacement grip right on the wood of a G5;)).