Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

advice needed

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by bombayhalwa, Feb 15, 2009.

1. bombayhalwa

bombayhalwa New Member

I am an intermediate player who plays 3-4 times a week, two hours per session, mostly doubles as sometimes matches can get quite competitive. I am more of a control type of player that values accuracy and fine touches but when an attack opportunity arises I always try to seize it producing more then adequate smashes. So far, I have played with yonex ti 5, yonex 900T, RSl ti 3200 as all of those rackets broke after enduring numerous clashes on court. It happened mostly because I play with different partners every time as the lack of synchrony could be considered the main reason for that. Currently, I am using SOTX TI 11(bought it cuz’ I wanted something head heavy and not that expensive) and nonetheless I like its stability and attacking power, I am way slower compared to when I used the RSL Ti 3200 that has been my favorite racket so far. I was equally good in the offense and defense departments when using it but unfortunately, I bought in the Philippines after a salesman recommended it. It is impossible to find this racket in Europe and I want to try something different. I plan to go back to the Philippines as I will buy another ti3200 but this won't happen in the next 4-5 months so, I need a good all round racket suitable for playing doubles until I go back there.

I read a lot of info on this forum and narrowed down my research to 3 rackets – SOTX woven 8, Karakal M-Tec 75 and Karakal M-Tec 80 tattoo. I read that the M-Tec 75 is a head heavy but I am afraid that head heavy rackets don’t benefit my game since my SOTX ti 11 has a bp of 310mm as both my defense and net play suffer a lot, and since I have difficulties executing quick wrist strokes.

My question is which of these 3 rackets will suit me best and which one will be closer to the RSL one. I am also curious to know what the bp of the M-Tec 75 is. I can buy the M-Tec 75 and 80 for around 50 euros each and the Woven 8 will cost me a bit more than 80 euros.

Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance;-))

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    The BP of all Karakal MTecs is 290-300mm - slightly head heavy. However, the MTec 75 and 80 are both very light at 75 and 80 grams respectively. This means your net/control play shouldn't be compromised by the slight head heaviness. As you're an intermediate, I am a little worried that you'll struggle to generate power. Chances are, you'll be fine but I'd recommend the MTec 80 tattoo to you. You'll get a fairly light, even to head heavy balanced racket that is probably the best looking racket on Earth.

3. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    The woven 8 ;) Good choice. Its stable enough to hit hard when you need it but quick enough to defend which is always needed for doubles. It's a great doubles racket at medium weight and imo a decent price for what you get.