Anyone interested in regular session in the west morning for intermediate and abv?

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by lobdropsmash, Jan 13, 2017.

?

Easiest place to get courts in the morning now is Jurong West Sports Hall, is it fine for you?

1. yes

2. no

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lobdropsmash

lobdropsmash New Member

Hi, am planning to set up a group for intermediates and abv. If you are one of the whose who would love to play in the west in the morning, show me some love and give me a shout out here okay.

Cheers

Ben

2. Feliz_tez

Feliz_tez New Member

G'day, I live at Bukit Batok and can play fairly on par with ex-Malaysian state players. Have you had any luck to gather some players?

3. lobdropsmash

lobdropsmash New Member

Hi Feliz, tbh you are the first here, I am still looking ard outside of badminton central to form a decent group, may have to lower down to high beginner onwards to find more players

4. Feliz_tez

Feliz_tez New Member

Thanks for your prompt reply, Ben. A pity that you would need to lower standard of play. Groups at advance level are hard to find on the web as they tend to cater for themselves privately - off-line. Cheers,

5. lobdropsmash

lobdropsmash New Member

haha, yes i feel you, thanks for the interests, will om u if i get more interests going

6. m.r.paradine

m.r.paradine New Member

I'd be interested. Jurong west a bit far for me. Clementi or bukit gambok is closest to me.

Im not sure what my standard would be classed at. Ive just moved here from UK where I would be classed as a strong league or low county standard player. I've been to a few “intermediate“ sessions I found on meet up, but whilst enjoyable i didn't find many competitive games, so I'm guessing I'm somewhere between high intermediate and advanced.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Intermediate social :)

Intermediate competitive is probably a better description for low county.

8. lobdropsmash

lobdropsmash New Member

hey paradine, weekdays morning in clementi is doable, tho i dont personally like the "breezy" part due to the design of the indoor hall.

haha, people get really creative here in sg to make things more competitive, like betting on drinks or money, but hey im not advocating it so dont quote me on this. lets get in touch, i will pm u directly.

9. hew128

hew128 Regular Member

Previously IT

Easier to match your level if you could advise your level of play since you played at a club in the UK via the Commonwealth grading system.

Most of the competitive games in SG are thru invites and alike.

#9 hew128, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  10. m.r.paradine

m.r.paradine New Member

Thanks for advice everyone.

I'm not aware of the Commonwealth grading system - tried googling it and couldn't find anything on it. Do you have any links for this?

The UK has a gradings system and rankings points system(https://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/...ctionTitle=Rankings+and+Gradings#.VmgxqbiLRD9). But you only get gradings/rankings points by playing the national competitions, not by playing in leagues.

When I play in the Leicestershire League (league table here: http://www.lbabadminton.org/tables.html) I'm a mid division 2 player.

If I was to play the national circuit (https://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/landingpage.asp?section=5448) I would play the bronze circuit and expect to win a few games but not win the tournament.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @m.r.paradine

I think you are wasting your time with most meetup groups.

You may need to be prepared to travel further to find the right group. Once you fit in, do ask for more information on any local competitions and matches. It takes time to get to know the badminton players. This is Asian style of introductions compared to UK.

One tactic you may try when you talk to Singaporeans is to say you have been surprised they are not as good as you might have thought. ;)

12. Andrew Robless

Andrew Robless New Member

My name is Andrew Robless (97287927) - I would like to join - Clementi or the areas close by Clementi would be preferable for me - let me know - thank you!

13. Summer!

Summer! New Member

Hi, I am interested. let me know when you set up the group in the morning.I am female player and not beginner. Whatsapp 91236090. Thank you.