Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Ashaway bird2

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by dbswansea, May 30, 2013.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Picked mine up this morning. Sports hall at work closed for the rest of the week. Argh.

Bought some mavis 300s recently and shredded them faster than feathers. Not impressed. Cant wait to try these new birdies.

2. skid101

skid101 Regular Member

Tried these on Saturday. Took a few games to get used to them but found them to be a decent shuttle. i normally use Mavis 2000. Main difference i would say is the bird2 need a little more effort. Net shots especially as they dont "bounce" off the string bed as other plastics do. I may not be the best person to review these as I would say I'm at low/intermediate level but as most of us that use plastics want something close to a feather I thought it might be a good idea to post up my findings. I still prefer the weight of the Mavis despite them weighing more than the bird2, they somehow feel lighter than the bird2. I think it has something to do with the dual skirt of the bird2. I actually had a little muscle ache in the shoulder from using them! Also a note on durability, They are nowhere near as durable as the Mavis 2000. I found the bird2 to be in worse condition visually but the tears don't seem to affect play as yet. The bird2 has had 2 hrs of play on it and I will use the same one for my next session to see how long it lasts. Will keep you posted.

3. Gordon Willis

Gordon Willis Regular Member

Net shots

Along with the steeper peak and drop parabola the performance of Bird2 on net shots is one of the most important features. You are correct that the two piece design facilitates the greater resistance to air through the skirt which is comparable with a feather. This means that, for the most part, particularly on net shots, it is slower through the air and rights more quickly. It is this aspect of regular nylon shuttles that means that they are dismissed by serious feather users as being 'uncontrollable' as they bounce up too high and allow a simple kill to the floor. It is this element of extra control with Bird2 that feather users are getting particularly excited about.
    Thanks for the feed back.

Gordon.

4. skid101

skid101 Regular Member

I must say Gordan, I quite like the feel of them at the net. I think it was more of a shock when you try to use the "usual" amount of effort at the net and you find the shuttle doesn't quite go over the net! Like I said, it took a few games to get used to this trait. It was fun doing punch clears and watching your oppponent leave the shuttle thinking it was going long!

5. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris New Member

Any idea if/when these will be available in France ?
    I'd love to try them out, but shipping from the UK makes the cost prohibitive.
    Still, as a Mavis 2k user, i'm very much looking forward to a better nylon shuttle.

- Hopes High ? Check
    - Fingers Crossed ? Check
    - Getting friends in on the hype ? Check
    Okay, bring it on ! :)

6. skid101

skid101 Regular Member

Done 2 sessions on these now and I would say these are better than mavis 2000's. Flight path is a fair bit more "feather like"than 2000's. More accurate on the slice too.

7. Ashaway1824

Ashaway1824 Regular Member

Hi Kaelhdris!

If you contact joneaugreg@yahoo.fr of sportfun (French Distributor of Bird2). He'll be able to assist you!

Thanks

8. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris New Member

Great News, thanks a lot !

9. Chofiey

Chofiey Regular Member

Wow. We really are in need a good substitute for feather shuttles. Any singaporeans here know where to get bird2 or others that are similar to feathers?

10. BadSID

BadSID Regular Member

Professional
    Hi Gordon, any plans to make Bird 2 available in India?

11. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Ordered 2 tubes of these to try out. Will post again when I have more information.

darrengsaw likes this.
  12. Gordon Willis

Gordon Willis Regular Member

India?

Nick Goode at Goode Sport has been talking to Indian distributors. Contact him at info@goode-sport.co.uk to get an update. Contact Nick if you are interested in retail or distribution, or know anyone who might be.

Gordon

13. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

14. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I wouldn't bother. A club I play at used them at the trial price for the juniors and they'd split within 30 minutes.

15. skid101

skid101 Regular Member

Bird2

I quite like them. Sure other plastics last longer but they don't play as well

16. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    See here is the problem for me. To pay feather money and get feather durability, just buy feathers.

17. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I'm never expecting them to replace feathers but for £8 it's worth trying a tube.
    The price of feathers are way too over priced now though.
    I've struggled to get reasonably priced feathers for our summer club.

18. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Reasonably priced feathers are a false economy anyway. One quill gold at one club I play at lasts less than one game at £10 a tube or pay £16 ish for gold champions that last 2-3 games on a good night.

19. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    The trial price is £8 for 6, that's still expensive for a plastic shuttle that breaks.

20. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I know what you mean but over the summer I usually buy cheaper shuttles and then revert to AS30 before the season starts. I've managed to pick up a few tubes of Carlton GT3 but they won't last long.