Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Asics Get Blade 2 vs shb-200 - best for knee

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by London_Player, Mar 20, 2010.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Hi everyone,

Recently I’ve have noticed that I have a slight pain on my left knee when playing, especially on a hard plastic floor. I have Yonex Shb-200 and play doubles only. I know that I don’t do enough warms up before the session as players are waiting to go on the courts and start the games, due time constraints.

I was wondering to change my shoe to Asics Gel blade 2, the latest model, as it has more cushioning than shb-200, which is supposed the best cushioned shoe in the Yonex range. Or the other option, is fit an insole, but which one for shb-200 and if it will make any difference.

I am in my early 40s know that age is getting me now, and have to cut down on sessions to max two per week.:(

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

How do you know the cushioning is better? I think you're probably better of with one of their volleyball shoes cushioning wise [​IMG]

Sensei comes to mind but those are quite expensive. Here the Gel Tactic is also recommended http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1340336&highlight=blade#post1340336
    Happened to see those yesterday in the asics outlet and for an asics they seemed quite wide as well :) (could also have been a large size making it seem so but as I wasn't looking for a shoe didn't inspect it closely)

#2 demolidor, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  3. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Which version of the SHB200 are you using which gives you the knee pain? If it is this version then you're very misinformed of it having the best cushioning in the Yonex range as it is this version which truly has the more cushioning. And if you're wondering, the JP version does have a very significant difference compared to the EX version.

I don't have much experience with the Asics Gel Blade 2 but it won't hurt to try it if doesn't cost much. As for replacing the insoles in your SHB200, you can try the Yonex AC191 Wave insoles which are much softer and more delicate than the stock models or any Asics gel insoles (I heard that the Asics insoles are more expensive although it may be different in your market).

4. London_Player

admin
    I think I got the normal non-JP version, which is sold in the UK. Shb-200 has wave like insoles, so not sure if it's already fitted in my shoe.

Thanks guys for your comments.

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

If you are stressing out your knee, check if your footwork is causing the problem.

I was one of the many players who adopted a very jerky footwork habits due to wanting to reach the shuttle faster. I found that as age catches up, that footwork falls apart and the bad knees it gave me since my teens started to act up. Started to attend classes that does a lot of footwork exercises and the knees are holding up much better.

Further there are knee strengthening exercises that can help and of course if it gets really bad, a trip to a sports doctor may be your only option.

6. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

In mid 40's myself and bought the gel blade 2 and very happy with them. So much easier on the old bones. Just had to replace insoles and put in superfeet blue which has helped even more. Very good shoe highly recommended by moi.:D

7. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    it may not be your shoes but more towards your footwork. If the tendon below your knee is the source of the pain, then you have jumpers knee which is very common among badminton players.

8. London_Player

admin
    I know my footwork is not that good, probably that's the reason. So I have to practice my steps with a coach, who is hard to find and expensive.

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Not as expensive as key hole surgery.......I know from experience!!!!