Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Badminton and Tennis - Scores Equivalence

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by GameGod, Aug 13, 2010.

1. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    I was thinking about what kind of scores in Badminton equate to certain scores in Tennis. For instance, what is the Badminton equivalent of a 6-3 win in Tennis? Or a 6-2 win? Post your thoughts here.

Eventually, I decided to go for a basic method using the percentage of points won for each player. I take it that for each game one wins in Tennis they win 4 points, while for each game you lose you win 2 points. I am aware that this is not fully the truth, but only an approximation, but it will do as a satisfactory average.

Let's start with the classic Tennis score to convert first: 6-0 (Bagel). What is 6-0 in Tennis in a Badminton game? Well, here's my working:

You: 6 games won * 4 points per game won = 24 points
    Opponent: 6 games lost * 2 points per game lost = 12 points
    Total: 24+12=36 points

Therefore, the percentage of points a player needs to win in order to Bagel the opponent is 24/36=67%. The equivalent score for Badminton is therefore:

21/x=67%
    0.67*x=21
    x=21/0.67
    x=31

Therefore, the opponent's score is 31-21=10, so the equivalent of 6-0 in tennis is 21-10 in Badminton. Perhaps, including intangibles, a Triple Bagel is more like 21-9, 21-9.

2. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    This is an interesting question. I have been thinking of a related question for a while now, and I think I can branch my solution to answer your question "correctly".

Currently, you are just assigning: 2*n points for win, n points for loss. This is completely arbitrary, and thus should not even count as an approximation.

I will redo my analysis for tennis and post a new thread in a few days with my solution and hopefully the answer to your question as well.

3. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Hey GameGod, I have posted my analysis at: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?88211. Please check to see if your question is answered in the tennis section.

As a small correction, in my above post, I meant to type "n+2 points for win, n points for loss" rather than "2*n points for win, n points for loss".

4. serviceover

serviceover Regular Member

Logistics
    Even if this post gets deleted.....

You people need to get out more !!!!!!!

5. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I'm skeptical. I think you see 21-10 (or 21-less than 10) more often in professional badminton matches than you see 6-0 in tennis matches.