Best players without a major

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by latecomer, Jan 12, 2013.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Does a list of best players without a major exist?

2. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Bao Chunlai, Chen Hong, Lee Hyun-il, Lee Chong Wei, Peter Gade

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

please add my name on it

4. phili

phili Regular Member

What do you consider major? Olympics? WC? SS? GPG? Any international title?

5. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    I am fairly new to the game of badminton, just recently converted from playing golf to badminton, I wish I had discovered badminton earlier, that why I do not have adequate knowledge to identify which events qualify as majors. In golf, there are 4 majors, the conversation of who are the best players never won a major comes up all the time, that why I am wondering is a list existed in badminton too. A major is I believe is every player desperate wanting to win. Like Tiger Wood, he does not care about other tournaments except the 4 majors. His season would consider a failure if he does not win anyone of those even finish in 2nd place. With badminton I can only think of 3, world championship, olympic and all england.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    In badminton there are 5 tournaments / year that have premier status on the tour. Korean Open, All-England, Indonesia Open, Denmark Open and China Open. These are the most prestigeous tournaments apart from Olympics and World Championships (both individual and Team WCs) that all players prioritize for the medal and pride.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I know that for the chinese players, and public alike, the team competition (uber, thomas and surdiman cups) are much more important then the all england or any other open. I would guess the same is true for malaysians and indonisians.

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yup.
    add my name too.
    since lindan/lee chongwei yet to beat both of us.;)

9. dieter_spath

dieter_spath Regular Member

Traditionally, All England is more important than the other four. At least for CHN players, they pay more attention on All England. Korean Open and Indonesia Open are less important for them. They dont even want to participate Korean Open because it is very close to chinese new year and normally and they will go to trainning camp during that period of time. Indonesia Open is held just before WC and OG, they will try to avoid getting injured during the tournaments. But for All England, it's treated as like WC.

10. kateean2

kateean2 Regular Member

teacher
    You just saved me the trouble of reposting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Titles (majors) to win IF you want to be reagrded as a "hero" IN MY BOOKS :D :

1) THOMAS / UBER CUP (if you are Malaysian, Indonesian, Korean or Chinese badminton fans)
    2) Olympics GOLD (silver, etc don't count !!)
    3) All-England
    4) World Championship

Everything is else is just for the "pocket money" ... something LCW is very good at .... :D

Like Lionel Messi, he can win 100 BALLONS, 100 La Ligas, etc ... NO WORLD CUP, he is a "dud" when compared to Pele, Maradona, Mueller ... !!! :D

12. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

then it seems like the hero in your books is very lonely indeed........

13. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Majors are the ones no players want to miss, for example, this year Korean do not count because Lin dan was no where to be found.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I believe there is only one name in YOUR BOOK - Lin Dan. And it will be for at least a decade more. :)

I'm with you more or less. Except that I won't be so harsh on Messi - how is he going to win the World Cup when he has to depend on the other 10 teammates to perform together as well?:D

15. event

event Regular Member

It is perhaps wise to remove Korean badminton fans (a category that barely exists) from the TUC list. The Uber Cup win was not even televised in Korea and no one in the mainstream knew or cared. If you focus on certain countries at all - i.e. exclude Europe - then are there not other countries, apart from Korea, who put the Asian Games ahead of the Worlds?
    I think this underlines what others were saying about the All England. It was the only tournament with every single strong player even before the BWF started fining top 10 players for missing it, the other SSP events, and the SSF. What we started seeing, beginning with the Indonesia Open 2012, was top players risking the fines to skip SSP events. The Worlds have never really been snubbed and nor has the All England.

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the fact is you can't make it a major just by adding 'Premier' in the name!

17. dohdoh

dohdoh Regular Member

I would think that the list goes:

1. Olympics
    2. Asian games (Asia only)
    2. World Championships
    3. All England
    4. Thomas/Uber/Sudirman Cup (Unless you are Chinese, this would be 3.)

Perhaps for Europeans the European title may go in 3 or 4.

I would consider the Olympics/Asian Games/World Championships to be the "MAJOR" titles. All England is simply a special super series event in my opinion. "All England" champion just doesn't have the same feel as "World Champion".

As far as players go.. Lee Chong Wei, Jung Jae Sung, Carsten Mogensen.. can't think of any more at the moment. Only players who haven't won the Olympics/AG/WC and have been of World #1 quality for an extended period of time should make it to the list.

18. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I know who my choice would be for the best female player never to have won an Olympic gold medal - Ra Kyung Min of Korea.

I think she was just 19 when she played in her Olympics as a favourite for the gold playing with Park Joo Bong. She lost in the final to her eventual partner, Kim Dong Moon, with whom she went on to win everything else, but not the Olympics.

In the run up to her final try (Athens?), she and KDM were undefeated for over 2 years, and had beaten Gao Ling and Zhang Jun in 8 consecutive finals.

She wanted it so badly, it was tragic to see her finally retire without one.

19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

If the thread starter wants to go way back, then all the badminton greats before 1977 WC would be without majors. WC started in 1977, badminton is an OG sport from 1992 onwards.

For currents players, the majors :
    1) Olympics
    2) World Championship
    3) All England(it was the major before WC & OG came along)
    4 ) Asian Games individual title(for Asian players). AG team event is not regarded as prestigious since there's already TC/Uber

Team events : Thomas Cup, Uber Cup, Sudirman Cup.

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    nah,badminton have no major before 1992
    so all those badminton player are lousy.hahahhahahah