Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

bombs shake hyderabad, india

Discussion in 'India Open / Japan Open / Chinese Taipei Open / Ma' started by taufik-ist, Aug 26, 2007.

  1. taufik-ist

    taufik-ist Regular Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    Messages:
    5,702
    Likes Received:
    5
    Occupation:
    it administrator
    Location:
    indonesia
    OMG..

    i just read in newspaper

    yesterday several bombs shaked city park and foudcourt centre,hyderabad. 43 victims were reported dead..

    KRISNA... your 'worry' about safety in hyderabad comes true:(
     
    #1 taufik-ist, Aug 26, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  2. Krisna

    Krisna Regular Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
    Messages:
    5,893
    Likes Received:
    7
    Occupation:
    General Management
    Location:
    Indonesia
    Unfortunately yes... I was told by my Indian friend around a month ago that in his opinion, Hyderabad is a target city for terrorists. I don't know how true this is... until yesterday. :(
     
  3. Darien

    Darien Regular Member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2007
    Messages:
    270
    Likes Received:
    1
    Occupation:
    IT
    Location:
    Penang
    i dont encourage the players to take the guts to play in India Open as now the place is in high jeopardy...
     
  4. CLELY

    CLELY Regular Member

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2006
    Messages:
    10,489
    Likes Received:
    437
    Location:
    Jkt-Indo
    The Hyderabad's blast questioning about safety aspect, seems the incident was serious, probably the tourney will be cancelled?!
     
  5. spchu

    spchu Regular Member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2006
    Messages:
    1,235
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Malaysia
    then it would be very bad for the world of badminton if terrorist manage to disrupt this tournament.

    Will never get what this terrorism act achieve in the end but innocent lives lost.
     
  6. taufik-ist

    taufik-ist Regular Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    Messages:
    5,702
    Likes Received:
    5
    Occupation:
    it administrator
    Location:
    indonesia
    the 'show' must go on..

    to prove a teror can't stop badminton :)
     
  7. hyu =)

    hyu =) Regular Member

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2005
    Messages:
    76
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Singapore
    Malaysia’s trip to India in jeopardy

    PETALING JAYA: The participation of the Malaysian badminton team in the India Open now hangs in the balance following bomb blasts in Hyderabad on Saturday.

    There were three blasts at Hyderabad that left more than 30 people dead. The incident had been linked to terrorism.

    The India Open, which is offering its highest-ever prize money of US$150,000, is scheduled for Sept 4-9 and it is one of the tournaments that offers Olympic qualifying points.

    The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) secretaryP. Ganga Rao said yesterday that they would make a decision on the team's participation this week.

    “The bomb blasts were very close to the badminton venue (Kotla Vijaya Bhaskar Reddy Indoor Stadium). We will have to look into the players' safety. We (the BAM) will discuss the matter with the NSC (National Sports Council) before we come to s decision,” he said.

    National number one Lee Chong Wei is the top seed and the other Malaysian entries in the men's singles include Mohd Hafiz Hashim and veteran Wong Choong Hann.

    The tournament has also drawn the participation of China's Bao Chunlai and Chen Yu and Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat.

    In the men's doubles, Malaysia have three national pairs among the entries – Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif, Chan Chong Ming-Hoon Thien How and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui.

    Among the top pairs in the fray are the Indonesian-American combination of Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan, South Koreans Jung Jae-sung-Lee Yong-dae and Lee Jae-jin-Hwang Ji-man and China's Xie Zhongbo-Guo Zhengdong.

    If Malaysia opt out of the tournament, the next assignment for the national shuttlers will be the Japan Open, which is the seventh leg of the Super Series, scheduled for Sept 11-16 in Tokyo.
     
  8. hyu =)

    hyu =) Regular Member

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2005
    Messages:
    76
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Singapore
    I agree with darien actually. I think that the safety of the players should come first. i'm kind of hoping that the malaysia team will cancel their trip. The bomb blast is super scary. And as the report said, it happened very close to the venue of india open.

    Thank goodness india open was not scheduled for last week.
     
  9. Ai Mei

    Ai Mei Regular Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2006
    Messages:
    388
    Likes Received:
    0
    Occupation:
    Student in a High School
    Location:
    Surabaya,Indonesia
    OMG
    China's Bao Chunlai???????????
    OMG Bao, he must be careful
    why dont they held this event in another city?????
     
  10. samuel882

    samuel882 Regular Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    Messages:
    7,837
    Likes Received:
    5
    Occupation:
    Tour Leader
    Location:
    Planet of Lords
    Haha.. Y only Bao.. Chinese did send more than him togo.. Anyway, don't worried.. Seems like this opens will be cancelled :cool:
     
  11. Krisna

    Krisna Regular Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
    Messages:
    5,893
    Likes Received:
    7
    Occupation:
    General Management
    Location:
    Indonesia
    Argh... yes, most likely the tournament will be cancelled. There goes our ranking points....
     
  12. jasonmarc

    jasonmarc Regular Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2005
    Messages:
    10,384
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    MALAYSIA
    yes better not go....its dangerous and scary:eek:....they might try to bom the coming INdia Open as well...remember....one of their great badminton player also kill by gun shot...years ago...if i m not mistaken..:(....dont go...focus on Japan Open instead..
     
  13. taufik-ist

    taufik-ist Regular Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    Messages:
    5,702
    Likes Received:
    5
    Occupation:
    it administrator
    Location:
    indonesia
    TH must cancel his revenge on anup :)
     
  14. Darien

    Darien Regular Member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2007
    Messages:
    270
    Likes Received:
    1
    Occupation:
    IT
    Location:
    Penang
    wow....who was that badminton player? was he great and successful?
    can't believe that India is one of the terrorist targets as well.
     
  15. jasonmarc

    jasonmarc Regular Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2005
    Messages:
    10,384
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    MALAYSIA
    so do it in JO Super Series....no need to be hurry...:D...and no need to risk ur self to do it...:rolleyes:..safety comes first..;)....think of ur newly born daughter...ok TH...:p
     
  16. jasonmarc

    jasonmarc Regular Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2005
    Messages:
    10,384
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    MALAYSIA
    I cant remember his name...but he was in the batch after Prakash Padukon and before C Pullela ....may this bom attack is a warning ....who knows...:rolleyes:
     
  17. Oldhand

    Oldhand Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2005
    Messages:
    7,445
    Likes Received:
    120
    Occupation:
    Broadcast Systems Integration
    Location:
    Asia
    The badminton player shot dead was Syed Modi.
    That was in the 1980s.
    It had nothing to do with either sport or terrorism.
    It was about a woman and jealousy.

    As for 'fears', please note:
    Never has a sporting event in India been targeted by terrorists.
    Please show more maturity when posting responses.
    Alarmist and churlish comments do not help.

    I do not think Indonesia or Malaysia has a lesser crime ratio than India.
    That does not mean serious crime is a regular part of daily life in any of these countries.
    It's unlikely that the Indian Open will be cancelled because of the blasts in Hyderabad.
    if so, the Indonesian Open would have been closed for ever after the catastrophic Bali massacre.
     
  18. Oldhand

    Oldhand Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2005
    Messages:
    7,445
    Likes Received:
    120
    Occupation:
    Broadcast Systems Integration
    Location:
    Asia
  19. Krisna

    Krisna Regular Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
    Messages:
    5,893
    Likes Received:
    7
    Occupation:
    General Management
    Location:
    Indonesia
    These bombs were obviously not petty crime. Obviously these were works of organized terrorists... :( The terrorists were not aiming at the sporting event itself, otherwise they would have done it next week at the Indian Open. Throughout history, the violence in India were comparable to any other nations. Remember how many Gandhis were assasinated? If people are alarmed by bombing incidents, that's very human. Nothing immature about that.

    I think it is very likely that the Indian Open will be cancelled [next week]. It might be moved to another week or not played at all [this year]. It won't mean that the Indian Open will never be played ever again. I observed that nobody in BadmintonCentral ever said that.

    After the terrorist fears subside, then life can move on. Even England who was a victim of terror attacks could still have their All England. Indonesia had tons of scary bombs in Jakarta and Bali in the past 5 years. Sure the tourists and visitors didn't think Indonesia was a safe place back then. Many trips, meetings, and events were cancelled. I could understand that. Just like most of us won't think Hyderabad is a safe place now. But after a while, life could return to normal.

    For now, the fears are unavoidable and not baseless...
     
    #19 Krisna, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  20. pjswift

    pjswift Regular Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Messages:
    3,457
    Likes Received:
    85
    Location:
    singapore
    Actually I don't understand why MAS would want to send LCW (and WCH) to a GP Gold tournament preceding an SS. If they go all the way to the finals of the Indian Open, it means they will not be as fresh as their top opponents for JO07 so they can write off this SS title opportunity.Is BAM showing a lack of confidence in its top MS's ability to win an SS? Does BAM think LCW and WCH have a higher chance of winning a title when only half of the top MS participates? Shouldn't a SS title be more worthy than a GP Gold even though it's tougher? Or is BAM going back to the old thinking of chasing ranking points by maximising tournament participation and burning out its players? Shouldn't it limit LCW and WCH's action to SS (and follow-on GP Gold if they don't do well in preceding SS) so they can focus on winning titles instead of collecting ranking points?
    Past results indicate , unlike CHN MS, there's no advantage to MAS in fielding by numbers so it makes sense for MAS to limit their top 2 MS to SS tournaments.
     

Share This Page