Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Boonsak getsBt1 million

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by kwun, Aug 25, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boonsak getsBt1 million [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica] Published on Aug 26, 2004 - TheNation [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica] [Athens Games] Although Boonsak Polsana, Thailand's first Olympic badminton semi-finalist, failed to win any medals in Athens, he still received Bt1 million from the Siam Cement Company.[/font] [font=arial, helvetica]Kan Trakulhun, the vice-president of Siam Cement, said after presenting the cheque that Boonsak wrote a new chapter in the history of the Thai badminton team, despite not winning a medal. It was the greatest achievement in the badminton team's history. As a result of his effort in Athens, the company decided to give the local ace Bt1 million.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]"We previously announced awards of Bt5 million, Bt3 million and Bt1 million for gold, silver and bronze medals respectively," he said. "However, a disappointed Boonsak made as great effort in the bronze medal match, although he went down to the Indonesian. So we decided to give him money to encourage his brilliant work."[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Apart from Boonsak, other seven badminton players who took part in the Olympic Games and three coaches also took home five baht of gold each worth about Bt39,500 each.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Boonsak almost won an historical Olympic medal for the Thai badminton team, however he performed below his best in the semi-final, going down to an Indonesian and missing out n the bronze. He finished fourth in the men's singles. [/font]

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    24,000 USD. I wonder if Kan Trakulhun is a badminton fan.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Siam Cement Company is a major sponsor of sports even. If i'm not mistaken , they were the ones that is the major sponsor of Thailand Open.

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Nice for Boonsak! :)

And yes, Siam Cement is the major sponsor of Thailand Open, I don't know whether their vice-president is a badminton fan but he seems to be a minimum involved in the game...

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Nice for Him to give it to him even though he didnt reach what they stipulated before.

Good sponsorship for Siam cement too, next time I go to Thailand, I will buy some!!