Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

BWF CALENDAR 2018

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Jul 21, 2017.

1. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

I must say i am not very pleased that Singapore Open is scheduled behind 2 Super Series Premier + 1 Super Series.

I can foresee most players skipping Thailand and Singapore Open to prepare for the World Championships.

2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Are the dates final, or can they still change?

3. Master

Master Regular Member

Usually when the schedule appeared in BWF website, it remain the same. The changes about cancellation. But within a few months ahead if any host have another reason to change their schedule, they could readjust and inform their consideration to BWF.

I would say that list is final, unless there is some urgent reason to change by request.

4. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I am waiting till the year when BWF will make all of the calender to fit in 'a week a tournament' calender,
    when Thomas&Uber Cup/Sudirman Cup will have its appropriate break before it is held (2 weeks or 1 week for the lower level tournaments),
    when the same goes for WBC (about 2 weeks break),
    and also an appropriate break at the aftermath of those events till the nearest SS to let players recuperate back to their fit level (2 weeks for GP level and 3 weeks for SS level).

That's when we kinda can say that badminton really has planted its 'popularity' within the entertainment/sporting world.

5. Master

Master Regular Member

BWF using tournament tour package by region. Flying to one region, joining the tournament there as tour package containing several tournaments. When the tour over, comeback home. Take a break within weeks for preparing another tour.

The breaks after is consume a lot of money for the team back home and depart again after.
    e.g JPN team when joining tournament in Malaysia and Indonesia (this way inside Asia). How about European team?

You can hope like that if BWF are fully professional association within professional players inside.

6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I understand that completely of logistical and financial issue between the associations.

In fact, I have made my own version of calender for next year event taking consideration on breaks between tour at different regions while keeping the spirit of 'a tournament a week'
    with understandable break also nearby BWF events (T&U, WBC), as well as the considering breaks for different level of tournaments (SS / GP). The worst part of this calender is the timing of the American GPs, which is after WBC. But I couldn't find another spot to place them into. I also take into account the regional tournaments (i.e. Asian Games and T&U qualification, aka continental team championships)
    which actually has different number of days and make a reasonable placing in the schedule fow these events.
    The big difference that I make and also the flaws in this schedule is the continental individual championship that is
    held after WBC to go parallel with Asian Games (thus having no Asian individual championship, 'replaced' by Asian Games).

If you would like to see, it is as follows. You can also see the different regions having different colors.

upload_2017-9-23_10-32-46.png
    upload_2017-9-23_10-34-11.png
    upload_2017-9-23_10-35-27.png

Attached Files:

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I dont understand From AllEngland to SingaporeOpen is 10 weeks break from Superseries? and then, they put 4 straight SS?

3 is fine but 4 straight SS will make players gotta choose. If its me, I want all top players play at all SS.

They should split the Indonesia Malaysia Singapore and Thailand. Its better (Indonesia and Singapore), (Malaysia and Thailand After the WorldChampionship) because how can a SSPlatinum happened after SS and SSP? You cant really ask players to skip SSP because SSP is also important. This is one of the biggest mistake so far imo? You can feel the exclusivity of AllEngland but not Indonesia/ChinaOpen.

Rather than gifting China,Indonesia and Malaysia another SS and knock Australia out, why not remain Australia , add Taipei/Russia/German to Superseries. imo, BWF needs money but two countries in a calendar year is just like Formula1 driving the same circuit twice in a season. Of course this can be rectified at future date.

Then again, if the YearEnd SSFinals is in 1 of those 3 countries , i wouldnt mind if the above have been rectified.

8. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

A country can have 2 eligible f1 racetracks though.

9. Master

Master Regular Member

You should know about bidding process behind all these decisions. And some requirement criterias about venue and their facilities supplied are also so important while the countries joining the bid process. You should asking why Germany, Russia, and/or other European countries didn't joined the bidding process for higher tournament level than just Level 5?

Some news regarding Australia isn't a part of Superseries anymore:

Superseries Era Wraps Up for Sydney and world

2018 will mark a new era for the Australian Badminton Open. After the upcoming tournament our productive 7-year relationship with Destination NSW (DNSW) reaches a conclusion as they attend to their responsibilities to focus on a diverse range of other sporting events in NSW. This is a great opportunity to thank them for their positive, enthusiastic and creative support dating back to the early days of the event before we became a marquee feature of the Superseries program. As a strategic investor, DNSW has contributed significantly to the profile of our sport both nationally and internationally.

This period of change has also provided an opportunity for us to bid for a Level 5 World Tour event in the BWF's new tournament structure for the 2018-2021 cycle - which we have been awarded! It's an exciting development, so stay tuned for further updates on our Facebook and Twitter accounts.

http://australianbadmintonopen.com.au/news/168-superseries-era-wraps-up-for-sydney-and-world

10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

any news on when BWF will announce the name of the the new tournaments' levels?
    do you think they will stick to the name Super Series (Premier) and Grand Prix (Gold)?

11. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Level 1 (Major Tournaments ) : Olympics,World Championships
    Level 2 (PoP): AE, INA, CHN
    Level 3 (SSP): MAS, JPN, DEN, FRA, CHN
    Level 4 (SS): MAS, INA, IND, THA, SGP, KOR, HK
    Level 5 (GPG): THA, SUI, ESP, GER, NZL, AUS, USA, TPE, MAC, IND, KOR
    Level 6 (GP): FRA, CHN, CAN, JPN, RUS, VIE, IND, INA, NED, GER, SCO

12. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Fox, the level 1 is very wrong

There Level 1 is only the SS Final.
    All other major tournaments are considered as Grade 1, while all of these SS/GP are Grade 2 only

Grade 1: SC, TUC, WBC etc
    Grade 2 Level 1 : SSF
    Grade 2 Level 2 : etc etc

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I think only you are right.

So, all kisses to you.

stanleyfm likes this.
  14. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    India gets both GPG and GP? Cool, a pity though that France and JPN are SSP while IND only gets a SS. I suppose it's about prize money offered, so yeah fair enough.

Are the names finalized? POP? and rest the same?

15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

BWF was supposed to come up with special name branding but so far it is just Grade 1 and Grade 2 (level 1-6). These sound like school exams or piano exams! Imagine saying, "Congratulations Srikanth you have won Grade 2 level 2 Indonesia Open 2018!" I hope they come up with something! :)

nilesh123 likes this.
  16. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

nope, that's just his name. PoP : premier of premier (I guess)
    I will give the name to be Super Series Elite (SSE) for the level 2 and having 3 level of SS besides the Final.

Or other option is
    Level 1 : Super Series Final
    Level 2 : Super Series Premier
    Level 3 : Super Series
    Level 4 : The Series
    Level 5 : Grand Prix Gold
    Level 6 : Grand Prix

The advantage of only implementing 2 level of Super Series is that it is suitable with such tournaments that top 10 players MOST PROBABLY WILL ALWAYS PARTICIPATE.
    Thus, the calculation of the 'Destination Dubai' will be vaild. We do not need to calculate points from 'the Series' tournaments.

The name of 'The Series' will also compensate with the local organizer that these tournaments are not degraded into such Grand Prix Level.
    Imagine what BWF will say to the organizer if the tournaments are set at the same level, only some of the others are promoted, but actually the name of the tour already changed into Grand Prix.

#56 stanleyfm, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  17. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

There is one more thing that I think BWF should implement,

that at the gala dinner just before the SSF held, they also give award to them who won the most SS title in each event in that year,
    and maybe (only maybe) also give award to countries which obtained most SS title in the year (most probably China will always win though).

This may give more emphasis and meaning to the calender season for the players and for the confederations,
    which at the moment are only used to maintain rankings and preparing for large events such as TUC,SC, WC and OG.
    Does not really look like a calender year season thingy for me.
    The SSF itself will only be like an elite playground, where they just come for the gala, play their normal games without heavy burden,
    and entertain the audience. Like an after party of the Gala while the Gala is the party.

Well, some players can also try to win the SSF, if he wants to get the Grand Slam in the year, by winning all SSP and Final.
    I will consider the Super Grand Slam as winning all the Super Series, SSP and Final in that year (but this will be very rare).

#57 stanleyfm, Sep 29, 2017
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Disappointing nomenclature by BWF, the new tournament structure is worse than the old, doesn't do justice to nor befitting the tournament level as it fails to reflect its strength and worth.

Just calling them Grade 1 or 2 and Level 1,2,3,4,5,6 is simply using generic terms, nothing special. For better promotion of the professionalism of the sport and its marketing (from the sponsors' point of view), we need something more distinguishing to define each tournament's uniqueness and special appeal. It's like branding where you want to stand out from the rest which I believe all tournament organizers and sponsors will greatly appreciate and want to identify with.

#58 Justin L, Sep 29, 2017
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    the new branding will be revealed sometime in january.

20. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

That is far too late.......
    Do yo have source anyway?