Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

BWF to tighten Thomas Cup, Uber Cup rules, change format

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Loh, Dec 24, 2008.

  1. Loh

    Loh Regular Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2002
    Messages:
    14,839
    Likes Received:
    336
    Occupation:
    Stock Broker
    Location:
    Singapore Also Can
    Sorry my Search Function is not working as I wanted to find out whether the following article on Thomas/Uber Cups rule changes have been posted:


    channelnewsasia.com

    21 December 2008 1729 hrs (SST)
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/397780/1/.html

    KUALA LUMPUR : The Badminton World Federation (BWF) said on Sunday it would tighten rules and change the format of the Thomas and Uber Cup finals to prevent teams from trying to determine who their opponents will be.

    "From the 2010 Thomas Cup, only the top two teams from each group will make it to the next stage," BWF's chairman of events Paisan Rangsikitpho told state news agency Bernama.

    "A draw would be fairer to all and no one will have an idea of who awaits them in the second round," he said.

    He told Bernama the Thomas Cup finals this year saw South Korea field a weakened team in its first round matches and lose 1-4 to England and Malaysia in order to avoid a second round meeting with a strong Chinese team that could have knocked them out of the tournament.

    Paisan said the ploy worked as the Koreans then faced Denmark in the quarter-finals, Indonesia in the semi-finals and made it to the finals before losing to China.

    He told Bernama that the teams who top their respective groups will be given a higher seeding for the second round, regardless of their world standings.

    Paisan also said India would still host next year's World Championship, despite the Mumbai attacks last month.

    "The security of the players is very important and if there are any fears,we will look into alternative venues but as of today, India are still the host," he said. - AFP/ms
     
  2. limsy

    limsy Regular Member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Messages:
    22,220
    Likes Received:
    4
    Occupation:
    kuli
    Location:
    malaysia
    well...finally...they did awake...
     
  3. ctjcad

    ctjcad Regular Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2004
    Messages:
    19,138
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    u.s.a.
    #3 ctjcad, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008

Share This Page