Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Calling foul serve in un-umpired game

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by chezzie, Dec 13, 2016.

1. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

its a very annoying topic imho
    because people like me are practising that stuff and also practice to make the best possible serve inside the legal frame
    I could improve my services vastly if i ignore the rules and play them too high for example

so I do put effort into this and then some people just dont care, are blind, ignorant or whatever and do illegal serves - if I tell them, oftentimes I would be the bad guy suddenly - annoying!
    I told it a female friend and clubmember who was serving literally at neckheight. I told her after the game, in all friendshipness to avoid future trouble for her. She couldnt believe what I am talking about lol. She just ignored my well-meant information. Unbelievable :confused:

So mostly I will shut up and accept those failures, as was already mentioned here, usually these people have big flaws anyway and bad services despite doing them illegally.

In important matches however I will very kindly ask them to watch their services because they are illegal. Wont change much though.

I also hate it because when I see illegal servers, my concentration goes into observing that instead of watching the shuttle and thinking of what i should do...o_O

ucantseeme likes this.
  2. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Dave im referring about the level of play we are talking about. Personally i think the level we are talking about... getting the rally started is about all the matters for the serve. It hardly sounds like anything resembling county/regional/national level play. In a regional match ... you CAN call for an umpire.

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Even in the group tournament where I become an umpire, the serve foul is still met with a stare. many people are just not used for their illegal serves to be faulted

dave010 likes this.
  4. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    well you see in the super series how badly professionals take the calls. It should be mentioned at grass routes levels that's for sure... but i was merely stating that we shouldn't be making a big deal out of it during beginner/intermediate level play. As there are other parts of badminton focus on, but yes we should be educating each other to help people serve within the rules of the game.

Cheung likes this.
  5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I got told after a low level match that our guys were foul serving. Not sure what to do on the return leg. Call a lot of lets I suppose? Ask my guys to adjust? Our team say the serves are legit. I wasn't watching closely enough as they were not called at the time.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agree before the match between the two teams what is legitamate and be very sure with a copy of the rules at hand.

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

IMO we do sports and sports have rules. We are all grown up and no children anymore who play with the family monopoly.

Regardless which level, you would never call a slightly out shuttle as in when you are so off balance and the ability to hit it right into the court of your opponent is missing? Just a tiny tiny bit beside the tram line. Would you call it IN when it is OUT? You are just playing at a low level and one point is not a real advantage, or?

I think if I play on court I must know the rules. I'm not talking about a few friends who just play for fun. Even if I play at ow league level, you will sometimes meet somebody who will say to you: "Hey, your serve is kinda high." I would think about myself and if it is true, I would be sorry and would work on my serve instead of doing the same mistake on and on and on and ignore this feedback. This is IMO ignorant and rude. Same for too early rushers.

I normally fault anybody who do a illegal serve in social playing. If there is no advantage for them, I wouldn't say something during the game and if they are beginner, I would try to help them and give them small advices to serve correct after the game without anybody else's eyes.

But some people have really evil serves which drive so flat, that they can't be legal. I wouldn't cry about a swip, but flat drives and fooling movements to make the opponent to rush, which also generate fault of the receiver, I don't think it's fun at all.

I try everything to play 100% clean. I also called by myself a let during a league game, while the girl served at me short and wasn't ready without giving a sign. I'm honest and try to be 100% honest and correct as sportmanship and in respect to my opponent and the competition and with the reason that we just play at low level you can start of beeing flexible about everything in terms of rules, but you wouldn't play badminton anymore.

stradrider and dave010 like this.
  8. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I played a guy the other day who I noticed was moving when I made the backswing on my serve (low serve to T). I told him about it, but he didn't stop. I started placing all my serves wide (singles game) and he almost fell over himself trying to return them. :D

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He is allowed to move but not step until the shuttle is struck, right?

10. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

It is a fault if one or both of his feet do not remain in contact with the ground in a stationary position until the server strikes the shuttle (Rule 9.1.4). He could not receive a wide serve because he had forwards momentum from moving early that he would not have had otherwise.

11. phihag

phihag Regular Member

The precise wording (italics my comments) is

dave010 and Cheung like this.
  12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I really disagree with that last point. Just look at how important the service situation is in world class badminton...so you really cant make the point that the service has no impact on higher levels. My experience is actually that just these small details can give a sizeable advantage at a high level if the teams are pretty evenly matched otherwise, and starting your serve 10cm too high with the racket pointing upwards can give it that bit of extra tightness that's needed to force an upwards shot and get on the attack straight away.

I would in fact argue that the service gets more important the higher the level is, if you're talking doubles. Not as much in singles though, even though a blatantly illegal serve can give you some advantages there as well (very flat flick serve for example).

13. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Yes Jackie it is important at a higher level. i defo agree, but im getting the impression the OP is talking about lower level. TBH in local league level i dont bother being an arse about serves. Who cares, its not the All England. I would start being a bit more serious about it in regional/county matches or tournaments. But generally in league matches i try not to be too fussy about service action.

14. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

A low level player can also take a game and badminton in general as serious. Even if it's the lowest division they can play league and competitive. For playing with friends or beginners I would be relaxed, but as long as I loose points during league game or a tournaments because an illegal service is taking advantages, I have no tolerance. It's not fair. I don't play a big event, but I also try my best on court, I'm honest and I want to win. Even it's just for the ego or a sixer of beer is the price. If somebody is not respecting the rules and starts to beeing flexible he can play with friends for fun, but not competitive. Yes, we do it for fun, but also for the ego, for our team and we want some serious and decent matches and this inside the rules.

phihag likes this.
  15. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

In a low level tournament, as long as the illegal serve isn't gaining advantage and isn't too blatant, I'd say let it be. Lets all remember that a serve can be illegal and fair at the same time.

16. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Lol, in lower level some times people can do serves you never see in real tournaments... I had a guy smashed me in the face with old style forehand serve, shoulder high with racket 45 degrees up... And he was tall..!! I politely asked for a let and he was ok with that :cool:.

yippo888 likes this.
  17. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    hahaha