Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Challenging Umpire Calls

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Jim H., Dec 17, 2016.

1. phihag

phihag Regular Member

This is based on a misunderstanding of how the HawkEye system works. In this case, the delay between challenge and graphic indicates that the old system (camera + IRS umpire + HawkEye technician) is in play, and not the new fully automatic one (which has questionable results as well, but that's another discussion). With the old system, the IRS umpire makes a decision, and a technician positions the shuttle on the graphics and enters the result. A discrepancy has happened before.

Therefore, it is not possible to infer the quality of the decision from the quality of the graphics. The decision may be incorrect still, but the pretty pictures we see are unrelated to it.

This is incorrect. While there are referee instructions for every tournament, when it comes to such a general aspect of the laws, the only instruction a referee will ever give to the umpires is follow the existing regulations. Referees, sometimes themselves being asked to improve certain aspects (e.g. reduce time wasting), sometimes do ask the umpires to be a little bit stricter or more lenient towards some aspects of the laws. However, I have never experienced, and cannot imagine, referee instructions going outright against the official regulations (RTTO).
    And those official regulations do include your first claim, but flatly contradict the second one:

2. Jim H.

Jim H. New Member

I agree that most of the situations are still confusing or too close where you can still give benefit of doubt to the umpire's call after instant review, But players should be allowed to challenge if they think a call is wrong because after all they are the ones who'll suffer psychological pressure on spot, especially if set/match is close to the end. One point sometimes makes huge difference.

In this clip, Lin Dan is super pissed caz umpire believes he is standing on the line, second time, though he does stand very close to the line but come on...! probably just exercising his power, king in the forest :)

I'd say if umpire calls are just 1% wrong, still that might ruin someone's moment of victory. Mostly Danish players are very emotional and they take such faults to their heads and even stop the game sometimes requesting tournament referee :)

And I do agree that in doubles, most of the players serve above the waist most of the times but they will always argue that they were right :) but sooner or later things will start to get more transparent as technology progresses.

3. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Regular Member

The umpire, as an arbitrator and adjudicator, cannot be wrong, ever.
    But as s/he is human, there is some consideration, otherwise we would never have much to discuss or argue.

In this match, the umpire clearly saw the player's left left leg encroaching the court. This is not a belief. This is a violation of the law. Ergo, fault. Could the umpire have been clear why the fault was called? Yes? the signal for foot fault is clearly defined in the law. Should he have mentioned this to the player. Looks like he did. Did the player adjust. Apparently, not. Is that the umpire's fault? No.

Will the referee take any decision if s/he appears on court, with/without the player's beckoning. In this case, not. It was a matter of fact situation that the umpire ruled on, not an interpretation of law.

Most everyone [will] agree, the umpire must make correct decision in key match incidents. These are the ones to get correct. Why? Then, the umpire not only has the respect from the players, but also improves his/her credibility.

The other, and very important, aspect of being an arbitrator/adjudicator, is to clearly communicate the decision. This is clearly proscribed in law. [The commentator mucked up but citing something that is not valid.]

Even now, as a spectator, I fail to understand what is the point in shutting the microphone, as this umpire clearly does fiddling with the right side of his waist. As an umpire, I would not turn the microphone off. Why? I prefer to have the instruction clearly heard by all, including the opponent player(s).

I reckon this match was played in 2015; the latter COC-Tales have clarification to umpires to not turn the mic off. Referees, who may be occupied with other matters, need to hear while watching other courts, that way, they are prepared.

#23 juneau-AK, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017