Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    ok, thanks.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Long's victory over Lin Dan in the QFs of the Aussie Open SS, his second after the previous BAC win in end April, didn't go unnoticed in the Chinese newsmedia even though it's only a quarterfinal match. http://sports.qq.com/a/20170624/000509.htm ( I won't be translating as most of what's written are already well-known). Suffice to say the author is stating that Chen Long is proving himself to be CHN MS leading player and a most worthy successor to Lin Dan.

Incidentally, I've just checked their H2H, it's now 7 - 8 , only one up in favour of Lin Dan but with Chen Long winning four of their last five encounters as pointed out by the author.

Btw, Chen Long has his many adoring fans clamouring for his autograph, watch the video attached which was taken at the Sudirman Cup last month.

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

That H2H is a joke. Walkovers count as a loss. Lin Dan gave plenty of them to CL before London Olympics. Lin Dan leads 9-4 overall including their CBSL match.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Even so, Chen Long winning four of their last five encounters is truly significant, indisputably.

There's no denying The GOAT, Lin Dan, is now off his prime as age catches up with him as well as his waning motivation. But on those occasions that matter to him and when he really sets his mind to it, he can and will deliver, I believe. Let's wait for the Glasgow WC.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Chen Long will take another long break from Badminton and won't return to action before Denmark Open.

6. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

If WSX came along to Glasgow he would've won :D

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hahaha, if only.:)

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.enorth.com.cn/system/2017/09/06/033679389.shtml

On the evening of 5th September, Chen Long's match was not arranged for center court No.1. That Men's Singles 1/8 match, his opponent was fellow teammate from the national first team and Jiangsu representative Lu Guangzu, is generally regarded as one not likely to cause any surprise.

In the first set, Chen Long was for a time leading 18-15 and yet lost it 19-21." The first set was quite a pity, maybe it's due to playing the Men's singles right away after the Team event, I couldn't focused my energy well. Especially when you've the chance to win and your opponent put up a very fierce fight. Lu Guangzu, from the get-go in G1 to the end of G2, was playing at a relatively faster pace and comparatively more decisive." In G2, Chen Long was trailing throughout and was stopped 13-21 at the round of 16. "

Lu Guangzu after emerging victorious was not at all excited. He expressed that Chen Long did not perform to his proper standard, committed too many errors, finally leading to his defeat. " We don't play much in the national team, I have few chances of beating him, even then it's only by 3 or 4 points."

Chen Long, upon returning from the Glasgow World Championships has to immediately enter fully into the Chinese National Games, admitted to being unable to make the switch between the two events properly and it affected his performance." Those able to participate in the World Championships are also the main strengths of the various provinces." Furthermore, Fujian Team is the defending champion and Chen Long is also its main force. In the earlier team event, Fujian Team progressed all the way to the final for which Chen Long invested a lot of energy. After that, Chen Long rested for a day, and entered the Men's Singles event today (5th Sep), " according to competition schedule, it's already the third event now." Having lost the MS match, Chen Long's quest at the CNG came to an end.

He indicated he would first take a break and properly treat the injury , a pulled thigh muscle (which he sustained at the AE actually), that he's been carrying since the world championships till now and then participate in the year-end competitions.

dave010 likes this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think nobody can help Chen Long now, except Wang Shixian. When Li Yongbo was around, even he was reluctant to berate him for underperforming when it mattered, choosing patience, empathic understanding and encouragement to help him get back on his feet. With Xia Xuanze in charge, knowing his character, he's even less likely to issue Chen Long any veiled threats let alone an ultimatum.

Since the Rio Olympics where Chen Long attained his pinnacle, he's been in indifferent form apart from some injury concerns for a little more than a year now. As CHN MS hasn't been delivering the goods, far below expectations actually, for practically the whole the year, Chen Long has a bounden duty to step up to the plate as the 34-year-old Lin Dan really has nothing to prove having already contributed more than his fair share of the burden and, rightfully, should not be not required to assume the mantle.

I recall how XXZ and Zhang Ning at the Glasgow WC was talking to He Bingjiao during the intervals and between games, in a soft , gentle and smiling manner, not even a stern look as if the coaches were so fearful of unintentionally upsetting the poor girl and caused her to break down there and then. While much can be said for such a considerate,sensitive approach, you still have to be firm and put your foot down when needed. Mollycodling won't achieve any results if chances were repeatedly given and the best of heart-to-heart communication attempted but the message simply fails to get through.

I mean, the rewards and punishments have to be seen to be fair and just and accepted by everyone to produce the desired outcome.

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Maybe Chen Long wants Lin Dan to lead Thomas Cup 2018 after recieving brutal scars from TC'14 and TC'16 and Costing People's Republic of China dearly.

Chen Long may have spoken to Lin Dan in this regard.

11. lippro

lippro Regular Member

Chen Long just appears jaded to me. TBH though, he's overachieved in his career relative to his potential, so whatever he does now I think he'll be satisfied when it's all said and done.

samkool likes this.
  12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just too bad that LCW is on the downhill slope himself. Had this been earlier, LCW would have won his first major.

13. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Shoulda woulda coulda...
    That's sport though

14. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan blasts fragile 'Champions'

Media speculates comments meant for Chen Long

[​IMG]

'' Some think winning World Championships or Olympics is the end. I think that marks the beginning not the end. I hope these young players continue to work hard rather than ending their career after one or two majors.''

http://sports.eastday.com/a/171027124623490000000.html

Pirayeba67, stanleyfm and Justin L like this.
  15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    that's what practice & training time is for.
    it depends on the athlete, and the coaches better know how to deal w/ varying personalities. some kids simply do not respond well to added pressure in a pressure situation.

the culture changes w/ each successive generation. training/coaching methods of the 80's would never work in today's world.

16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    agreed.

one other major point: there's only about a 3-4 year window for an athlete's peak playing condition. why does everyone expect chen long to dominate for a long time? he had his run and since he won 3 big ones along the way (2 wc, 1 og) everyone thinks he should be winning most of the time. chen long & carolina marin are on parallel paths. there's nothing 'wrong' with them. they can still win on occasion but their peaks are over.

i don't expect anyone to dominate for more than 4 years in any individual sport. it's rare, but great to see, when someone does.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Agree, there is no one size fits all approach, and also have to take into account gender differences. A capable coach , in my opinion, needs to have both IQ and EQ in good measure.

Pirayeba67 likes this.
  18. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Well, I think LD said it best, winning a major is the beginning, not the end. That is why he is considered the greatest ever, he did not stop at 1, he won everything multiple times, whether it be Worlds, All England or Olympics. Chen Long, with his Rio Gold became the second player after LD to have won all three major titles of badminton (And he won the Worlds and All England twice). One does not do that having a weak mentality. I think that Chen Long has been injured, we saw a great deal of strapping on him at the Worlds, and he said he was injured after he lost the China National Games. I think he is slowly coming back into form, and that he will experience a resurgence. Otherwise, he may be the second greatest player of all time, and he can retire that way, but potential is there for him to achieve even more, if it is simply just a physical problem, and not him being satisfied

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Still don‘t understand why people value the majors so much. Just because CL won the WC twice and the Olympics once automatically makes him the second best player? Really?

20. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

I think he is the second best player of all time, no other player has won all three major titles, not even Taufik. Also, Chen Long has been winning superseries since like 2010, he has been at the very top for the better part of a decade. No other player barring LD and LCW can lay claim to that. Taufik declined very quickly and Peter Gade was never really the best player in the world (Top 5 for around 15 years), but the LD and LCW pretty much always beat him, and once Chen Long came about in 2010/11, he was beating Gade too. Pre LD and LCW, no one sustained excellence like that.