CHN/KOR/INA WD pair disqualified from the Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by FlamingJam, Aug 1, 2012.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

And the bwf man speaks;)
    [video=youtube;Y5eJcvtM0Yg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5eJcvtM0Yg[/video]

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

And the chinese pair speaks;)
    [video=youtube;PmCvUAIlkeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCvUAIlkeI[/video]

3. Racekonijn

Racekonijn Regular Member

IT-Developper
    Could someone translate into english plz.

can't understand a word of it :D

Thanks!

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

firstly we would like to apologies to all badminton fans that we didn't played to my best in the match.
    this is the first time that we play group matches in such a big t'ment.
    after we won our two previous matches and qualified we thought we could take it easy (a lame excuse IMHO).
    we promise that we will play our best from now on.
    That was from YY so assuming the review was before they knew about the disqualification.
    But their body languages said otherwise!?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Chinese players usually don't comment on these things, let alone apologizing for it. esp LYB who also apologized for "his players". it was an order from higher up in the Chinese contingent who made them do it.

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

in the just finished table tennis the commentators have nothing but good to say about the sportsmanship of the two top Chinese players.
    i'm afraid it's really the leadership of China's badminton that causing the problems.
    may be it's about time for Li Yongbo to go no matter how good of his record.

#266 AlanY, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

8. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
  9. Weily

Weily Regular Member

Assistant Quantity Surveyor
  10. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
  11. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
  12. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

many people already predict 'something' could happen, the organizers didn't put much effort trying to minimize it, and when it finally happen, throw the penalty on players when they become the hero. wow!

agree with statement above (who did say it, btw?). this is olympic games, and every single medals count to decide their nation's standing on the medal tally. if a team/players have opportunity to maximize their chance in medals hunt (being it avoid teammates to make chance bigger, or meet teammates to make sure one will keep going), i think most of the team/player would give it a try. afterall, the system used provided (indirectly, off course) some room for it.

and like the 1st quote above, i think many people already realized that the group system is proved to be prone to some tactical/strategical maneuvers in it. not only in badminton, some other sports maybe also have experience with this. and if it's really the strategical thing, you can't blame them for trying. afterall, tactics or strategies are part of the game, aren't they?

yes, what the players shown to the crowd absolutely shameful and not good. but what they did are understandable, even not 100% guilty free.

just my opinion after read many comments on the topic. :)

13. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret

14. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    The problem is -

The Athletes and their coaches care about winning, and would use all means "legal" to do so.
    The fans, however, couldn't care less who wins - they want exciting matches.
    The other countries that don't have enough athletes to use this kind of strategy would of-course join the rank and file to condone such act.

15. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

but LD's walkover reasons got doctors / medical staff's support. how about it? he did it legally then i supposed?

16. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Taken to the hospital and examined for what? What are they going to say when you tell them you have an upset stomach? "Er no you don't"?? Stomach cramps are the easiest thing in the world to fake.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well said.

That's why I call it sour grape. So, instead of do the training and improve their own system, they play the political correctness games to back stab. Whatever...

18. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    That's just the typical american answer. "You're upset because you're bad".

It would make sense if the involved countries didn't condone the acts, however both the leaders and citizens of these countries condone the act.

This is the classical "Does the end justify the means" question, and the moral answer to that question has always been no. However, people don't think in a moral way nowadays, blaming your faults on someone else is much easier.

P.S. I'm not saying the BWF and IOC can't be blamed, but trying to justify the players/coaches/teams is just wrong.

#278 yan.v, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  19. H8work

H8work Regular Member

Good to see the Chinese pair apologizing maybe the problem is that the badminton event felt like just another superseries tournament, where they can get away with it. An OLYMPIC badminton tournament should be different somehow it only comes every 4 years. I personally would like to see a knockout round and to see more countries involved, and yes I know some countries are out classed but it gives the other countries a chance to participate you never know an upset could take place where a lesser know country could topple a powerhouse. It has to be made more special somehow it's the Olympics and don’t forget the Olympics is a great way to showcase the sport outside the badminton community. I'm in Australia and the only news coverage the sport gets is the disqualification. It deserves better.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The problem is, Olympic itself is far from pure sport and common wealthy these days. Boss and fans will not give Yu and LYB a break (or 7 others), even if they do boost up the image, but lose a medal... There're always 2 sides of the story, and I do feel it for them, even though, I do not entire agree with what they did.