Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Chun Seang quits - Malaysia to decide on 2 remaining SEA Games slots

Discussion in '2009 Tournaments' started by Loh, Sep 14, 2009.

  1. Loh

    Loh Regular Member

    Oct 9, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Stock Broker
    Singapore Also Can
    The Star Online
    Monday September 14, 2009

    Choice for two remaining SEA Games slots down to four

    PETALING JAYA: With Tan Chun Seang having quit the national badminton team, the fight for the two remaining singles slot in the team for the Laos SEA Games has been narrowed to four players.

    The 23-year-old shuttler, the Sukma (Malaysia Games) gold medallist in 2006, submitted his resignation to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) earlier this week.

    Singles chief coach Rashid Sidek said that Chun Seang, who reached the quarter-finals of the Indian Open and the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold tournaments this year, would have been a front-runner for a place in the team.

    “At this moment, Lee Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim are the ones assured of places in the team for the Games in December,” he said.

    “The other two singles spots will be decided among Chong Wei Feng, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Liew Daren and Kuan Beng Hong. I will leave the selection to their coach (Hendrawan).”

    Although Chun Seang’s decision to quit may come as a surprise, Rashid said that there was nothing much they could do if one had made up his mind.

    Chun Seang felt that he had to make the decision, especially when he has become more frustrated with his performances since he won back-to-back satellite Open titles in Vietnam and Singapore two years ago.

    “I thought I could start moving up after that. But it did not come. I am not getting any younger and I felt it will be even more difficult now.”

    Chun Seang added that he had yet to decide on his future plans.

    Chun Seang’s decision to quit the team came soon after back-up squad coach Hendrawan announce that he would not get to play in the Vietnam Open next month. The Indonesian has also decided to keep Beng Hong at home, saying that the two players had not showed quality in training.

    Chun Seang: “I thought I could start moving up after that (winning back-to-back titles). But it did not come.”

    Attached Files:

  2. george@chongwei

    george@chongwei Regular Member

    Jul 12, 2007
    Likes Received:
    i think liew darren and chong wei feng will make it
  3. eaglehelang

    eaglehelang Regular Member

    Sep 19, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Yup, we already discussing this in the elit back-up, back up thread

Share This Page