Common Misconceptions

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by manduki, Sep 12, 2005.

1. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Well, since badminton is taught at different levels and phys-ed teachers may alter the rules for max game play for his purpose. There are a few rules that no one, I mean NO ONE in my school knew and after I enlightened them, they did not believe until the coach vocuhed for me.

1. Your racket CANNOT cross over the net anytime. It may cross if the birdie was on your court when it was hit and if it was the result of a swing motion originated from your side of the court.

2. You can NEVER cross underneath the net with your feet or racket. you may cross if the opponent is not distracted so that he cannot perform the shot.

3.You CANNOT lunge at a serve. You cannot move until the birdie is hit and at that time you may do anything.

4. You CANNOT clash your racket. As long as you both don't hit it its fine.

5. If you play (hit) a shot that was the result of a double it counts! No it doesn't.

6. If the bird hits the net during a serve, it is considered a "net" and a reserve occurs. This isnt ping pong~~

7. You may go to the bathroom/leave the court after each set. You cannot leave the court for the first two matches but you may bring water to drink in between sets. You may go to the bathroom after the second set.

I know there are more out there. I think that it is a main problem when people representing their schools don't know the rules themselves. We should alert at least the BF'er's about these concealed rules. All feedback is welcome and corrections as well. I may have been wrong in the above rules.

2. terror

terror Regular Member

ive heard numerous arguments about this one. i was pretty convinced i was right until my playmates came at me altogether. i always thought that for singles, the service line is the one all the way at the back? ie the shuttle is in when u serve and it lands between the 2 lines at the back? or am i wrong:confused:

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

you are correct

4. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

Yes, the singles service line is all the way to the baseline.

There was a time however, when I was a kid, when I insisted that the doubles long service line was in fact the "out" line for singles. Managed to convince my cousins and we played many a good game in a truncated "singles" court :p .

5. other

other Regular Member

Student
    is that "all in one motion" thing still around?

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes. Double hits are perfectly acceptable, provided they occur during a single stroke.

7. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    When i say double i mean like one partner hits it and the other gets the rebound ie. drive

8. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    Other Common Misconceptions

There are other "misunderstandings" such as in serving:
    - both feet must be in contact with the floor. No foot lifting off the floor allowed. Often you see young girls lifting a foot by trying to get extra power on the serve.
    - racquet moves in a single continuous motion. You cannot swing racquet forward, then back and then forward to contact the shuttle.
    - racquet head must be lower than the lowest part of your hand when contacting the shuttle. If not, we can all serve tennis style.

9. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    does your feet or bird have to stay in the box while serving?

10. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    Your feet must be inside the box (and not touching the lines).
    Your bird does not need to be inside. I am 6 ft tall so I usually lean forward to get closer to the net (less air time for the shuttle in air). However, the bird must be tight to the net or I will be eating the serve return.

11. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

isnt it just the racquet head must be lower than ur waist??

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Nope. Rule 9.1.6.

There are two main rules about serving here - shuttle below waist, and racket head below hand. Read the laws!

13. egibooga

egibooga Regular Member

OK!!!!:):):) but its quite hard to get ur hand under ur waist and below ur racquet head and serve a good serve over :) lol
    dont u agree??

14. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    You want to practice now before getting called on illegal serve when in competition. :D
    Gollum is right. I read from a previous post that serve judges are using a player's elbow height to determine the "waist level". Therefore, technically speaking, the shuttle has to be below the lowest part of your rib cage (on the side of the body).

I agree with Gollum know the law of badminton is the best option. When in competition, I was accused serving illegally. I gave them the rule book and said show me which law I broke and they could not. There is a saying in North America - know the rule so you can break it properly. :D

There are other things that a player can do to make the serve more diffcult for the oppenent to see. For example, the English player Natalie Munt waits till the last second to set the shuttle and then she serves with a second or two. That is really hard the opponent to jump the serve.
    However, Ms Munt did not do that serve during the WC 2005. I wonder why.

#14 OTFK, Sep 14, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  15. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

Ooohh......learnt something new today!

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, but that's not what the laws require ;) Read them carefully: racket head below racket hand, and shuttle below waist.

With double hits, remember that a stroke must be a continuous motion. You can't hit the shuttle up in the air, and then smash it!

17. samtruong200

samtruong200 Regular Member

when you serve you cant hit the net? is that what one of the post said?

18. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

that was an example of one of the misconceptions

19. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Just to be clear, if the shuttle touches the net during service and lands within the service area, it is neither a let nor a fault. It is a valid serve.

Though the misconception is popular: http://westlake.k12.oh.us/hilliard/whspe/badminton/badminton_rules.htm #3

20. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    My old friend and coach used to do a serve with he body angled so her shoulder was obscuring her hand and contact point of shuttle!